• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Challenge me with your .223!

Ok well here is my first attempt. I say first attempt because I feel like the conditions were less than ideal. 15-20 mph constant crosswinds with 25-35 mph gusts. I also rarely shoot from prone. The scope on this one is only a 9x. Lets see what other excuses can I think of......oh first time trying this exact load. Ok im done haha. Excuses are like axxholes they all stink.

For the facts now.

I'm using a Mossberg Varmint MVP with a 1:9 twist barrel. Bahaha. I know...A Mossberg?(this is my coyote rifle)
The scope is a Nikon prostaff 3-9x50mm. It was new old stock so it is the older style.

iqiw0k.jpg

awulg2.jpg

Just noticed from this angle it looks like my scope is cockeyed. I assure you it is perfectly level with the rifle. I have always been anal about this.

If anyone notices 30 rounds are fired from my box the first 5 were for the chronograph resulting in almost exactly 3000fps with an 18fps deviation (only 5 rounds though).

The mossberg has a 5.56 chamber.

I am shooting a R-P case with a cci 400 primer, 24gr of IMR4895 topped off with a 69gr Nosler Custom Competition(because SMK's are out of stock everywhere)

Not nearly the best I have done but it is what it is. I followed the rules to the letter as far as I know. The rifle is completely bone stock.

sx0p75.jpg

I have shot 5 shot groups as small as .336 with this rifle. Today was not that day but I had fun trying!

Last edited:
Daggone, Holeshot you have now blown all of my excuses: its too cold, windy, wet etc, etc since I am from Indiana too. What range is that in your picture? I guess I need to suck it up and get my entry (ies) in??

Jim

Daggone, Holeshot you have now blown all of my excuses: its too cold, windy, wet etc, etc since I am from Indiana too. What range is that in your picture? I guess I need to suck it up and get my entry (ies) in??

Jim

Hahaha. Excuses are fun aren't they?

The range is Linden Conservation Club. I have been a member here for years. Pretty nice club for the price. $75 a year! The longest range is this one @ 100yards. I wish there was at least a 300 yard range but at a 12 minute drive from my house I'm not complaining.

I have been there. Shot some IDPA matches years back. I think that the guy running the match was named Rich. Not sure. I am 45 minutes south east of the range. They didn't have a 100 yard berm back then as I recall. Sits on a lake, right?

Jim

I have been there. Shot some IDPA matches years back. I think that the guy running the match was named Rich. Not sure. I am 45 minutes south east of the range. They didn't have a 100 yard berm back then as I recall. Sits on a lake, right?

Jim

Yes Jim it has 3 small stocked ponds we can fish in. I'm not familiar with your friend Rich but I also do not shoot IDPA. PM me some time if you feel like taking a drive.

Wow! Three pages already and only two valid entries other than the OP. And yes, I realize that my post is no different...

I guess I'd better break out that Dick's special ADL Varmint I dropped into a laminated stock for my wife. It's had only about 60 rounds through it, all factory cheap stuff. I'll dig out the best factory stuff I have (not much) and see if I can put 25 shots together that won't embarrass me too much (this weekend).

Hole shot , not bad for a factory rig, and thanks for the entry I was starting to wonder if anyone shot anymore or just talked about shooting! I think you will have more consistency out of a lighter bullet IMHO.

Wow! Three pages already and only two valid entries other than the OP. And yes, I realize that my post is no different...

I guess I'd better break out that Dick's special ADL Varmint I dropped into a laminated stock for my wife. It's had only about 60 rounds through it, all factory cheap stuff. I'll dig out the best factory stuff I have (not much) and see if I can put 25 shots together that won't embarrass me too much (this weekend).
That's what I just put together / shot.
Holeshot, I have a 9 twist that shoots 69's at exactly 3000fps. 24.6 of H4895. Not a factory gun but sounds like something to the combo.
I am going to go load another 25 52's, with fresh brass. Same 3380fps. Will post em.

Last edited:
Hole shot , not bad for a factory rig, and thanks for the entry I was starting to wonder if anyone shot anymore or just talked about shooting! I think you will have more consistency out of a lighter bullet IMHO.

Thanks lazer. I have tried lighter bullets. A few different types. The 55 gr vmax usually gets me groups around this size. 69gr SMK's are usually one ragged hole from this gun. I need to try lighter match grade bullets. I was wanting to try hornadys new(ish) 53gr vmax with their ballistic coefficient of .290 due to the ogive being redesigned but just as I got interested is when the SHTF and they were gone. I have not tried any lighter SMK's. I need to. It has always shot well enough to head shot coyotes out to 150+ yards or so. Haven't got picky with it. But this little competition is sparking my interest again.

