• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Cerakoting ring interiors.

redcastle

kaboom
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2013
TN
I'm in the process of building (well, Predator Custom of Knoxville is actually building it) a custom .300WM on a 700 action. I've taken every step I can afford to maximize the accuracy of this rifle (action blueprinted and trued, recoil lug surface ground, Mcrees Chassis (not sure if it should be skim bedded or recoil lug bedded). I'm ordering Badger Ordnance rings and base and was pondering on whether or not some of these components (scope, inside of the rings, and base) should be cerakoted. Can a professionally applied cerakote leave an uneven surface on these components? Can everything but the interior of the rings be coated? Should the rings be affixed to the scope and then the package cerakoted? So many questions... Fire away!

I'm in the process of building (well, Predator Custom of Knoxville is actually building it) a custom .300WM on a 700 action. I've taken every step I can afford to maximize the accuracy of this rifle (action blueprinted and trued, recoil lug surface ground, Mcrees Chassis (not sure if it should be skim bedded or recoil lug bedded). I'm ordering Badger Ordnance rings and base and was pondering on whether or not some of these components (scope, inside of the rings, and base) should be cerakoted. Can a professionally applied cerakote leave an uneven surface on these components? Can everything but the interior of the rings be coated? Should the rings be affixed to the scope and then the package cerakoted? So many questions... Fire away!

Sometimes I coat my rings, sometimes I don't. Personally, if you want them coated I would coat them, and lap them in after they are coated that way you have nothing to worry about.

Cover the inner area of the rings in blue painter tape and cut it along the edge so there is no overhang. You will have to replace the tape after blasting and before painting. Comes out perfect.

Sometimes I coat my rings, sometimes I don't. Personally, if you want them coated I would coat them, and lap them in after they are coated that way you have nothing to worry about.

+1 on the lapping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk