• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chainsaw chaps

It depends upon the saw. A corded electric saw is going to be very difficult to stop if the user keeps mashing the trigger; the series-wound motors used in these saws can provide ma massive torque at low speeds and are very difficult to stall. Modern cordless saws with brushless motors will often have overload protection, and thus will stall if blocked. They also don't have the stored kinetic energy of a gas saw. At the least, a good set of chaps might buy a moment of time in which to let off the trigger.

Disclaimer: I haven't personally tested either type of electric saw against my chaps and will continue trying not to.
I have a super old electric DeWalt, I think, that a good friend gave me, I'll dig it out for a photo op.

This happens quite a bit. Even pros have it happen. Always I mean always keep your thumb around the handlebar. Lots of people do it with their palm and if you get a kickback their is nothing to keep the bar from hitting your face. Thumb lock it in and you can react to a kickback. Also cutting with the tip. If you just have to keep a death grip on the handle bar.

Unless you're Superman you're not going to be able to muscle out of or react to a large unexpected kickback.

The kickback where the bar shoots up towards your head is caused when the top front (90°) of the nose of the bar comes into contact with the wood. Happens super fast. Chain brakes are designed to help prevent injuries from these types of kickbacks, but a good helmet won't hurt.

images.jpg

green-industry-continuing-education-series-august-2013-chainsaw-safety-4-638.jpg

Chaps may have saved my life on a solo wood cutting incident several years back. Tree started to fall and i was on a hill. As i stepped back to get away from the tree i brought my leg up and let the saw down right on top of my thigh while the chain was still moving pretty good (although my finger was off the trigger). Hit the chaps with a thud but i didn't have them on tight enough and they rolled with the chain and exposed my leg to the chain. Ended up with 8 stitches but it would have been way worse otherwise. Funny thing is it was the first time i ever wore chaps. My family got them as a gift for me after i got my property and my wife made me swear to wear them since i was alone and didn't have cell reception. I never cut without them after that.

So what exactly happened?
Don't get me wrong, I didn't see the accident. I saw his sewed up leg and pictures.
But...
He was cutting the base, nose kicked back and because of his leg being kicked out across the dirt while sitting, the bar got him on the outside of his calf. He said he didn't feel a thing.

Reactions: Ravenworks
And you know what else is fucking w my head???
The literal hours and hours running the saw. A tree guy, throughout his day doesn't put the saw hours in like a guy cutting rounds on the lot. I have a couple hundred gallons of gas through saws over the 15 years I've been commercially selling firewood.
It's like this, Im pushing the odds here. No injury's from a chain w all these hours has me spooked after seeing his leg.
I'm not cutting again w out them.

Thanks again mudda fuckkas, lol.
I've burnt maybe a gallon of gas through my saw in the last 5 years.
I'm older and that 350 is to heavy.
Regardless of how much I use a saw I always wear gloves and chaps and most the time safety glasses.

Reactions: oneshot86
Unless you're Superman you're not going to be able to muscle out of or react to a large unexpected kickback.

The kickback where the bar shoots up towards your head is caused when the top front (90°) of the nose of the bar comes into contact with the wood. Happens super fast. Chain brakes are designed to help prevent injuries from these types of kickbacks, but a good helmet won't hurt.

View attachment 7789408

View attachment 7789409
Chain brakes work...

I use longer bars it helps w not getting it w a bad kickback.
My biggest kickbacks come from, in the log pile, when my nose hits end grain of anouther log, it will kick. Not so much if nose hits outher logs side.

If you drop the rackers too far and nose ito something, it will fucking surprise you.

Last edited:
Chaps may have saved my life on a solo wood cutting incident several years back. Tree started to fall and i was on a hill. As i stepped back to get away from the tree i brought my leg up and let the saw down right on top of my thigh while the chain was still moving pretty good (although my finger was off the trigger). Hit the chaps with a thud but i didn't have them on tight enough and they rolled with the chain and exposed my leg to the chain. Ended up with 8 stitches but it would have been way worse otherwise. Funny thing is it was the first time i ever wore chaps. My family got them as a gift for me after i got my property and my wife made me swear to wear them since i was alone and didn't have cell reception. I never cut without them after that.
Thanks, great tip on.....

