• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chambering proof research barrel

ForeverZ01

Hunter
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Louisiana
Are there any special considerations when chambering a proof research barrel? Is it safe to chuck the barrel by grabbing the carbon fiber part?

I just hold it between my bare feet and use the hammer drill setting on my Dewalt. I didnt waste time waiting on a reamer, i just use a couple different drill bits. 1/8 MOA all day long, if I do my part......

sorry, got a house full of kids and they dont get my smartass humor. Someone with actual useful info will chime in shortly.

Not sure why youd be holding it that far back to begin with. Theres enough shank there to hold onto steel, and thats the only thing Id hold onto. Only other consideration is, dont fuck it up, $800 replacement instead of $300.

I use brass shim stock on the jaws of my TBAS. The carbon fiber is tougher than you think. If your marring it, your gripping the barrel too hard. Also only time you should be grabbing the barrel on the carbon fiber is when your threading or crowning the muzzle. Assuming your using a dual spider on the lathe.

Last edited:
On the couple I have done, i was to chicken to put my 4 jaw chuck on the CF. I had alum shims under my spider screws and was nerves the whole time they were in the lathe. Everything turned out fine.
Russell