• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Challenges with my 6SLR

CaptainH

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2009
Ohio
Perhaps some of you can help me with my issue. I get good accuracy at 100 - 300 yards shooting slow with the following load.
- 115 DTAC HbN coated
- Defiance action - single shot
- Alliant RL 26 46.6 gr
- Lapua brass
- Federal primers
- Bartlien 32" 1:7 twist Heavy Varmint profile
- 3170 fps MV
- McRees chassis

My issue is that I shoot this rifle for F-Class (600 and 1000 yards) and long range steel out to 1000 yards. After the barrel heats up and if I am in a good wind condition and I am shooting at a pretty good clip (2-3 ahots / minute), the group goes to pot. I can even go from a 1/3 MOA group at 300 to a 1 MOA group at 300 yards by shooting faster, so I don't think this issue is just due to long ranges. I have basically the same set up with the same chambering in a Kelbly action and a 32 inch Krieger barrel that does the same thing.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you

Frank Holtzhauer

Captainh

[email protected]

Try a different bullet, I think you'll like the results. Never gone wrong with 105s

Thanks, I might try some 107 and 110 SMKs that I have on hand. The 115 DTACS with the HbN coating give a nice ballistic advantage on "paper" anyway and a goad is to have a competitive round at 1000 to save my shoulder from my 284. Other thoughts are certainly welcome.

I don't think they have the consistency to take advantage of the BC, juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Have you tried running it slightly slower? When I first saw 3170fps, not noticing 32" barrel, right off thought not right. I had the slr case in QL, laptop failed, I'd have to rebuild it in new one, but slr has close to the capacity of 6 creed. You are pushing the envelope of 6 creed in QL.

Have you tried running it slightly slower? When I first saw 3170fps, not noticing 32" barrel, right off thought not right. I had the slr case in QL, laptop failed, I'd have to rebuild it in new one, but slr has close to the capacity of 6 creed. You are pushing the envelope of 6 creed in QL.
I was going to try a lower node. I have been trying to contact the folks at QuickLoad to see if their data is good for the 6SLR at coated DTACs. No response so far. Is it possible for you to check your QL to see if it will cover my caliber and components.

I don't think they have the consistency to take advantage of the BC, juice isn't worth the squeeze.
So you have had some issues with consistency with the DTACs? This may explain some of my long range disappointment.

I haven't shot very much RL-26 but the SLR is similar to the 6 Comp Match which I have shot alot. You might try H 1000 if you can find some. The Reloader powders may be too sensitive to temp when the barrel heats up. I shot the 115 DTAC's exclusively in my Comp Match. Good luck shooting the SLR, it is a good round.

I was going to try a lower node. I have been trying to contact the folks at QuickLoad to see if their data is good for the 6SLR at coated DTACs. No response so far. Is it possible for you to check your QL to see if it will cover my caliber and components.
I'd have to build the case correctly, I do not shoot it anymore, so I do not have a case. Plus, I use QL as a guideline, not a definitive. I've had it for 6 yrs and got my ass spanked by another user just today.
I'm not sure anyone in the US is setup to represent QL at this time, guy is in Germany who owns it.
Coated bullets drop pressures, you most likely are ok, I was just suggesting finding a lower node and test. I have noticed from hotrodding 6mm's, you crawl over 3100 fps, barrels get hot fast. Even though I shot both my 6 slr barrels at 3140, 105 hybrid, 26" barrels, but the loads were HOT, real hot, and paid for it in brass costs-redo's.
You have witnessed the load deteriorate at 300, no reason to expect it to work farther out, so really you must try something, I just cannot say what.
EDIT: I am not a fan of RL 26, and have seen this same shit in 6 creed, guys running this powder and trying to get uber speeds, which they do, but downrange results suck.

Reactions: linedrive301ft
So you have had some issues with consistency with the DTACs? This may explain some of my long range disappointment.

First couple boxes shot great, then not so much. Meplats were clearly different between the lot numbers which speaks to the consistency thing.

If you search the site you'll find threads on it. Not just my experience or opinion, it's shared by several, some much more accomplished shooters than myself. Including some anecdotal stories from folks who prefer to be unnamed.

Went back to 105s and saw an improvement immediately in the same barrel. Haven't strayed from the Berger camp since. Lesson learned.

Reactions: kthomas
I'd have to build the case correctly, I do not shoot it anymore, so I do not have a case. Plus, I use QL as a guideline, not a definitive. I've had it for 6 yrs and got my ass spanked by another user just today.
I'm not sure anyone in the US is setup to represent QL at this time, guy is in Germany who owns it.
Coated bullets drop pressures, you most likely are ok, I was just suggesting finding a lower node and test. I have noticed from hotrodding 6mm's, you crawl over 3100 fps, barrels get hot fast. Even though I shot both my 6 slr barrels at 3140, 105 hybrid, 26" barrels, but the loads were HOT, real hot, and paid for it in brass costs-redo's.
You have witnessed the load deteriorate at 300, no reason to expect it to work farther out, so really you must try something, I just cannot say what.
EDIT: I am not a fan of RL 26, and have seen this same shit in 6 creed, guys running this powder and trying to get uber speeds, which they do, but downrange results suck.
thanks for the response. MAybe it is time to change powder and bullets.

thanks for the response. MAybe it is time to change powder and bullets.
I'd play with your powder charge first, nothing to lose here. Also, when things are not right, best to eliminate crap one at a time, then you learn.

I have a 7.5 twist and I run RL26 with the 110's. 3175 fps 28" Bartlein 5r. I hit 3280 fps before I got pressure.

I wonder if you can get by with a 7.5 twist? Especially with that long of a barrel. I think my research said that the 7.5 twist would have worked well for the 115's also. Not sure your DA etc. I'm at 1350'.

Also I have a 26" 6SLR and it doesn't shoot the 110's as well as the 28" with everything else the same except except it takes .5 gr more RL26 to hit the node...

Good luck.

I shoot the 6 comp match and from what I have seen it is almost a twin to the SLR. To me that sounds like alot of rl26. I havent tried it in that case because h1000 does so well. The 26 is magical when it works but it seems kind of glitchy at times. My baseline load is 46.0 h1000 and a 105 hybrid. That always gets me a decent baseline and then I play from there. It's kinda like a fgmm 308 load for me.

Are you running magnum primers? I go back and forth with them and the h1000

I use Berger 105s and H4350 at 2950 fps and get great accuracy out to 1000 yds.