• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Cerakote Vortex: will it lose value?

daybreak1199

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
I am waiting on my Vortex Razor HD 5x20 to show up any day now. During the wait I started thinking about customizing the color of the scope to match the rifle, something similar to Flat Dark earth or cyote brown, but I also starting wondering if I do airbrush this scope with the air cure Cerakote will I also be lowering the resale value if I should ever choose to move on to a different optic...any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
V/R
Jason

Re: Cerakote Vortex: will it lose value?

what i generally do w/ scopes is use Brownells Aluma-hyde II...

it's tougher than krylon, air dry, and resists firearms oils and solvents well, but if you want to clean it off...acetone does the trick quite well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what i generally do w/ scopes is use Brownells Aluma-hyde II...

it's tougher than krylon, air dry, and resists firearms oils and solvents well, but if you want to clean it off...acetone does the trick quite well. </div></div>

What is the finish like on the Aluma-hyde II, is it fairly mate finish or do you need to shoot a coat of clear mate over it to take away any sheen or gloss?

Thanks for the input guys!
V/R
Jason

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a very nice finish, good and flat. +1 for alumahyde. </div></div>

^^^ Yup

The Aluma-Hyde color chart on Brownells shows the Desert Tan color to be almost pink or peach colored. Has anyone used this color before?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> think a white sand beach </div></div>
Yes, i'm thinking about that, sounds pretty damn nice...kinda relaxing the way you put it...but, ya it doesnt sound like a good fit for the color scheme I currently have. The Dark Brown and Flat Dark Earth would be the two I would consider. The thing I was a bit worried about is thickness of the Aluma-Hyde. The Cerakote I can apply with an airbrush in a very fine fog so I am able to coat parts with a very thin layer.

I like the price of the Aluma-Hyde and the ability to remove the coating is also another big plus since I am a worried about affecting the re-sale value of the optic.

You're guna love it and never guna want to re sell it

It depends on the buyer, however, as it applies to anything in general items left in stock condition with a box usually hold their value higher than something that has been "customized" just my opinion.

Agreed with above, if you modify it from original condition and try to sell it that way, your pool of buyers will likely be reduced.

Will it lose value? Maybe, but I will add badass, and badassness cannot be valued...

Not only will the scope lose value but as was said brfore you will lose potential customers. When I see a scope or anything else that has been coated or even painted with removeable paint that is for sale I move on unless it is a smokin deal. I watch these boards all the time and the non stock stuff stays much longer than the stock stuff. No matter what it is.

If you plan on selling it then don't coat it.
If you are going to keep it then why not have it the way you want.
The 'painting' will limit your customer base but IF you do a really good job then it will sell at some point.

It's an awesome scope. Why buy it if you're already thinking about selling it?

I was just thinking about keeping the value of my investment, but I do not ave any plans on selling it. I'm still waiting for it to be shipped. I ave been checking out some of he local sops in my area that do hydro dipping. It isn't cheap, but hydro dip sure looks good.

Agreed it is not an investment. It is a tool. You may be able to recoup a large portion of what you paid for it when you go to sell it. Yet you will not make money on it so it is most definitely not an investment.

I plan on painting my S&B and US Optics scopes. I really don't think it is going to impact the price I get when I go to sell them, if I ever sell them. It may just take a little longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet you will not make money on it so it is most definitely not an investment.</div></div>

Actually that's not correct. It retains value (one of the qualities of an investment) and if you get any meaningful use out of it then you're getting a return although it may be a non-financial return. It could be winning a tournament, killing a pig, or (if you're LE or mil) saving someone's life.

We can't all be blessed with perfect foresight as to whether a piece of gear will work before actually using it in the field. Either way it has value and there's wrong with thinking about preserving that value.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreiaugen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet you will not make money on it so it is most definitely not an investment.</div></div>

Actually that's not correct. It retains value (one of the qualities of an investment) and if you get any meaningful use out of it then you're getting a return although it may be a non-financial return. It could be winning a tournament, killing a pig, or (if you're LE or mil) saving someone's life.

We can't all be blessed with perfect foresight as to whether a piece of gear will work before actually using it in the field. Either way it has value and there's wrong with thinking about preserving that value. </div></div>

Sir these are wise words from someone who understands the nature of investments. Well written

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daybreak1199</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just thinking about keeping the value of my investment, but I do not ave any plans on selling it. I'm still waiting for it to be shipped. I ave been checking out some of he local sops in my area that do hydro dipping. It isn't cheap, but hydro dip sure looks good.</div></div>

This is a awesome option. I know someone who does this so get the buddy discount but if i had to pay more i would still do it. Lots of options in camo and patterns. Got a shotgun done now going to do an AR and my glock with the same pattern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dreiaugen</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DamnYuppie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yet you will not make money on it so it is most definitely not an investment.</div></div>

We can't all be blessed with perfect foresight as to whether a piece of gear will work before actually using it in the field. Either way it has value and there's wrong with thinking about preserving that value. </div></div>

One of the qualities of an investment? That is silly, an investment is an instrument one puts money into with the <span style="font-weight: bold">expectation</span> of getting more money out of at some future date. Anything other then that is a purchase not an investment.

The intent of the purchase is what matters, if you don't expect it to appreciate in value then it is NOT an investment. Purchases phrased as such are tools salesmen use to bilk idiots out of money so they can feel good about themselves.

I'd say if there is a possibility that you'll resell it I wouldn't change the color, regardless of what a seller says, I always question kit that's been coated. Unless I'm looking for something specifically in a certain color. Just my 2 cents