• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cerakote vs DuraCoat

bronxmurdock1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2014
Colorado
I have an AR that had DuraCoat put on it about 4 years ago. Unfortunately the rifle was not treated properly before the DuraCoat was applied, and now it is starting to peel off. Long story shot I have a local gun shop that will strip the rifle of the old DuraCoat and apply Cerakote or DuraCoat correctly.
So my question is which is better?

Latest Gen of Cerakote would be far superior on metal surfaces…. and if I remember right, DuraCoat was more pliable than early Gen Cerakote…… which is why it was Rec'd for plastic/nylon items/AR's and that was 'many' years ago.

Duracoat is an air dry epoxy paint. Google Sherwin Williams Poulene which is what Duracoat is. It is a decent paint and is durable if applied properly but most don't. Cerakote is another animal altogether. Ceramic coating than must follow rigid prep and cure times. When done correctly it can't be beat.

Will properly applied Duracoat hold up well on a rifle at all ?

The gunsmith that is applying my Cerekote said the difference between the two if they are applied correctly are:
1. Cerekote is a ceramic base coating so it stands up to wear and tear, but if dropped on a rock or concrete it can crack. If it cracks you cannot just do a touch up, instead you have to strip that piece and reapply.
2. DuraCoate is a paint base that holds up great to impact but not to wear and tear, however if you scratch it you can apply a touch up.

This is why I started this forum post, because I have a DuraCote coating already on my rifle but it is peeling due to improper pre-treatment application. Moreover, I wanted to hear what the other guys on this site had to say about their preference, and it looks like Cerekote is the winner.

We have everything to do Duracoat here and have done a few ar15 ' s . We were about to try some bolt guns but was wondering about the bolt area how it holds up ? Like you said touch up on the outside is no big deal but if it's a no go on wearing areas like a bolt action then we may need to step up the ceracoat instead.
Thanks

Cerakote -- the chosen color will wear via color degradation, but the properties are still doing their thing.

If Cosmetics are more the goal, then i'd reconsider and use Krylon or Dura for the touch up abilities.

The gunsmith that is applying my Cerekote said the difference between the two if they are applied correctly are:
1. Cerekote is a ceramic base coating so it stands up to wear and tear, but if dropped on a rock or concrete it can crack. If it cracks you cannot just do a touch up, instead you have to strip that piece and reapply.
2. DuraCoate is a paint base that holds up great to impact but not to wear and tear, however if you scratch it you can apply a touch up.

This is why I started this forum post, because I have a DuraCote coating already on my rifle but it is peeling due to improper pre-treatment application. Moreover, I wanted to hear what the other guys on this site had to say about their preference, and it looks like Cerekote is the winner.

I've been applying Cerakote for a few years now and I've never seen cerkote crack.