• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Challenge me with your .223!

Lazer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Kc MO
image.jpgimage.jpgJust wanting to have a fun competition for factory .223 bolt guns. There's a lot of guys out there with factory .223 "hammers" so let's see what they can do! The rules are simple, much like the 100yd shoot out but 223 only.
1. Has to be 100yds prone, no adjustable rests
2. 5, 5 shot groups on one page, please be honest
3. Only restriction on rifle is has to have factory barrel all other upgrades are fine!
4. measure w calipers and write measurement beside each group ( I'll post an example)

Pictures of rifles and load info out of those factory barrels will be very cool! It will also be benificial to those new shooters/ hand loaders (like I once was) who don't know where to start with there new .223. If i missed anything or if there's anything unclear please let me know. This is just a fun competetion to see who is squeezing every last bit of accuracy out of that factory .223 bolt gun. Hell this may help to end the savage vs remington debate! He he!
Remember this should be a very simple and fun challenge so please be honest about your shooting and have fun!

Mine is a remington sps, factory trigger, manners stock, nightforce scope, local company suppressor
Load was: 52smk, 26.5 varget, fed gm205m, some (very well used in a semi auto) remington brass
( I suck downloading pictures btw)

Last edited:
I am currently working on one of r700 223 varmint Dicks specials now to see what I can do with accurizing it. It is in an HS PSS stock and has a Timney trigger. It is currently at the smith getting 6" of the barrel removed, but it is still a factory barreled action. I look forward to joining this once I rework up loads for the 20" bbl vs the 26" bbl.

Ryan

Right on guys! Looking foward to the entries. I'm gonna try to "widdle" that .732 group that fucked me, down to a .400 ish like the rest of them (I hope) then I'm gonna cry when I take this to my gun smith for the kreiger rebarrel I already ordered, because I thought this rifle was a piece of shit!

I've got a LTR .223 in the safe and would like to join, but I also have a broken ankle so it will be some time before I can. Good luck.

lazer do you have your base bedded to your action? that will help tighten those groups up. I used J B weld to do mine.

Gator, no j b weld here. And your funny (tighten those groups up) haha!

I will get to the range and shoot five targets with 52's also. I have an untouched, bargan big box 12tw. 26" 700. Good stuff.

Im in. Ill be at the range as soon as weather permits. Ive got a brand that will surprise everyone I think. Ill post asap.

I love all the people that are in and no targets...so Ill say im in as well!! ha

-Rem "tactical" deal 20" barrel at smith getting barrel threaded now.
-Manners stock ordered
-Burris XTR2 ordered
-69 smk's using TAC (havnt worked load yet)

-(spot reserved for photo)

Regards,
DT

I love all the people that are in and no targets...so Ill say im in as well!! ha

-Rem "tactical" deal 20" barrel at smith getting barrel threaded now.
-Manners stock ordered
-Burris XTR2 ordered
-69 smk's using TAC (havnt worked load yet)

-(spot reserved for photo)

Regards,
DT

Bigger the challenge.
No ordered parts here. Just life. I will get to it and smoke.

Is a Cooper Model 21 eligible to enter? Not exactly a factory gun but not a custom gun either. Need a ruling.
Thanks

Jim

the 100 yd shoot out has a coupel factory sps that are shooting the same. Im really impressed with teh 223 ones. not so much with the 308 ones.

Jim, I don't know based on price that cooper is no where near a 700 or savage or anything alike. But what the hell its a grey area and a nice gun so bring it on! Btw no more border line customs this is about factory barrels.
Usmc: I thought I edged the factory sps out in the 100 yd competition? What I can find says they are in like the .600s but let me know?
Thanks guys!

Lazer,
Since the Cooper is border line I'll enter with a Savage Model 11 Lightweight Hunter.
Thanks for the exception but since it isn't what you intended I'll come in with a Savage.
Just pulled it out of the safe. Weather is good today. I'll go shake the winter rust off.

Jim

Right on Jim!
And to all of the guys w rem sps 9 twist that are having luck w those 69 smks, I don't know what's so different about my rifle. I shot a 5x5 this morn w 25.3 varget and fed 205gm, and the average was like .750 , shit was flyin everywhere! And yes I have been up and down with the powder, 25.3 seems to be the best.

Look; I hate to come across like a Wuss, but...

Some of us elder farts can no longer manage Prone, and shoot off rests. When we do comps, the bench shooters shoot alongside prone, they(we) just have their(our) scores segregated into the bench group.

Also, I have an original R700 VLS 223 (12 twist) with some weird kind of rifling erosion out at the muzzle end. Can the original barrel remain legal if shortened?

