• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing chamber diferences

jdel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2007
CA
I am getting ready to put a new tube on my Savage 308. I load Win and Rem brass pretty much. I don't want to turn necks or do anything fancy like that. What is the advantage of having a tight neck chamber? Is it for longer brass life? The chamber now on the rifle stock seems just fine, would there be any advantage to going with something else? If so now would be the time.

Re: chamber diferences

Boots Obermeyer has designed several chamber reamers that are semi tight. The reamer that one of my 308 was chambered with is an Obermeyer chamber. It's as tight as you can go and still chamber factory or military ammo. The chamber for that particular rifle was excellent for 168 / 175 SMKs.

If you decide to have a new barrel chambered for your rifle, know what you want and explain to the gunsmith before he starts work. Decide what bullet weight and basic design you want before having him start work. Knowing what the rifle will be used for will help him a lot as far and suggesting the right chamber for you.

Good luck with your choices.