Wearing the shit correctly...

Sorry you got hurt bro

I've burnt maybe a gallon of gas through my saw in the last 5 years.
I'm older and that 350 is to heavy.
Regardless of how much I use a saw I always wear gloves and chaps and most the time safety glasses.
Now, I wear seeing glasses that keep the shavings out of my eyes, but I will confess, when my eyes were good, I mostly didn't wear protection and paid for it a couple times when the wind fucked me and I got an eye full.

Wear glasses young dudes

I started as a ground-man on a truck. The bucket guy was trimming close to the truck and I was headed to one of the tool box doors on the side. I stopped short and looked up, to make sure I was safe.

Right then he cut the power line and it swung down BOOM 💥 BOOM 💥 BOOM 💥 hit the chipper and blew the line. If it had hit me it would have blown my head off. 🤯

I freakin hated working on a truck as a ground man. When they needed climbers, I jumped at the chance. I was a natural. They nicknamed me fire-starter because I would light up brush piles to stave off the cold Maine winter. We’d march in through two feet of snow at 7 am carrying our gear. As soon as we got some limbs down I’d make a pile and light it up. 🔥

They had me train new guys and that was terrifying. Some folks are just not cut out for that.
I started as a laborer, moved to climber, finished out as an bucket 'operator', LOL got tired of it and moved on. Its not a career for the feint of heart. Those chippers can suck you right in and .....I heard of a guy whose hand got caught in the brush...pulled him, snapped his neck when he hit the ramp, then chewed his arm off. Glad I missed that one.

I did watch a guy in a 40 ft book just clear the power lines when the boom broke. I was looking right at him, the hook of pure terror in his eyse I wont forget. He was lucky, he was safety strapped in, the boom landed square in the cradle, bounced a couple times and stopped. I got out shortly after that because they wouldnt do proper maintenance on the equipment..

View attachment 7789408

View attachment 7789409
If youre experienced, strong, and have a REALLY GOOD TIGHT GRIP on both handles, you can usually control it. Doesnt mean it wont make you sit down and shake for a while.

I started as a laborer, moved to climber, finished out as an bucket 'operator', LOL got tired of it and moved on. Its not a career for the feint of heart. Those chippers can suck you right in and .....I heard of a guy whose hand got caught in the brush...pulled him, snapped his neck when he hit the ramp, then chewed his arm off. Glad I missed that one.

I did watch a guy in a 40 ft book just clear the power lines when the boom broke. I was looking right at him, the hook of pure terror in his eyse I wont forget. He was lucky, he was safety strapped in, the boom landed square in the cradle, bounced a couple times and stopped. I got out shortly after that because they wouldnt do proper maintenance on the equipment..
Every now and again if I was back hurt, I would hire a guy to run a saw for me, cash.

Good for the both of us.

No. It was a dumb ass move.

One of my friends broke his back twice and compound fractured both bones below the knee on one leg.

Nobody had insurance. He's on the hook for 400k and has 5 fused vertibre

Nobody works for cash for me no mo.
It costs more but I want everyone on my good insurance, combined w workers comp

Every now and again if I was back hurt, I would hire a guy to run a saw for me, cash.

Good for the both of us.

One of my friends broke his back twice and compound fractured both bones below the knee on one leg.

What is workman's comp running these days. Last I paid it for workers it was about 13%. Between that, half the SSI, with holdings, and paying the accountant or CPA it almost makes it not worth having your own show.

Reactions: Holliday

Good for the both of us.

Not only that but there are too many pieces of shit that want to scam you by faking stuff.

Reactions: oneshot86
The mounty hat, and wooly chaps would lead me to believe otherwise. If he really was no one would claim him.

(I know it’s the man posting I’ve seen his other posts) I’m just being stupid I couldn’t keep it going lol
He's earned far enough 'cred' that if he chose to, he could wear one of them 'beanie-caps with a propeller on top' and there's not many MEN who'd say a thing.

