• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chamfer/deburr twice fired brass?

JDB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
DFW, Texas
New to reloading here so excuse this question if it is dumb...

Do I have to chamfer/deburr case necks if it was previously deburred/chamfered on its last loading?

I shot some reloads that were previously case prepped. Assuming I do not have to trim them can I skip this step?

Re: Chamfer/deburr twice fired brass?

I run all the steps each time {trim, chamfer, debur, primer pocket} leaving out only the flash hole ream.

How do they measure compared to spec?

Some would say they like all the cases the exact same length for consistency, but I haven't seen a significant difference in a small level of tolerance as long as its not too long for your chamber. I would assume that max spec length per cartridge is safe for anyone without a special cut chamber.

My 2 cent

I do it. Takes like 10 secs to clean the edge of neck. Dunno if it helps, but it's a very simple process.

When I first loaded these cases I cut to the trim-to length (2.05). They are now all around 2.08-2.1. Max is 2.15.

It helps to chamfer every single time, but not deburing the flash hole, the reason to chamfer everytime is because your brass grows in length and by chamfering you will never need to trim your cases.

I think you missed a zero in there for .308 case length.

In my rifle I haven't noticed a difference in accuracy when within the trim range 2.005" to 2.015", but when I trim I usually trim to min.

Chamfering the case mouth should not affect case OAL and after repeated reloads will ultimately need to be trimmed.

My .308 takes forever to get to the point of needing to be trimmed while my 30-06 loads need it every 2nd or 3rd load. Mostly because my 30-06 loads are rather hot and thus it is tough on brass.

So you claim that chamfering your cases doesn't shorten them at all? It does where I live, especially if you do it before you reload it every time. (inside and outside chamfer)

Kinda like sharpening a knife, eventually you will run out of blade..

No, I don't see the need to put a large chamfer on the OD of the case mouth and the ID chamfer isn't large enough to create a sharp corner. I simply do not have the tools to accurately place a chamfer that would cut the case OAL down after every load.

If you never trim (after initial trimming process) and only chamfer how do you control the case OAL from case to case?

I get what where you are coming from I just don't like spending time on brass prep beyond initial brass prep if it is not needed. Lightly FL resize, clean, and load are usually the only steps I'll do after the initial prep or until I have enough case stretch that approaches max case length. Then I trim and start over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M77 Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do they measure compared to spec?

Some would say they like all the cases the exact same length for consistency, but I haven't seen a significant difference in a small level of tolerance as long as its not too long for your chamber. I would assume that max spec length per cartridge is safe for anyone without a special cut chamber.</div></div>

For my stuff, I use an RCBS case micrometer. I like all my cases to have their shoulder within 0.0005 (half a thou) and for the OAL it can vary by 0.002 (2 thou) and I remain happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sr-WiNdTeCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you claim that chamfering your cases doesn't shorten them at all? It does where I live, especially if you do it before you reload it every time. (inside and outside chamfer)

Kinda like sharpening a knife, eventually you will run out of blade.. </div></div>

Chamfering a case doesn't shorten it at all, regardless of where you live.
If you chew off the case neck with a chamfering tool enough to reduce the length of the case you have gone past chamfering and started trimming.
Chamfering is smoothing and deburring the outside of the case neck, and deburring and creating a bevel on the inside of the case mouth to allow a bullet to seat easier.

At least that's what RCBS says:

<span style="color: #3366FF">Step 8 - Check the Case Length and Trim if Necessary
After several firings, cases sometimes stretch and become longer than the specified maximum length. These cases must be trimmed to allow for proper chambering and for safety reasons. The trimmer works like a small lathe and can be used to trim most cases up through 45 caliber.</span>

<span style="color: #3366FF">Step 9 - Chamfer & Deburr
Cases that have been trimmed need to also be chamfered and deburred. This will remove any burrs left on the case after trimming and will allow a new bullet to be easily seated into the case. Insert the pointed end of the Deburring Tool into the case to remove burrs and chamfer the case mouth. Fit the other end over the case mouth to remove exterior burrs. </span>

Chamfering doesn't trim, and <span style="text-decoration: underline">simple trimming </span>doesn't chamfer without a specially designed cutter.

I don't mean to sound condescending, but if you don't know the difference between trimming and chamfering you need to go back and do a little reading in just about any manual that's on a reloading bench.

To each their own. I will keep doing what I'm doing as it works and is proven to me that it works, I only trim my cases when they are new, period! My cases stay within spec for the entire life of the case doing it my way, you can argue but your wrong, you just do things differently, and that's why I say to each his own.