I have been shooting, just not ready to post anything yet. :D

Some groups from Saturday:
Rem223VS_2014_0322_reduced.jpg

The 52 HPBT load definitely needs some work. I was kind of surprised by the 55 grain PMC Bronze and was just using it as a fouling group. The 55 grain Hornady FMJ BT shot pretty good as well. Group 5 was a mess, got lazy and first two shots went high and left. Settled down and put the last 3 into .63"

Also, I cheated by shooting off a bench but still with a bipod. This rifle, a mid 90's Remington VS 223, has not been shot much in the last five years. Gun is completely stock except I tuned the trigger. It has driven quite a few 45 grain V-Max's into rodents.

Seriously folks, I strongly doubt there's a need for heavier bullets at 100yd. We could take a lesson from the BR community on things of that nature. Of my pair of 223 bolt guns, it's the Varmint gun with the 1:12" twist that I'll be counting on most.

I'll be starting out with TulAmmo 55FMJ, pulled down and reassembled with a load of 26gr of Varget. I can appreciate some skepticism about this, but I have already done a lot of load development using this steel case for the AR, and the results gave been indistinguishable from identical loads assembled in brass. Aside from the Varget, these components cost $5.97 for a box of 20, and do not tax my components stash for anything beyond the powder.

When all God gives you is lemons, you make lemonade...

Greg

Last edited:
I'm going to get in on this soon. I just worked up a load of 24.5g varget under 69smk out of a 16.5" barreled 700 shooting about half moa consistently (keeping my fingers crossed). This was my first true reloading experience, starting from dingy old pick up brass all the way to ammo shooting well, and I'm excited about it. I have a load development target I could post, but I'm going to hold off.

Greg, not sure who ur talkin to or what about w ur last post, just wondering?

Greg, not sure who ur talkin to or what about w ur last post, just wondering?

Lazer I quoted Greg and started debating. He took offense. I apologized in a pm to him and deleted my post. I didn't want to make anyone mad. I was a little grumpy when I posted and it came off more aggressive than I wanted it to.

Thanks lazer. I have tried lighter bullets. A few different types. The 55 gr vmax usually gets me groups around this size. 69gr SMK's are usually one ragged hole from this gun. I need to try lighter match grade bullets. I was wanting to try hornadys new(ish) 53gr vmax with their ballistic coefficient of .290 due to the ogive being redesigned but just as I got interested is when the SHTF and they were gone. I have not tried any lighter SMK's. I need to. It has always shot well enough to head shot coyotes out to 150+ yards or so. Haven't got picky with it. But this little competition is sparking my interest again.

Holeshot, I have the same rig as you. I am using berger 73gr Bt's with 24.50gr of RL-15 loaded off of ogive at 2.034 and cci # 400 they shoot lights out. Average velocity is 2760. I have been trying to get out to the range, but have been swamped with work. I hope next week I can post some targets.

I deleted my post as well, a case of the grumpy talking to the grumpy.

To follow up on an earlier response, my logic behind trimming the 24" 700 VLS barrel to the same 18.5" length as the MVP is based on a nagging suspicion that there just may be something to all that OBT business. If it turns out to have legitimacy, there may just be a load development bonus involved. If not, as you say, at least they should be close. At any rate, it would be interesting to see how closely two barrels of identical length but different profile would perform. The 700's performance took a dip some time back, and a bore scoping determined that the last couple of inches of rifling looked 'melted', so I'm fairly certain that portion of the barrel could go bye-bye anyway, and shortening a heavier barrel often tends to make it more accurate as well. Making the length identical to the MVP could help me understand more about barrel profile vs length. If we're not learning anything, what's the point, anyway?

Greg

Last edited:
just got mine completely together this week, but the weather and my schedule seem to never cooperate.

stock 700 sps 223 with 20" barrel
Shilen trigger
HS Precision pss stock
PTG bottom metal
Sightron SIII 6-24x50

2d1lm6p.jpg

2 guard , nice stick, what bedding do you have?
Looks like a badger knob ?
Did you do bolt tighting and lap lugs?
Just courious

2 guard , nice stick, what bedding do you have?
Looks like a badger knob ?
Did you do bolt tighting and lap lugs?
Just courious

no bedding, just the hs precision alu block. Bolt knob is from zeffer's weaponry. It is a little thinner in diameter than a badger, about .75" diameter and about 1.5" long for the knob. I was wanting something a little smaller on this build. no lug or bolt work, all factory right now. I will have everything trued up when I rebarrel. I had some combat green duracoat that was getting old and I shot the barreled action and bottom metal with that while I was waiting on the m5 inlet from GAP on the stock, but nothing really special done to it. Shilen trigger is set about 2.5lbs currently. I'm hoping it will like 69 smks with varget. Should be able to get it out this Saturday.