He's earned far enough 'cred' that if he chose to, he could wear one of them 'beanie-caps with a propeller on top' and there's not many MEN who'd say a thing.
But he's also a big enough man to take some fun being poked at him.

Them chaps is purty :love:

What is workman's comp running these days. Last I paid it for workers it was about 13%. Between that, half the SSI, with holdings, and paying the accountant or CPA it almost makes it not worth having your own show.
It costs alot of money to make money. I'm no brainiac, but I would suggest, you better like to work. AND you better like to work like a bastard, otherwise youre going to wash out

I was a climber. I worked for Asplundh on their so called brush crew. We trimmed around high tension power-lines, where the trucks couldn’t go.

Climbing a tree in 20 below in Maine and firing up a chainsaw will test your salt. They didn’t have chaps back then.
I'm embarrassed to say this ^^^^^

I've cut in shorts and sandals too many times to count.

For the most part, I should have been worries about the fall protection i didn't have either.....

I'm down to three saws now so......

.....my luck seems to be.......

damn you guys and you're common sense.....

Yea it was a freakin dangerous job and they paid shit wages. I once had a piece of dead spruce come out of the chipper and go right through my lower lip. Put some bandaids on it and finished out the day.

I was notorious for my jump cuts, which would shoot the limb straight from the tree and bounce it off the powerline. It was a no-no with the power company but a lot of times it was the only safe thing to do.

I used to love to rappel. Sometimes I would trim going up, then tie in and rapple as fast as I could. More then once folks thought I was falling……😱

I eventually quit and worked for various arborists. A lot safer and paid a lot more. I did some of my own jobs too.

This Thread Is Useless Without Pictures

Ok, I’ll go.
DEC 2014
88986103-6AE5-4D61-AE1A-8E234B806FD3.jpeg
F2E90B40-4337-4DA9-85D1-2FC1B1A1415D.jpeg

I was clearing a fence row, cutting saplings and privet in a thicket. Had to fight my way in to get the saw to the base of a small oak on the fence. When it fell I quickly backed out of the way but got caught in the briars, which stopped the momentum of my body but not that of the saw. It went into my knee, but fortunately I was out of the throttle and it was spinning down. My untouched-but-exposed patella is just visible in the depth of that wound. The blood you see is all there was. I drove myself to the ER and took the wound pic before they cleaned it up. My jeans did absorb a bit of blood though. Never used chaps before, but bought some immediately after. I went with Stihl, but they have different levels of protection. I went with the higher level.

It costs alot of money to make money. I'm no brainiac, but I would suggest, you better like to work. AND you better like to work like a bastard, otherwise youre going to wash out
I love to work. even when I dont have to. Body feels good and you sleep well at night. I never could understand these characters who just want to sit on the couch.

Ive known to guys who flat out said, "Im not gonna wrk." One ended up in a nut house and one spent most of his life in prison, then on welfare.

As far as Im concerned, if you dont work, you dont eat.

2 THESSALONIANS 3:10

KJV
For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

That would be pretty funny actually.

Men don’t get butt hurt over shit talking.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer

Ok, I’ll go.
DEC 2014
View attachment 7789483View attachment 7789484
I was clearing a fence row, cutting saplings and privet in a thicket. Had to fight my way in to get the saw to the base of a small oak on the fence. When it fell I quickly backed out of the way but got caught in the briars, which stopped the momentum of my body but not that of the saw. It went into my knee, but fortunately I was out of the throttle and it was spinning down. My untouched-but-exposed patella is just visible in the depth of that wound. The blood you see is all there was. I drove myself to the ER and took the wound pic before they cleaned it up. My jeans did absorb a bit of blood though. Never used chaps before, but bought some immediately after. I went with Stihl, but they have different levels of protection. I went with the higher level.
I want to touch it.

Ok, I’ll go.
DEC 2014
View attachment 7789483View attachment 7789484
Damn dude…. I never got cut by my saw. Knicked my pants a couple of times but otherwise I was just damn lucky.

I'm embarrassed to say this ^^^^^

I've cut in shorts and sandals too many times to count.

For the most part, I should have been worries about the fall protection i didn't have either.....

I'm down to three saws now so......