Greg

This was a "load workup" target for my SPS tactical .223 while testing different OAL's. Stock barrel, Timney Trigger, bargain Cabela's scope, take-off H-S Precision (from a 5-R Milspec) a Harris Bipod, and a range provided sandbag. Even the same, stock, gritty, bolt.

ry%3D400

I am now using the load shown in the center target, top row for my "slow load". I use 25.0 gr of CFE 223 for my fast load and shoot targets that look like this. The rifle has since been rebedded as the first job was just a hurry-up, get it done attempt to see if the H-S stock was worth working with on this rifle.

This is what targets look like with the new bedding job and the faster load. Only other "improvement" was a "bean bag" rear bag rest about the size of a soup can from Triad Tactical.

ry%3D400

Sorry that the second target doesn't have 5 groups but I'll take care of that the next time I go to the range.

Greg, yes as long as the barrel is factory the length doesn't matter. I don't know what to tell you about shooting prone, but from my experience sitting at a bench w an adjustable rest invites far less variables than prone w bags or a bipod. So I'm sorry but we have to keep prone as a standard. Thanks for being honest!

Dead, very nice! Can't wait to see that 5x5 with those 73 bergers! Don't know what's different about my rifle but I can't get shit out of those 69 s, as you can see the lighter bullets are better in my gun, I can't imagine going heavier but maybe I shood?

tag for later. waiting on my stock to be inlet for m5 dbm. I have a 20" sps, shilen trigger, pss takeoff hs stock with ptg bottom metal. I have some 69gr loaded up, but haven't even shot this thing yet. Bought it last November because I got a good deal on it and wanted a winter project. Have some 69gr smk loaded up with varget that I will be trying in it. pics and groups once I get the stock back.

Dead, very nice! Can't wait to see that 5x5 with those 73 bergers! Don't know what's different about my rifle but I can't get shit out of those 69 s, as you can see the lighter bullets are better in my gun, I can't imagine going heavier but maybe I shood?

I get some great accuracy out of 52's as well but I'm saving them for my 'summer bullets". They wander too much in our winter winds here which don't come from a single direction. They change frequently, sometimes every few seconds. Last week I had some surveyor's tape at the 300 y target line. One piece was hanging off the bottom of my target frame that I just hang over the range's target boards. There was another piece of tape that was hanging off the upper target board, right next to my target. The upper tape was indicating a full value 9 O'clock wind. The Lower Tape was indicating the same except from 3 o'clock and there wasn't three feet separating the tapes. Was like shooting into a mini tornado. :)

I like the Berger 73's. Kind of stumbled onto them when looking for the heaviest bullet I could shoot in the 1:9 SPS Tactical Barrel.

Lazer;

Thank you, I appreciate your time and consideration. I guess I'll have to pass, my options are limited.

Greg

Why not designate Greg as a non prone shooter? Sort of a footnote. The more the merrier. Just my thought.....

Jim

That's the way we handle such things with our local club FV250 matches.

F/TR

1. Derek 175-11V
2. Frank 174-9V
3. Jessie 165-6V
4. Jeff 163-4V

Bench T/R

1. John 194-17V

Bench Open

1. Tony 198-22V
2. Dewey 194-20V
3. Dan 193-22V
4. George 192-19V

Also, FYI, 'FV250' indicates a match at 250yd, using essentially F Class rules, fired on a proprietary V-Style target, MOA equivalent for distance, Bullseye equals 5pt, 40rd for score. This event has been popular at our club for several years now, and has found additional popularity at several nearby clubs as well. The quoted scores are from our last (October) match, and represents an average turnout. A possible is 200-40V.

Greg

Last edited:
Jim your right, Greg your in. Just specify in your entries bench/ adjustable rest . Cool ? Please don't any one say "but you let Greg do it." If anyone needs to shoot from a bench for health reasons it's fine, just specify in each entry. But let's try to keep it prone as much as possible. Thanks everyone for being honest, and let's get some targets posted!!!

Lazer;

Very gracious of you, and thanks, I will be submitting once the ground turns from white through mud to shootable.

BTW, I still try to do the prone, maybe I can eke out a score that way, too.

Greg

PS, I also have a Mossberg MVP Predator .223. Not anything like a match rifle, but I'll try it anyway.

Last edited:
I'll get in on this!!!! Model 10 savage with 69gr smk's.... It will be later in the week since the rain rolls in tonight...
Hoodlum

This sounds like fun! I think my 223 is fairly accurate and I'd love to see how it stacks up here, but it's an AR and I haven't started reloading for it yet. Maybe next time.

Right on Jim!
And to all of the guys w rem sps 9 twist that are having luck w those 69 smks, I don't know what's so different about my rifle. I shot a 5x5 this morn w 25.3 varget and fed 205gm, and the average was like .750 , shit was flyin everywhere! And yes I have been up and down with the powder, 25.3 seems to be the best.