I get that...; been stuck inside by a long, cold, white Winter, and my Wife's hip replacement. That and our current Spring Break family vacation in Georgia. By the time we get back I should be just a smidge away from death by cabin fever, etc.

Will be hitting the range with my new MVP Predator .223 and my old R700 VLS 223.

So I'll likely have something to post up in another week or two. Finally!

Greg

Took the .223 out finally.

The rifle is a Rem Tactical with a 20" bull barrel currently setting in a B&C Light Tactical Medalist stock not bedded.

5yffj9.jpg

652yq0.jpg

The group is 5 shots and measures .505 outside to outside.

I was using LC09 brass, CCI 400 primers, IMR 3031 powder and 52gr Berger Target Moly bullets.

** Edit - Now that I know the load works this well I'll put together 25 more and get the 5 groups on one page.

Last edited:
Son of a bitch! I thought this thread was long gone. As it was over ran by the 100 yd challenge and rightfully so!
Khavic very nice shooting but this challenge was at least a 5x5. So just add some more groups, cool pict btw!

See the 100 yd challenge it's the same rifle just changed the stock, moboost measured it at a .495 average.
1tsa3d.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
You guys have some nice solitude. I shoot locally with 9mm and 45 holes appearing, brass showering down, as I shoot. Shouting conversations and bull horns with relentless instruction. On occasion I get to a milder line. Never as nice as what you enjoy [above]. Cant wait to get to a dog town this summer with a good friend. My stock 700 223 will do just fine. Plenty 52 SMK's to send at 3300. It is printing better now than what I posted earlier. Reliable and not fouling too bad.

This still going on? A buddy and I ate always looking for some competition with our 223 R700s. I will.post pics when we are able to work our schedules out.

Holy cow! I thought this thread was long gone again! Nice shooting Ryan. Well my factory rig is done for, only thing left is the action. I put a new manners stock and a krieger barrel on it so my factory barrel entries will have to end at a .495 average for 30. I think that was round 3 of the 100yd shoot out. I will say you guys w those sps 9 twist run some 52 barts or some 52 bergers! I believe the flyers I had were contributed to the shitty jackets on the matchking. Once I got the kreiger barrel I still had unexplained flyers and the problems continued while using matchkings. The kreiger barrel average was better but not by much, then I got some bergers! Here's 30 shots w 3 different powder charges while doing load development.
2yzh91f.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Holy cow! I thought this thread was long gone again!

I hope it stays alive until I can see if I have a "challenge" possible with my new .223 build. Decided that since weight is of no consideration to me anymore (I don't have to pack a rifle much farther than from truck to shooting position) it would be a heavy one. A Rem SPS-Tactical action with a new Benchmark 26", 1:7, 3-groove, in an MTU profile. Due sometime within a month and then it will just be a matter of working up a load. The lightest bullet I intend to use will be a 73 gr with 90 VLD's "on the menu".

Let's see what happens.

Darn, read that only factory barrels are eligible. Guess I'll just have to shoot my "entry" for fun.

Last edited:
I can only add this one single picture - as the rifle has now been converted to a different caliber. This 5-shot string was out of my Savage 10FP 24" .223, only modification was a Bell & Carlson Medalist A2 stock and Glade's Armory bolt handle. Load was 25.1gr of H335 under 69gr Nosler Custom Comp and Wolf SRP, COL of 2.260"

IMAG0670-20140316-201728.jpg

Less than 2 months after shooting that group, I yanked the barrel. There was virtually no rifling left in the first 1/4" of the barrel, I think the previous owner (bought the rifle used) shot it a bit more than he led on.

A couple old groups , I need to load some ammo and fire a string on one target.
Remington 700 Tactical with stock barrel. Threaded for AAC blackout flash hider and suppressor mount. Groups fired with AAC M4-2000 suppressor attached.
Its boring but fun to shoot.

69 Sierra BTHP / N140

52 Sierra BTHP