• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Chambering your own barrel.

B31918AE-F059-476D-B2BB-C285177F563D.jpeg

I cut barrels for myself, as I don't want to wait for someone else to do it. It's not crazy, if you can run a lathe, have access and time. I have made some terrible threads that shot fine. Understand it is possible you fuck up a nice barrel. So far I have not had an issue.
Nice to start with an ARC action or someone who gives you tennon prints. Seems to be indicating your bore and making sure your work is concentric to the bore is paramount.
There’s an excellent video by joe pieczinski that makes cutting threads pretty easy.

I think it would be really cool to have the skills and equipment to spin up my own barrels. I don't have either, but it sounds like you do.

I personally wouldn't ever consider doing it as a business. Margins seem very tight, customers are demanding and not very forgiving of mistakes. Just seems like a recipe to quickly sour you on an otherwise enjoyable hobby.

If I was in your shoes I would do it as a hobby for yourself and maybe those in your inner circle, but wouldn't consider making it a business.

I think it would be really cool to have the skills and equipment to spin up my own barrels. I don't have either, but it sounds like you do.

I personally wouldn't ever consider doing it as a business. Margins seem very tight, customers are demanding and not very forgiving of mistakes. Just seems like a recipe to quickly sour you on an otherwise enjoyable hobby.

If I was in your shoes I would do it as a hobby for yourself and maybe those in your inner circle, but wouldn't consider making it a business.
That’s the machining world in general. Engineers who create designs but have no experience actually making anything will wear on your soul. Retail customers who can’t shoot to begin with are too much to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: kthomas

Lol
I’m already in the fly fishing business so I already deal with lots of anal assholes.
No way would I consider doing barrels professionally.
I just had cutting my own barrels on my bucket list.

I’ve been tinkering with mechanical things since I can remember and have a lot of experience on tractors, farm equipment, machines ,heavy equipment and fixing them.

Standing in front of a lathe in a warm room is a lot more fun than laying in mud and hydraulic fluid under a dead D7 or doing a hand stand on a hot PC220 replacing a water pump

I got some helpful info here and even with the bit of reamer drama it came out decent.
I already have a 7mm barrel to do this week and that reamer is brand new so I’m excited to get cutting on it.