• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

chamfer and deburr everytime?

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
I just looked at my brass which are all lapua. They've been fired 3 maybe 4 times... the chamfer still looks good.

Is it a step that's ok to skip for fired ammo? or should it be done to 'smooth' it out or anything?

Re: chamfer and deburr everytime?

If they look fine and you aren't trimming them, then there doesn't seem to be any reason I can think of to chamfer or deburr what's already chamfered and deburred. I've certainly never bothered.

I just inside chamfer the case mouth enough to make it shiny again as a way to show that the case is ready to be loaded. Really only requires a slight touch.

Only chamfer and deburr if you've trimmed, its a wasted effort otherwise.

I use a three way trimmer so my brass gets trimmed to length, chamfered and debured ever single time and all in one two-second operation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a three way trimmer so my brass gets trimmed to length, chamfered and debured ever single time and all in one two-second operation.</div></div>

What tool are you using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a three way trimmer so my brass gets trimmed to length, chamfered and debured ever single time and all in one two-second operation.</div></div>

What tool are you using? </div></div>

RCBS Trim Pro Case Trimmer 3-Way Cutter. It's awesome, I use one for each caliber I reload for.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/251948/rcbs-trim-pro-case-trimmer-3-way-cutter-30-caliber

one word GIRAUD. (I just got one so I can say that now
smile.gif
)

I personally touch every case. Maybe I am just anal, but I like the case mouth to be shiny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only chamfer and deburr if you've trimmed, its a wasted effort otherwise. </div></div>

+1

I also use the RCBS 3 way cutter for my trimmer. If I didn't have that set up, I would definately be pinching pennies for a Giruard.

That being said, I don't think there is any need to debur or chamfer if your not trimming.

I've found tumbling in stainless will peen casemouths enough, even after just one hour, that I can feel the difference whether or not I inside-chamfered, when I seat bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've found tumbling in stainless will peen casemouths enough, even after just one hour, that I can feel the difference whether or not I inside-chamfered, when I seat bullets. </div></div>

If I let the batch go for the whole 3-4 hours in SSM, the chamfer is totally gone, and I usually have to redo them all.

Small price to pay for sparkling brass IMHO
smile.gif

interesting about ss media!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">interesting about ss media! </div></div>

Yeah, do the SS first and then chamfer/deburr/trim. I learned the hard way too.