• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Cerakote

Ferryman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2009
UK
Ok here is the deal.

I removed the barrel from a Rem700 and sent the action off to be blue printed, have a cut rifled, fluted barrel installed. They also chambered it for 300WM

The barreled action was then sent off to the proof house where they proof fired it. (A legal requirement here in UK)

I then wanted the barreled action cerakoted.

The company carrying out the work then sent it to the NIC Certified Cerakote coater.

Imagine my surprise when the guy calls me to tell me he has an action, recoil lug, barrel and muzzle brake all as seperate components.

Do any of you guys strip the rifles right down before cerakoting?

Re: Cerakote

how it comes in, is the way it goes out, i like to do it in seperate parts myself,who is doing the work? what did they say

Hi Dave
Not going to start throwing names around but how would the average guy be expected to re-install the barrel.

I was just surprised as when we built rifles on the M98 action we always sent out a barreled action for blueing, we never sent barrel and action seperate.

Is this something special to Cerakote that you coat the parts individually also you risk marring the finish when you clamp the barrel in the barrel vice

i find it hard belive your smith has sent you it in parts not complete.
cerakote or any other can be used on parts or complete rifles, so long as the smith is carefull with assembly, just dont put loads of paint on threads.
its the smiths job to assemble it, if JS took it apart to paint they should have put it back together, give them a call and a chance to sort it ,
if your having probs drop me a line ,should be able to stear you in the right direction

You can Cerakote a barreled action without disassembly.

I personally wouldn't want cerakote between my bbl shoulder, lug, threads and receiver.

The rifle should be ready to shoot before cerakoting.

My .002

Edited to say: Bed the barreled action after cerakote. It's obviously a build up finish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally wouldn't want cerakote between my bbl shoulder, lug, threads and receiver.

The rifle should be ready to shoot and bedded before cerakoting.

My .002 </div></div>

+1, Barreled action is left as a barreled action for coating. The bolt comes apart and the scope base comes off but that's about it.

here is mine, it was done as one piece
IMG_2957.jpg

Thanks guys that was what I thought
But wanted to here what everyone else thought

Well this story gets even better.
The company doing the smithing sent me the invoice, but it was only for rebarrel and proof no mention of blueprinting.

I phoned up and queried it and the woman said she would have to check, well I gave them my MasterCard and told her to charge for everything I had asked for which was blueprint action,fit Holland recoil lug,supply and fit cut rifled barrel, thread and install Roedale MB.

A few days later I get the receipted invoice in the post for all of the above.

As I said in the begining the rifle was sent off to be cerakoted as parts not a complete barreled action.

I called the guy doing the Cerakoting and asked him if the action was drilled for the pin in the Holland Recoild lug, and no it has not been drilled.

I call the company and get told we only fit the pin if the action is already drilled for it.

If you want us to drill and fit the pin it will be a further $120 plus taxes.

I told them to just rebuild the barreled action and I will put it all down to experience.

Bear in mind I had already paid over $1500 for the work.

Now I have the nagging doubt did they blueprint before it went off to the proof house or did they strip it down and blueprint after I called?

Lesson learned.

Just to hammer in a point a little more. I've never taken a barrel off to do the coating. I disassemble the entire bolt assembly, coat and then reassemble it, but the barrel is better to remain on. If the cerakote is applied separately then the head spacing and timing will be changed due to the build up of cerakote. It may not be a lot, but still it could be as much as .002 depending on how much coating was applied.

Hi Todd

That is exactly why I sent it back to the company that did the work.

As I said a lesson learnt, I will certainly NOT use that company again nor will I recomend the smithing service to anyone else.

Their barrels definitely.

Just while we are kinda on the subject, what about a Savage barrel and action? The barrel doesn't have a shoulder but I guess if you got too much in the threads it could cause a problem. What's the thoughts on this one?

mike

Just a quick up date.

I just opened my e-mails and there is one from the guy doing the Cerakote.

I had told him I would collect the Rem870 on Tuesday as I am in kis neck of the woods (3 1/2 hour drive) and would the Rem700 be ready also.

Well no my Rem700 will not be ready because he has not got it back from the company that did the work.

Now bear in mind they have had my money, the major work had been done and all they had to do was screw everything back together and ship it back to the cerakote guy.

I would have thought if everything had been done already and allowing that perhaps as a goodwill gesture they drilled and installed the pin for the recoil lug a day was more than enough time for the work.

As I said a lesson learned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just while we are kinda on the subject, what about a Savage barrel and action? The barrel doesn't have a shoulder but I guess if you got too much in the threads it could cause a problem. What's the thoughts on this one?

mike</div></div>

If you have to coat the barrel separate from the action, tape off the threads before blasting with AO and cerakoting. Just make sure that you don't blast or cerakote contact areas.

Well I collected the Rem 870 and I am eally pleased with the result.

Cannot wait for my Rem700 to be done and actually get to shoot it.

So any Brits on here want Cerakote call James at Jager Sporting Arms.

AZshooter this is in an AICS 2.0 no way does it need bedding IMHO

Update:

Well I was totally amazed this morning when the mail arrived

The postman had a box which I signed for and in it was my Rem 700 Action, Holland Recoil Lug, and the Roedale Muzzle Brake.

Border Barrels who had undertaken the work originally, had sent everything back together with a cheque in full refund of the monies I had paid.

The letter enclosed with the action stated and I quote.

"On reflection, I regret that I have concluded that we are not competent to carry out the work that you require done to your satisfaction. Please also find enclosed a cheque for £1054.22 which is a complete refund of the monies you have paid to Border Barrels.

I apologise for the inconvenience this will undoubtedly cause you.

Dr Geoffrey Kolbe
Managing Director "

So I am know in the position where I need to start over again.

Any recomendation for a good quality barrel that is available in the UK.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally wouldn't want cerakote between my bbl shoulder, lug, threads and receiver.

The rifle should be ready to shoot before cerakoting.

My .002

Edited to say: Bed the barreled action after cerakote. It's obviously a build up finish. </div></div>

Listen to what these guys say!
Keith cerakoted my bolt just recently. These guys do good work and their customer service is outstanding.

Neil

Hi Paduan

Mine was .300Win Mag fluted barrel

I will probably go Lothar Walther.

Charon,

Try Swift Precision for your Smithing work.

Richard Pope: 01527 871 620
[email protected]

Richard is based in Brum and I really rate him. His prices are reasonable and his work is good.

Richard did the trigger on my Howa 1500. I just have to think and the gun goes bang. Its a fantastic trigger, AND it's factory. He adjusted it so well. Give him a call and tell him that Neil sent you.

Neil

Thanks Neil

Your the second person to recomend Swift, another recomendation is Steve Kershaw.
One way or another I will get it sorted.
Thanks