• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chamber suggestions for .308

Arboreal

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2008
Young, AZ
www.hellsgatetactical.com
Anyone out there that can help me decide on a chamber reamer? I am putting together an Eliseo tube gun with a Pierce action and I want to try the new Alpha mags. If they let me load out to 2.985" that kind of changes the game a little.

Re: Chamber suggestions for .308

Call PT&G and talk to Dave Kiff. He's forgotten more about reamers than most of us here combined. Talking to him is like drinking data from a firehose. He's extremely helpful, he's probably built a reamer like you want before and he may have one ready to go. Their prices are reasonable and their reamers are top notch. They are all I use.

alot of smiths I have talked to use exclusively and sware by PTG for reamers

I have had the same old 308 reamer for 10 years and it is just SAAMI spec.

I have bought a custom 6mmBR reamer from Kiff and others from Manson.

Getting a custom allows the opportunity for:
1) no-turn tight neck
2) lead shaped like the chosen bullet.
3) throat length so the chosen bullet reaches the lands but not the do-nut.

You can use a standard SAAMI spec chamber reamer with good results, you can use a custom reamer or anything in between. Once of the things I like about teh PT&G reamers is that as long as I take care of them they seem to stay sharp. Sending a reamer off to have it sharpened costs money and causes down time which equals either lost profit margin and/or higher prices.

I've heard good stuff about Manson reamers too, I just haven't don't have personal experience with them so I can't recommend them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arboreal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone out there that can help me decide on a chamber reamer? I am putting together an Eliseo tube gun with a Pierce action and I want to try the new Alpha mags. If they let me load out to 2.985" that kind of changes the game a little. </div></div>

I use the Bisley Reamer 99% of the time and it allows the 175SMK's to be run under max AI magazine length with ease and be in the lands.

PTG has the print on file.