• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chainlink 4X4

G

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w_F7QrR4Ur8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w_F7QrR4Ur8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Chainlink 4X4

Amazing. Ive never seen that design before. That thing could probably easily win any rock crawling contest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Side</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amazing. Ive never seen that design before. That thing could probably easily win any rock crawling contest. </div></div>

I'm wondering what the military thinks of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Side</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amazing. Ive never seen that design before. That thing could probably easily win any rock crawling contest. </div></div>

I'm wondering what the military thinks of it.</div></div>

Exactly. It's got all the good attributes of a wheeled and tracked vehicle with seemingly none of the draw backs. Only thing I could see going wrong would be breaking one of the arms or whatever it would be called.

Modify that design a little bit, upgrade the engine and add a turret for a gunner and yeah, that would basically be right up the .mil's alley.

I'm curious if they have experimented with similar designs. If they have, and there isn't a vehicle in the works, it means a serious design flaw for .mil application. If not, they need to get on this. Who ever is designing the current crop of vehicles at the regular force level needs to have their balls superglued to an electric fence because they're friggin worthless in the way of actual maneuvering. This design not only allows the freedom to maneuver on a level never before seen in a military ground vehicle, but expounds on it beyond anyone's wildest dreams compared to the current crop of fielded vehicles.

This would make NTC and A-stan <span style="font-style: italic">interesting</span>.

i am curious as to how the wheels are powered. must by hydraulic cause i am not seeing shafts of any sort going to the wheels. pretty nifty

The wheels are chain driven.

80865d1229696361-extreme-4x4-chain-drive-16.jpg

More pics here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/50929-extreme-4x4-chain-drive.html

Chain driven doesn't necessarily mean weak. Most of the transfer cases in 4x4 vehicles on the road today are chain driven, most of the motorcycles are chain driven. When you get down to it, even a tank is a chain drive. There's something to be said about simplistic operation of a chain driven system. If it works in an aircraft...there's got to be a good reason it's there.

The military would likely not go with the expensive (good) version of a chain. They'd figure "hmm, we'll break a lot so we'll keep it cheap" and then they'd break a lot. What the bean counters don't realize is that when it breaks, a lot, is that it will likely be in a very bad timeframe for the user end operator. The Army's savings would have to compare favorably in relation to projected losses and monetary cost involved there. It likely would when all factors are figured. Minimum training for the mechanics on fixing them as well. A lot of OJT. Wouldn't happen? It did with the MRAPs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As suggested previous; go to a hydraulic drive, and you'd be golden. </div></div>
+1
With a piston pump that has stroke control both ways, and a Engine power and speed governor that talks to one another you'll have the best of all worlds.

Back in 1985 I built a hyd. 6 wheel drive end steering, traction machine with a fuel injected 20 hp Briggs and Stratton that had the engine an pump held in a Gimbal. All the hyd fluid went threw the Gimbal, nightmare starting out, but worked slick at the end. Working on another one in retirement, but this one has a Diesel, and the ability to change ride height while traveling up to speeds of 55mph. 70 mph is target. I thought it was over back when, until I started working on a direction changeable Sprag.

Now that I am retired, lots of things I wanted to do years ago are now coming to pass, life is good some days.
smile.gif

This has been around for quite some time. The reason it never really took off is b/c 1: Chain drives are an inherently crappy weak design, and 2: Although "flexy" as hell, there's no real downward pressure on the tire that you need there to be b/c the weight of the vehicle isn't being utilized.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As suggested previous; go to a hydraulic drive, and you'd be golden. </div></div>
+1
With a piston pump that has stroke control both ways, and a Engine power and speed governor that talks to one another you'll have the best of all worlds.

Back in 1985 I built a hyd. 6 wheel drive end steering, traction machine with a fuel injected 20 hp Briggs and Stratton that had the engine an pump held in a Gimbal. All the hyd fluid went threw the Gimbal, nightmare starting out, but worked slick at the end. Working on another one in retirement, but this one has a Diesel, and the ability to change ride height while traveling up to speeds of 55mph. 70 mph is target. I thought it was over back when, until I started working on a direction changeable Sprag.

Now that I am retired, lots of things I wanted to do years ago are now coming to pass, life is good some days.
smile.gif
</div></div>
Sounds like some neat projects. Got any pictures? I know nothing about hydraulic drives, but it sounds interesting.

Never been in to taking project photos, sorry. If your really wanting to get into Hyd drives, look here.

http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/forum/index.php?s=aac0924a4bb34c6122f4176428e0ddba

The best thing going in today's world is a pressurized inlet two or three stage pump, and wheel motor combo where both pump an motor can be stroked. Add a computer system that has the ability to control the prime mover as well as both stroke controls and your gold. You O&M costs an weight drop like a rock compared to std systems, but front money is larger.

The same thing can be done w/o a computer, front money is way down, weight is up and O&M is 3 times higher.

Yea no weight pushing down would be a bad thing. Looks like it has some good concepts though. Still would be one heck or a ride to play with as well.