• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CFE 223 Powder from Hodgdon

biggin69

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2003
New Mexico
I just received 16 pounds of CFE223 from Graf! Im going to start working up some loads for my 18" OBR using 168gr SMK, CCI 34 primers, processed LC brass and a starting load of 46.6gr of powder per Hodgdon's web site. Has anyone worked up a 308 load with this powder yet?

Your thoughts, ideas and pointer are always appreciated!

I will post some chrono data after this weekend at the range.

CFE223Powder.jpg

Re: CFE 223 Powder from Hodgdon

Very interested in this. I was going to try 2000MR for some loads, but maybe I should try this instead...

Can't wait to see how it performs in an 18" barrel.

A buddy of mine just ordered his oly 22-250 Ar. We planning on giving cfe223 a run in the 250. I will post results when we get some load data.

didn't realize it was available yet. I just picked up the new 2012 Hodgden loading manual (the one that's like a magazine) and it is on the cover and has some loads for it inside. also 300AAC Blackout, and a few other new calibers (6.5x204 wildcat article is pretty cool).

I'll check into ordering some up. looks like a nice powder...

everything on it sounds good but they don't say how much temp. change affects it.most ball powders are very temp. sensative.i've been using 2000mr in both .223 and .308 and the stuff is awesome.would like to try some of this but would like to know how much temp. affects it before i dive in.i don't have much use for a powder with wide temp. swings.pp 2000mr averages about .6 fps difference per degree for me which is pretty damn good,if this stuff is that close i'll try it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everything on it sounds good but they don't say how much temp. change affects it.most ball powders are very temp. sensative.i've been using 2000mr in both .223 and .308 and the stuff is awesome.would like to try some of this but would like to know how much temp. affects it before i dive in.i don't have much use for a powder with wide temp. swings.pp 2000mr averages about .6 fps difference per degree for me which is pretty damn good,if this stuff is that close i'll try it. </div></div>
Do you think 2000MR would be a good powder for .22-250? I was looking to load it for my 308 but since I keep hearing great things about it, if it would be a good match for my .22-250 that would be great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bgweed</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">everything on it sounds good but they don't say how much temp. change affects it.most ball powders are very temp. sensative.i've been using 2000mr in both .223 and .308 and the stuff is awesome.would like to try some of this but would like to know how much temp. affects it before i dive in.i don't have much use for a powder with wide temp. swings.pp 2000mr averages about .6 fps difference per degree for me which is pretty damn good,if this stuff is that close i'll try it. </div></div>
Do you think 2000MR would be a good powder for .22-250? I was looking to load it for my 308 but since I keep hearing great things about it, if it would be a good match for my .22-250 that would be great.
</div></div>not sure about 22-250 but absolutely rocks in .308 and .223 with heavy bullets.might check their web site.

I just bought 8 lbs to try in .308 and .223. I'm a little worried about temperature sensitivity myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought 8 lbs to try in .308 and .223. I'm a little worried about temperature sensitivity myself. </div></div>
I was trying to be patient and wait for range reports on .22-250 and .308, but I, too, just bought 8lb to try in my .22-250 bolt and .308 gas guns. Ordered from PowderValley yesterday, so hopefully here by the weekend. From what I've gathered, St Marks makes both 2000MR and CFE223, and both powders have the same "features", so I'm willing to bet they are same/very similar. 2000MR seems pretty temp stable, so I'm hoping to get similar results from CFE223. I'll try to work up some OCW results next weekend, and weather permitting, shoot the same load on different weather days and see.

I've been told it's way better than BL-C2 and 748, but not as temperature stable as the Hodgdon Extreme powders. I should have some shortly after SHOT.

Went to the range last weekend with my 26" 1:9 .22-250. I loaded 3 shot groups with 52gr Amax pills across a range of charges. Charge weights were from 5% under max to 2% over. Good consistent POI from 38.4 - 38.6 - 38.8gr. I also saw a fantastic group at 39.4gr. I loaded up 20 rounds of 38.6 and some groups from 39.2 - 39.8 to see if there's another accuracy node up there.
I also made up some 308 loads with 175gr to try this wknd but weather isn't cooperating.

Well I went to the range today to try out the 175s and refine my .22-250 load...
55deg F, sunny, 10-15mph wind from 1 or 2 o'clock.

I started out with the 175s, and they were all over the place. 6" 'groups' at 100 yd. I was stumped and disappointed.

I switched to my .22-250 and with 52gr Amax and 39.6gr of CFE223 I layed 3 shots in .21" vertical and .51" horizontal.

While I shot my bolt gun, my friend shots my 308 and he can't even tell where his shots are going...
Another friend has his AR there, so since we both have QD mounts, we put his scope on my rifle and my friend was able to put 20 rounds of factory Winchester ammo in 1.5MOA...

Long story short, we think the loaner scope I had on there (a Millet while I'm waiting for my Viper PST) is drifting like crazy and I'm going to try to re-make those loads and try again tomorrow if I can. We weren't so sure about the scope to begin with, and it looks like we just confirmed our doubts.