• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chamber rod for 17 cal?

RabbitSlayer48

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
I use a pro shot chamber rod with a brush 1 size over the bore diameter to clean the carbon ring. For example i use a 6.5 brush on my 6 creed. The problem is i can't use it with a 20 cal brush to clean my 17s. I can't find the correct adaptor either. They are all opposite, 17 rod to 22 cal brush. Does anyone know of a chamber rod with fixed handle for 17s or an appropriate adapter?

I use a pro shot chamber rod with a brush 1 size over the bore diameter to clean the carbon ring. For example i use a 6.5 brush on my 6 creed. The problem is i can't use it with a 20 cal brush to clean my 17s. I can't find the correct adaptor either. They are all opposite, 17 rod to 22 cal brush. Does anyone know of a chamber rod with fixed handle for 17s or an appropriate adapter?
If you're just cleaning the chamber, why does the diameter of the rod matter?

Reactions: Nik H
The thread size is different. I can't attach the ideal brush size to the rod i have. 17 and 20 cal are different than 22 and up.
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why can't you use a 20 or 22 cal rod to hold the brush to clean the chamber? Cleaning the chamber doesn't involve having to go down the bore.

Reactions: Average guy
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but why can't you use a 20 or 22 cal rod to hold the brush to clean the chamber? Cleaning the chamber doesn't involve having to go down the bore.
Ever try rotating a rod with a handle that is not fixed a good 30 times or so to remove the carbon ring? Even worse with a 42" rod. You wont even be spinning it without vice grips or something. If u know of a fixed handle pistol rod in 17 cal that would work too. A 22 cal brush doesn't get into the carbon ring without excessive force. Hence 20 cal brush is the correct size. I am not talking about cleaning the part of the chamber that is like the body of the brass or the lug area. Im talking only about the carbon ring. The rest of the chamber is easy to clean. its only the stubborn carbon ring.

First off, no, I've never had to get a carbon ring out. Mainly because I don't shoot cartridges/powders that seem to develop them. I've read about them a lot, but have never seen one myself (yes, I do believe they exist).

Be that as it may, I'm kind of stunned that you can't locate a fixed handle pistol rod in .17 caliber. Took me about 30 secs...

Honestly, if it were me, I'd just buy a cheap .22 cal rod, saw off the handle, file a flat on the butt end, and affix a handle via a piece of metal with a .22 cal hole, and drill and tap a set screw to keep it in place. This doesn't seem like rocket science to me, but maybe I'm just used to having to fabricate stuff, when it seems no one makes what I want. As to the bushes, again, I'd take a .22 brush and some snips, and snip one end of the brush down the the diameter I want/need.

But perhaps I'm just too simple a person to figure all this out...

I read this thread earlier today and decided not to even bother wading in because the answer seemed (and is) so utterly simple, our illustrious el Presidenté could finger it out.

So,

Screenshot_20230222_171330_Google.jpg

I didn't think of the pistol rod till this morning. Haven't looked for one yet i had to work. The ones i have are not fixed. But i remembered i had a cheap one i inherited at one time.

I see the carbon ring plain as day with a bore scope.

OP,
If you're getting carbon rings in-between cleanings, you might want to consider cleaning more often.
Another alternative is to just run 3 wet patches and a couple of dry ones through the barrel before leaving the range. That removes most of the junk and helps prevent buildup.