Do you have a manual for life too? Step one, tear the toilet paper off the roll at exactly 5 squares. Step two...

Do it however you want to do it.

You're obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed anyway if you're quoting publicly from your ass-wiping manual.

I trim, chamfer, and debur every firing. I use a Giraud- makes it a no brainer. Regardless of what Sr. whateverthehellisnameis opines, cases grow after being fired... Some minutely, some quite a bit more.

A lite clean up of the edges does not hurt. You will have to trim them at some point,depends on the cal.

I find that after a tumble with stainless, my cases need an ID chamfer again.

Im beginning to think all this brass prep is for benchrest guys only. On friday, I shot a 5-shot, 1/4 MOA group at 200 yards with once fired (from M14s) IVI 70 nato brass with nothing more than an FLS and debur. Off center flash holes, all different case lengths...nothing fancy at all.

Hmmm. This is interesting. I have only chamfered and deburred after trimming. And I only do that when absolutely necessary.
Clean out the primer pockets each time. I never uniform them on the first run though since I can do it and clean at the same time after first firing.
After reading about all this stuff you guys always do it makes me feel a bit lazy.
smile.gif

Good responses (for the most part)
grin.gif
!!
Thanks guys!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fw707</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Chamfering a case doesn't shorten it at all, regardless of where you live.
If you chew off the case neck with a chamfering tool enough to reduce the length of the case you have gone past chamfering and started trimming.
Chamfering is smoothing and deburring the outside of the case neck, and deburring and creating a bevel on the inside of the case mouth to allow a bullet to seat easier.
</div></div>

fw707 is absolutely right. If your cases are getting shorter by chamfering and deburring you're doing it wrong.

I chamfer and debur every time and with the aid of a sinclair chamber length gauge, I only trim when necessary.

I use a 3-way cutter on my RCBS Trim Pro.

Here is one at Midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=251948

In my F-class rifle, I chamfer/debur both inside/outside to help with insertion of the bullet into the case without marking the bullet. Does it make a difference? Likely not, but it helps my confidence, so it helps my shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sr-WiNdTeCh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To each their own. I will keep doing what I'm doing as it works and is proven to me that it works, I only trim my cases when they are new, period! My cases stay within spec for the entire life of the case doing it my way, you can argue but your wrong, you just do things differently, and that's why I say to each his own.

Do you have a manual for life too? Step one, tear the toilet paper off the roll at exactly 5 squares. Step two... </div></div>

I wasn't gonna say anything but...

What you're doing is like wet sanding a scratch off a car, but doing it so much that the paint is starting to come off.

If you do enough chamfering, yeah you'll shave the neck off. But it's purpose is to put an angle to the perpendicular case mouth from trimming so that the bullet seats in nicely without scratching it.

If you do it aggressively you'll keep shaving the neck off with the angle.

But if it works for you, that's good.

There are trimmers made to do this however.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a 3-way cutter on my RCBS Trim Pro.

Here is one at Midway.

In my F-class rifle, I chamfer/debur both inside/outside to help with insertion of the bullet into the case without marking the bullet. Does it make a difference? Likely not, but it helps my confidence, so it helps my shooting. </div></div>

I was thinking of frying that with the power adapter.

Does it work well for you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a 3-way cutter on my RCBS Trim Pro.

Here is one at Midway.

In my F-class rifle, I chamfer/debur both inside/outside to help with insertion of the bullet into the case without marking the bullet. Does it make a difference? Likely not, but it helps my confidence, so it helps my shooting. </div></div>

I was thinking of frying that with the power adapter.

Does it work well for you? </div></div>

I really like mine. It is nice and quick with consistent results from case to case. I know my cases are the same length with the same chamfer every time. Also, with the Trim Pro, it is quick also.

Is it easy to adjust how much you want to shave off? So you can put a longer neck, or shorter neck and it'll shave them to the same length.

It has a mic on it doesn't it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it easy to adjust how much you want to shave off? So you can put a longer neck, or shorter neck and it'll shave them to the same length.

It has a mic on it doesn't it? </div></div>

It has a little dial that is easily adjusted for depth of chamfer as well as deburring of the outside of the case. The neck trimmer is easily adjusted too. Seems to do a good job for me.

Mine does not have a micrometer, but I still have not had a problem trimming to the OAL that I wanted.

Ok, that thing looked a little confusing to me. I hope it comes with good set of instructions. Haha