If you have a rifle that just doesn't want to behave, try a little "Old Farts Trick". Go buy yourself a roll of Sinker Lead Wire. Comes in a couple sizes. Wrap a turn or two of the Wire around the muzzle of your rifle and shoot a several 3-shot load workup groups. If they're better than the groups without the wire, pick the best group and then add or remove a turn of wire to the barrel.

When you find the right amount of extra weight to add to the end of the barrel then look for a muzzle brake that fits in the same weight category. If the barrel's not threaded then look at a Witt Machine Clamp-on brake. They're well made, fit exactly as they're cut to the measurements you provide, are less than $100 and are great brakes. They're a "shark gill" design with small ports on top to cut muzzle jump.

I added one to a 24" .308 barrel and I can now shoot a wide range of loads with "bughole" accuracy. The extra weight acts as a Barrel Tuner. Some guys will also go as simple as using a "Shaft Collar" from a hardware store but it does make the rifle look somewhat like a Ray Gun with the anti-corona collar on the front. If you're concerned with looks go with a muzzle brake. For added weight, if necessary, you can run a ring of lead wire around the barrel where it transitions to the brake and secure it with some epoxy.

Adding weight like this moves the vibration nodes around in the barrel which can make the bullet leave at one of these "null's". It's part of the "Voodoo" that makes building and shooting your own rifles more fun than just out of the box rifles.

Lazer, It'll have to wait till May 3rd when our range opens up, I do have some of the same bullets you shot, but Ill be using Benchmark, I switched scopes so the 700VS now wears a 6-24 Burris Signature with Bal Mil-Dot.
qNIAkbm.jpg

6jg1vk.jpg

zv2xw5.jpg

Strong winds today kicking up a lot of dirt. Cases failing. Made it to 22rds. One flier every 10 or so rds. No contender the base gun nor me.

Sporter, try again. You can have more than 1 entry. I mean that's what this is all about. Squeezing every last bit of accuracy out of those factory barrels. You have a lot touching , don't give up! I have been shooting my ass off , can't beat my first target but came very close.
Btw how did that case split? Shot too many times?

Lazer, this brass fired several loadings from a good 9tw. Third loading from this rifle. About 30pcs. so 90rds total thru this factory 12 tw. Mabie 6 loadings or more on this 'mule' brass. In my comperator, the chamber yields +.006 'headspace' from the 9tw. chamber and my 8tw is a thou bigger. This factory chamber is loose and probably needs to be tested with from scratch brass to see if is to stay as is. All these 30 are trashed. Sharp line on all. The '1 in 10' fliers have been 'consistant' and this barreled action did not find a perfect home in the HS stock I put it in. Not too bad really. Got what I paid for and would be fine for PD's to 200 for sure but I got better and am spoiled. Will try some fresh brass and see how they fair.
eta; I do want to have / keep a 12tw.

Last edited:
Tag, I will definitely take you up on this with my Tikka T3 CTR 20" .223 Rem hopefully will have some results in two weeks.

subscibing for when the snow melts.. maybe sooner... This is awesome, thank you Lazer (and the rest of you guys also) for putting the itch back in my trigger finger! Now, off to the loading bench..

Was mildly puzzled about what length to cut the 700 VLS barrel to.

Then I realized, the MVP barrel is 18 1/2", so I think I'll try that length for the 700. Might make the same load development work for both guns. Trial load, 26.0gr Varget, 50gr NOS BT, my current varmint load.

Just for a hoot, I might do this with the reprimed TulAmmo Boxer Primed steel cases. I've been using them for match reloads: 75gr HDY HPBTM, 23.5gr Varget/69SMK, 24.0gr Varget. Up to 5 reloads already, using CCI-400's.

Only thing special, the neck mouths need an inside chamfer to eliminate bullet shaving. For under $6/box of 20 at Wallyworld vs $12+/ box of 20 Winchester 55 FMJ, getting a lot more bang per buck.

Greg

Last edited:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...936-sps-tactical-223-69gr-smk-100-200yds.html

Hopefully this links in. This was my SPS Tactical a few years ago. The rifle now sits in an H-S Precision PST 093 and wears a Bushnell 3-12FFP. Not my favorites, but my Father-In-Law loves it over at the ranch. Took the whole family out shooting it last Thanksgiving and everyone had a blast hammering clay targets at a couple hundred yards, even the Mother and Sister-In-Law who have never shot a scoped rifle. Awesome rifle to get new shooters enthused. Still a hammer with 69gr SMK's.

I would like to contribute to this. I've got a Savage 12 with the factory barrel that loves 69gr smks. But not sure when I'll be able to get out. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.