.....my luck seems to be.......

damn you guys and you're common sense.....
I used to ride my dirt bike in shorts and flip flops if it makes you feel better. Granted it was probably under 25 around the house.

Reactions: Jim Out
I used to ride my dirt bike in shorts and flip flops if it makes you feel better. Granted it was probably under 25 around the house.
Probably shouldn't admit this, I put the welding gloves over the sandals because gravity......

......I have more than one pair.

EDIT: that didn't come out right....

....or did it?... ;)

I've never used chaps. Been using a saw since I was about 9 years old. With dad's help of course. Got my first saw at 14 for Christmas. Almost 35 now and several saws later I've yet to wound myself. Never even really thrown too many chains. I usually run short bars though, 18-24" and I run my chains pretty tight.
I've taken to a 28" lately and I've thrown a chain twice but fortunately I've come out alright. They say the Lord watches over fools and little children. My cousin got himself, he was bleeding but nothing serious. Friend of mine ran one across his leg just above the knee, he wasn't as lucky and ended up needing some stitches. He's a believer in chaps now.

My old waffle faced Hart framer doubles as a steak tenderizer.

What about a thread for framing nails shot through your finger from an air gun. Did that….
I've come close with a roofing nailer. Killed an air hose or two. Come to think of it I've had close calls with framing and finish nailers also. Holding a board, maybe has a little bow in it, or a little twist, pull it over and pow! Nail comes out right by your finger.

Reactions: Holliday
Another vote for Labonville full wrap chaps. And order a forestry helmet too. Both have paid for themselves in avoided injuries.

Reactions: Two36
Got a little concerned about electric/cordless saws vs chaps (and Stihl warns about theirs) but they still seem to work.

I just saw a tree guys handy work on his leg. Nobody is running a saw here without a set anymore.

I'm interested in what y'all have and your opinions
I got bit in 1986 while cutting firewood on a friend's ranch. I had been running a pneumatic drill, boring holes in rock to load with dynamite and got in the habit of leaning the drill against my left thigh.

I switched over to a 031 Stihl to cut some firewood and out of habit leaned it against my left quad right below the jeans pocket. It kept me from competing in the Steel Challenge that year.

I have a deep 4.5" long scar and some pain when it's cold to remind me of those good ol' days.

I ran a chainsaw for years cutting firewood and clearing brush before there was such a thing as chaps but if I ever did any serious chainsawing now I would wear leg protection.

I have a good basic pair, cost about 70 dollars. They have worked twice to save my legs when things go slightly wrong. One was a guy who swung his chainsaw sideways and caught my leg, they stopped the chain instantly. They are far cheaper than the doctor visit, every time.

Baileysonline.com

I look like an OSHA safety poster when running the chainsaw. A few things in life you don’t fuck around with:

1) Chainsaws
2) Sharks
3) Alligators

I've come close with a roofing nailer. Killed an air hose or two. Come to think of it I've had close calls with framing and finish nailers also. Holding a board, maybe has a little bow in it, or a little twist, pull it over and pow! Nail comes out right by your finger.
Guy working for my dad managed to put a large framing nail through his dick into his femur, ouch.

• Wow
Reactions: XP1K
chaps have their place BUT

they are a trip hazard waiting to happen just say no AND

Get yourself the chainsaw pants they are the way to go after climbing trees around power lines for a living they served me well

Alternatively get someone or yourself to sow the chaps into a decent set of pants cos they are expensive

My old waffle faced Hart framer doubles as a steak tenderizer.

What about a thread for framing nails shot through your finger from an air gun. Did that….
I'm glad the kids snagged my California framer. I hit myself in the thumb TWICE in 09. First time the gorilla swing and the waffles did an ugly job at taking the thumbnail almost off. Put some masking tape on it and next swing...no more nail, that damn hammer had me all nervous just moving it around in the barn, I'm glad I can't find it

e310a453-0f3f-44cc-95f6-bfaa009e5b1a-jpeg.7789568

Mine was about 8" up, right on the quad muscle.
Mine didn't bleed much, as if the hot bar cauterized the wound. Looking into my ripped jeans, I was surprised to see how white human flesh was, like a quail breast.