• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chambering question

Lrush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2012
Alabama
I have chambered a couple of barrels on my model 700's.I am thinking of trying a stiller or defiance action that uses the mini 16 extractor.what I want to know is what do you have to do different for the mini 16 extractor?

Open the barrel counterbore width to .785" and if the extractor is longer than the bolt nose, you accommodate for that also.

Last edited:
You don't have to do anything on the short action stuff. The magnums need opened up.

You don't have to do anything on the short action stuff. The magnums need opened up.

Standard bolt face in short or long action can use the standard counterbore diameter with the mini M16 style extractor. Magnum bolt faces, short or long action require the larger diameter with it.

But I knew what you meant :D

Standard bolt face in short or long action can use the standard counterbore diameter with the mini M16 style extractor. Magnum bolt faces, short or long action require the larger diameter with it.

I've always opened the CB w/ the mini M16 to .785" as a rule. After reading this I went into the shop and checked a standard and a magnum bolt w/ M16 and my lightbulb came on:) Thanks guys, I learn something every day.

yeah that's what I said...lol