• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Change a 5.56 to 6.8?

V

vipers28

I have several 5.56 and considering changing one of them into a 6.8. Any pro's/con's doing this? Worth it? I will probably reload in the future for the 6.8. I feel I have a good understanding of both of these rounds just would like some input first. Thanks

Re: Change a 5.56 to 6.8?

Check out the 6.5 Grendel also... if you are going to reload for it the 6.5 has an outstanding selection of very accurate, hi BC bullets that were developed for the BR / LR crowd.

I transitioned both of my AR platforms to 6.8SPC after trying out one. I found I enjoyed being able to stretch out a little further when the occassion arose.

The only drawback is the price of ammo - reloading should take some of that sting away for you.

I own a couple of systems in both 5.56 and 6.8 spc . For just general plinking/target shooting the 5.56/.223 is cheaper to run. In a sbr mode I much more prefer the 6.8 for overall ballistics. The 6.8 also has more downrange terminal effects over the 5.56. I have taken 3 deer with the 6.8 with a 12.5" Noveske upper out to 330 yds. After using both for an extended period of time , if I had to settle on just one it would be the 6.8. Other than the ammo costing a little more the 6.8 offers far more in performance than the 5.56. But that is just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipers28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have several 5.56 and considering changing one of them into a 6.8. Any pro's/con's doing this? Worth it? I will probably reload in the future for the 6.8. I feel I have a good understanding of both of these rounds just would like some input first. Thanks </div></div>

For what purpose? Home defense/CQB and hunting out to 300 yds it will work great and has many good hunting bullets in the correct weight range to get a decent velocity.
If you plan on longer range target shooting like 600 then take a look at the .264LBC it is les Baers version of the Grendel and a little more accurate from our testing.

I SBR'd a 6.8 with a 12.5" WOA barrel. Fun shooter and a good hunter with two whitetail kills at 200+ and 300+. Thought that was quite good for a shorty barrel.

As a primary cartridge... I go 5.56. For a good crossover... 6.8. And as mentioned, reloading with certainly take the sting out of ammo costs.

I have both a 5.56 and a 6.8, I use the 6.8 for hunting and the 5.56 as a precision rig. I've driven the 6.8 to 1000 but it's not meant for it and doesn't do so well past 700. I consider it a 0-350yd small-medium game cartridge--great for deer and hogs. As a HD cartridge I also think the 6.8 is superior, DOCGKR developed a document that was floating around that showed the terminal capabilies of the 6.8 vs 5.56 and there was quite a difference. The other element was touched on by some of the other posters---the 6.8 excels in SBR's and burns most of its powder in the first 8" of the barrel, the 5.56 not so much. I like to shoot my 5.56 because it is very accurate, has minimal recoil, and is still pretty inexpensive to shoot. However, when terminal ballistics matter I like the 6.8 a lot more.

Thanks for the input everyone. I won't be hunting or anything with it just LR shooting 100-600 range. Just considering adding variety to my collection. The 6.8 seems like a quick easy way to do that without a whole lot of cost or new equipment.

i guess people like and dislike guns for various reasons. I recent purchased a 6.8SPC and thought it was a great all around ammo .... until I want to shoot it more often. At almost $1 a round I noticed the urge to fire may dwindle a little and think the .223 would've been a better choice.

I mainly bought this AR for a few courses and small game. I think the 6.8SPC was a lil overkill, literally

I love the 6.8 in a SBR. I have a 10.5" match Kreiger barrelled CMT/POF build that I use for duty and I am making a lot of people convert due to sheer knockdown. The match barrel is also throwing rounds at .75 at 100 with 115gr Hornady VMAX. The 5.56 is fun and I think everybody ought to own two but as far as HD and my duty weapon I am sticking with the 6.8. I also built a 21" 700SA in 6.8 with a 2 countour fluted barrel in a youth stock for my sons and wife to shoot deer with. Low recoil and noise makes a pleasure for them to shoot and build confidence in the boys.It slings 115grVMAX Hornady at 2645fps consistently and I am doing some load development with the 85gr TSX for both. I love the round and have had great success with it both professionally and privately.

I got into the 6.8spc then jumped back out without too much loss. I just didn't realize the benefits between 556 and 308, for the various costs. If I lived in short-range hunting grounds, I'd probably still have it, but it doesn't have the oomph I require for hunting, nor an appreciable jump from 556 for under 100. For me, the 300 aac blackout would be the better choice IF I were to do that again. Per your 2nd post, that also may be a less expensive option. I'm now looking at an LMT 308. YMMV! Parallel thread: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=74733

Thanks for the info. If I were to do the 300 who is good to buy from? Will I need the same parts as the 6.8? Barrel, BCG and what else? I have really liked the LMT MWS that I have been strongly considering. It would make life a little easier with my bolt gun being 308. Ah, more choices and decisions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vipers28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info. If I were to do the 300 who is good to buy from? Will I need the same parts as the 6.8? Barrel, BCG and what else? I have really liked the LMT MWS that I have been strongly considering. It would make life a little easier with my bolt gun being 308. Ah, more choices and decisions. </div></div>
You want to shoot 600 yards with a 125gr bullet that has a BC of around .200 going 2400fps out of a 300AAC? Just above you said shoot from 100- 600 yds.
You may want to see if there is ANY 300 ammo to be had, because we can't find any even though Remington said they would have a metric shit ton what ever that is, and then see if anyone makes a scope that will dial in that much comeup, maybe with 2 20MOA bases stacked on top of each other. After the 300 fad fades it will go right back to being as popular as the 300 whisper is.
The 308s a better choice, the rifles are much heavier but if you don't mind the weight then it's a better choice.