• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chambering problem

Canuck257

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
BC. Canada
Rifles is a Sako TRG-S in 338 LM. Brass and bullets are Lapua. Federal primers, H1000 powder.

Regardless of the powder load from mild to near hot all cases extract comfortably and easily but, if I try to re-chamber them the bolt is very hard to close. Neck sizing alone makes no difference, the cases have to be full length sized to get them to chamber which they do easily. I use a Redding body die to bump the shoulder back 2 thou. when full length sizing.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening and is it uncommon? This is a custom barrel and chamber and shoots sub MOA out to 1500 yards which is the longest range I have available.

If it shoots sub moa to 1500 i'd keep FL resizing and order more reloading supplies the 338 likes the powder

An odd occurance, but like the man said, full length resizing is what's called for, especially in that particular chambering. I'd forget neck sizing completely. But as far as the difficulty in chambering unless you resize, the only thing that occurs to me is you might try lapping the lugs...very carefully. BB