• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cerakote R700 bolt

HPMike800

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
Phoenix, Az
It looks like a lot of guys are Cerakote-ing their bolt body/handle/shroud assembly. I have a bolt that really needs a color change, is this OK to do? Does it hold up?

I assume you don't do the lug area.

Any advice from experience in this area would be a great help.

Mike

Re: Cerakote R700 bolt

Cerakote is pretty much a standard. All of mine have held up quite well. No complaints. Get it done, you won't regret it. Duracoat is another option, as is Nitriding, etc..

I wanted Cerakote on mine, but Todd from Phantom Finishing talked me into MicroSlick, a close cousin of Cerakote, but with enhanced anti-friction properties.

And of course there is always IonBond, which is more expensive, but more permanent.

AZ brought up a good point in a discussion. It's not really a R700 it's a Stiller Predator. The bolt clearance is about 1/2 my R700.
Is anybody have semi-custom with a Cerakoke bolt and having sticking issues?

Are Cerakote bolts sticky in general?

Mike

I just had mine done. Its a Rem 700 with a PTG bolt. The lugs were done as well. I always use a bit of grease on the bolt so I haven't noticed any binding. Seems to holding up well so far, round count is around 200.

I have a GAP built .308 with Surgeon action. The whole bolt is Cerakoted except bolt face. The action is super smooth and have never experienced sticking. There are some scuff marks on the body of the bolt and the Cerakote has worn off on the rear contact points of the lugs.
I am happy with the Cerakote finish. AZPrecision is right about letting the finish cure for a week. I think that's how I got the scuff marks on the bolt body.

I've got a GAP Cerakoted SA bolt and it's the smoothest 700 bolt I've ever owned.

Just go ahead and do it. Like said above everything but the bolt face should work, don't have to do the lugs. Flat Dark Earth or Tan will show the most wear over time and the quickest.

Nothing wrong with coating bolts to tight actions with H-series.

We use C-series right now. I just prefer not to coat the aftermarket actions.

But its fine if done right.

C-series on 700s has worked out very well so far. When I can have H-series sprayed for me I will change what I'm willing to have coated.

I use DuraCoat on mine, makes it slick, but it takes multiple coats to get it to hold up and you have to let it cure for a month after being baked or it starts coming off.

Cerakote seems to hold up much better than Duracoat, but it will still wear, as will basically anything you use on it. That said, a little finish wear has never bothered me, since the hidden areas that are typically susceptible to rust are well-protected by the coating.

As for the lugs, I don't mask them off, I just don't spray them directly if I'm coating the whole bolt. With Duracoat I mask off the entire bolt head starting just behind the lugs.

-matt

ETA: I definitely wouldn't spray the lugs on a trued or custom action, factory guns have a ton of headspace so a thou or two isn't going to lock them up, but a zero-headspace custom may be another story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mike </div></div>

I find it makes them work much smoother. It's really good on slide rails of automatic pistols and the slide bars on shotguns.

I just coated mine in H-Series and I think I found a pointer. I knocked the hardener down to 21:1 for a great matte finish, however I think more hardener would be better for a smoother harder finish which would make it smoother.

So thin and higher hardener ratio 18:1 would be better. I'll probably be doing a touch of wet sanding to wear it in a little faster.

I had the lugs done with the whole bolt, and the areas of wear are just the full contact areas. Which are very few and I had no problems with closing the bolt. It wore down on the lugs on the contact points. I wonder from being old school if Robar still makes the best finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it wore off the lugs that quick it was not properly applied. Surface prep would be suspect. There is no tougher finish than Cerakote. </div></div>

Birdsong?

Just don't expect it to be a "forever" finish. As others have said, all the coatings wear off eventually. But the plus side is that when they do, you can always reapply!

Here's a Surgeon bolt done in FDE/Microslick on the bolt body. Microslick goes on extremely thin, and as the name states is super slick.

Regards,
Paul

Surgeon006Large-3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cap-ttf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hired Gun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it wore off the lugs that quick it was not properly applied. Surface prep would be suspect. There is no tougher finish than Cerakote. </div></div>

Birdsong? </div></div>

Birdsong is nice but still not near as tough. The Tabor abrasion test doesn't play favorites. If it were comparable Birdsong would allow it to be tested but they will not submit the product or test plates for testing. Unofficial tests show is to be comparable to Duracoat. Means it comes right off in my blast cabinet similar to Duracoat. Good Cerakote takes a lot more blasting to get it all off.

AZ brought up a good point in a discussion. It's not really a R700 it's a Stiller Predator. The bolt clearance is about 1/2 my R700.

Mike

I was advised against the bolt on a stiller tac 30 due to clearance issues. Greg Young stated that the stiller .003 bolt clearance - cerakote thickness + any foreign debris has lead to issues with the them.

This was regarding cerakote and he stated it also depended on the skill of whomever the applicator is, as a thicker coat could exacerbate issues.

Last edited:
Im about to send my PTG trued bolt / receiver out for coating with the rest of my barreled action, It will be coated in bake on H-series cerakote..

Im still undecided on whether to coat the lugs...

I would like too but am nervous..

Im about to send my PTG trued bolt / receiver out for coating with the rest of my barreled action, It will be coated in bake on H-series cerakote..

Im still undecided on whether to coat the lugs...

I would like too but am nervous..

I had my bolt cerakoted on my Cooper action and did not coat the lugs. The lugs were lapped and polished, so it didn't make any sense to me to cover that up. Also with tight tolerances I didn't want any binding issues. IMO

The coating will wear where there is high spots in the coating and tight clearance areas (the rear of the lugs).

Has anyone considered parkerizing the bolt body? I was told from GAP that they prefer to parkerize the bolt body.