• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chambering the wrong round in a rifle

TBass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2008
Colorado
I have both a .260 caliber bolt gun (an AIAW rechambered in .260) and a brand new unfired.308 caliber bolt gun (Sako TRG). Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if a 260 round were accidently chambered in the .308 and then fired? Would there be disastrous and dangerous results?

Additionally, because I do not have any .308 rounds yet, I would also like to know will a .308 round chamber into a .260 chamber?

Re: Chambering the wrong round in a rifle

308 will not chamber into the barrel if you are "close" to the lands. Wont fit and you will pull it to inspect and immediately find your mistake, now 260 round down a 308 tube, yes that might be bad. But the round diameter is smaller than the bore diameter, so other than not being accurate at all, im not to sure what a 6.5mm round goin down a 30 cal hole would do.

So in your best estimation, the .260 going down a .308 would more than likely not be disastrous.

260 through a 308 will yield very large groups.....Saw it
308 in 260 won't chamber.

25-06 is not very accurate in a 270 win either..Dont ask how I know that one!

308 won't chamber in a 260 chamber.

The 260 will probably chamber, as the headspace for both the 308 and 260 are the same. When you pull the trigger, you'll essentially fireform a 260 rem case to a 308 case. It might split in the shoulder/neck area. The bullet will bounce down the barrel, and you'll probably notice less recoil.

So there would be the potential to doing damage to my .308 barrel then by essentially bouncing a bullet down it?

& Jon Lester - Loved the comment, "25-06 is not very accurate in a 270 win either..Dont ask how I know that one!"

try it and find out for us. Post it on Youtube.

Try what?.... Try chambering a .308 in a .260?
Or bouncing .260 bullets down a brand new .308 barrel?

Tbass, turn in your rifles to CKA for your own safety, they'll be distributed among the members here for safe keeping. The board will return to you a set of Crochet and Knitting Needles.

Maybe shooting a .260 down a .308 barrel will become some new trendy barrel break-in procedure.

if crochet is not your thing, I have a complete set of Bingo cards. Use your media separator to spin the balls.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260 through a 308 will yield very large groups.....Saw it
308 in 260 won't chamber.

25-06 is not very accurate in a 270 win either..Dont ask how I know that one! </div></div>

add to the list:

.270 in a 30-06 will yield a nice 10 foot group

300wm in a 300 wetherby isn't good either.I saw pictures of the brass somewhere..

rattling a 260 down a .308 tube will not give you MOA accuracy, and that in Miles of angle. I personally don't think any MAJOR damage will be done. You won't be eating the bolt from this. But bouncing a smaller bullet down the barrel isn't going to be good for it.

.280 in a 7mmRM is very bad. I witnessed this one, and still have the brass, whats left of it.

Well I guess if I turn my .308 over to CKA that would solve my problem; however, I think before doing so, I may want to consider some other options... like re-barreling the Sako TRG

2707mag001.jpg

Here's what happens when you shoot a .270win in a 7mm Rem mag...... It wasnt me but my bud. It blew open the floorplate, cracked the stock(Sako Classic), Knocked my buddy off the bench backwards and the rifle fell off the bench and onto the concrete. Lucky for him he was wearing glasses or he would have gotten eye damage...he had blood coming out of his face in an outline all around his glasses. He was shook up but OK. I later went out and grabbed the target at 100yds and the bullet didnt hit it. A guy can never be too careful..

Rifles ain't what they used to be. I remember reading an article in American Rifleman about a guy who brought his deer rifle in to a gunsmith. Said it kicked too hard and wanted it fixed.
It turned out he was shooting 30-06 in a Japanese 6.5 Arisaka. The gunsmith said there was no damage to the barrel or receiver.
The rifle was sent to the NRA, I think it was them, and they tested it. They confirmed there was no damage. the barrel was swaging the bullet down to bore diameter.

I bet it did kick some.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2707mag001.jpg

Here's what happens when you shoot a .270win in a 7mm Rem mag...... It wasnt me but my bud. It blew open the floorplate, cracked the stock(Sako Classic), Knocked my buddy off the bench backwards and the rifle fell off the bench and onto the concrete. Lucky for him he was wearing glasses or he would have gotten eye damage...he had blood coming out of his face in an outline all around his glasses. He was shook up but OK. I later went out and grabbed the target at 100yds and the bullet didnt hit it. A guy can never be too careful.. </div></div>

Cool brass. I want to drink a lot of beer and go shooting with this guy.

300wmina300weatherby.jpg

left to right

300 weatherby, 300 win mag, 300 win mag fired in a weatherby

ok the 308 can not fit into the 260 with or without a projectile the case neck is 44 thou larger with out a projectile seated so even a case without a projectile can not fit.

they both use the same headspace guages if a 260 is fired in the 308 it will rattel out the end without danger to the shooter but it will likley do some minor damage to the internal of the bore. the way mose people make 6mmppc cases is to load up a 220 russian case with fast powder and a bulk 224 projectile place their old worn barrel into their rifle and fire the rounds down range the projectiles go in the general direction but that is it but the cases come out nicley formed and ready for neck turning without getting distorted by an expander.

Now that being said i see no reason to fire a 260 in a 308 unless you are woried you have loaded the wrong ammo in the wrong rifle it is best to CHECK before you start shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
300wmina300weatherby.jpg

left to right

300 weatherby, 300 win mag, 300 win mag fired in a weatherby </div></div>

Great photo, really highlights what would happen if fired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2707mag001.jpg

Here's what happens when you shoot a .270win in a 7mm Rem mag...... It wasnt me but my bud. It blew open the floorplate, cracked the stock(Sako Classic), Knocked my buddy off the bench backwards and the rifle fell off the bench and onto the concrete. Lucky for him he was wearing glasses or he would have gotten eye damage...he had blood coming out of his face in an outline all around his glasses. He was shook up but OK. I later went out and grabbed the target at 100yds and the bullet didnt hit it. A guy can never be too careful.. </div></div>

So, what size was the group?
Just kidding. Glad he came out OK.

I witnessed a .243 whizle down a 260 barrel in a match. The guy grabbed the right mag and kept on shooting the match.

Try to keep everything marked properly and separated.

Had a former uncle run 243 ammo out of a 308 bolt action many years ago during deer season. He could not understand why he was not hitting anything.
he was also drunk at the time and most of the time come to think of it.
So glad when he left my aunt and went back to Illinois.
No I never hunted with him I was not old enough thank god

Done an '06 in a 338 once. Little powder on the face and a funny looking piece of brass. Swapped stocks and forgot, grabbed the wrong ammo.

Keep the ammo seperated, pay attention, and you won't ever have to ask this question or find out from experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen 9mm lobbed down a .40 cal pistols before. </div></div>buddy of mine did the same thing. He had to manually cycle the slide every time due to FTF or FTE