• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Change my mind; The poors are poor because they want to be poor

^ be careful on the examples you pick to defend certain arguments.
for example, while migrant farm work is certainly backbreaking and not for everyone, it is also possible to make well over $15/hr if you take a job that pays for the amount you pick and not the time you spend doing it. considering they aren't paying $1500/month to rent an apartment, this means they can theoretically save quite a bit of money and make other investments in their future.
the truth is that some do, but many more take what could be saved and have to send it back to support family back home.

Reactions: quietmike
I think the title is a bit misleading.
I don't think by and large folks "want to be poor".
More than likely it's a matter of, at this time, in this country, it's not too difficult to have the bare minimum of necessities to survive, without having to do hardly anything to get them.

There is a good chance for many, they find the past of least resistance and least effort to get them to where they hit their minimum comfort level and then from there they don't have much motivation or will to make the next leap to getting ahead, which is actually a lot harder than you think.

The way "Government Assistance" is setup in this country, pretty much is a Democrat creation designed specifically to keep you poor, keep you in the gutter and keep you dependent on their party, assistance check to assistance check. It guarantees their power. Huge blocks of single issue voters, not just inner city types but even like entire native American reservations, all mostly interested in voting for who promises the most handouts.

Played properly, you can actually have a fair bit of decent living fully on government assistance, BUT the moment you try to stick your head up and climb out of the gutter, the government cuts the legs out from under you.

Oh you saved some of your money instead of spending it all... well there go ALL your benefits have fun...
Oh you wanted to do a bit of work part time to start getting ahead... well there go ALL your benefits... enjoy

When you consider a full ride of benefits is often in the $30k / year equivalent range if someone knows what they are doing, but if you start saving just a little bit or get a decent reliable car to try to drive to work and back, they will cut the whole thing out from under you in one go, so that's a big hurdle to be able to jump straight to a job that pays all that plus more.

Especially if you have any kind of disability or health condition that requires expensive medical services, it may be impossible to get off the government benefit system and make enough from scratch to pay for it. Your health insurance alone could be more than your first minimum wage job.

I wonder if they brought that back would it lower the rate of crime knowing that your going to be working your ass off for nothing.

It just might... hard work seems to be a punishment to be avoided at all costs these days.

We have struggled to hire truck drivers fast enough for the past decade despite the ease of access to get a commercial license and decent pay scale. At 21yrs old I would have been climbing over people for an opportunity to make $70k+, but that's not the world of today. By far the most common reason for people leaving is "this work is too hard" 🤦‍♂️

don't they get paid? they should, jmho.
letting people out of prison without any money is a recipe for disaster.

Some do get paid... some don't. Really depends on the county/state laws

In most cases there are free "convict houses" and work programs in place to assist with the transition back into the civilian world. Though obviously any .gov program that puts a punch of convicts together in one place comes with its own set of pitfalls.

Reactions: theLBC
^ be careful on the examples you pick to defend certain arguments.
for example, while migrant farm work is certainly backbreaking and not for everyone, it is also possible to make well over $15/hr if you take a job that pays for the amount you pick and not the time you spend doing it. considering they aren't paying $1500/month to rent an apartment, this means they can theoretically save quite a bit of money and make other investments in their future.
the truth is that some do, but many more take what could be saved and have to send it back to support family back home.
Big fucking deal, they are still poor by standards. Guy said some not willing to work for it, it was an easy example.
Like I said, demographics can play hard. Appalachian region, desert regions of NM, AZ, not much there yet people want to stay.

I always thought of poor people as people that weren't able to afford food to eat everyday (legitimately, not the people that choose to have the newest iphone every year instead of buying food) and/or people that couldn't afford a place to live (any place, rent with 4 friends, anything)

but

after being a member of this form, I see and have learned that poor really means not being part of the top 3% of the wealthiest people in the United States

but everyone in the internet is over 6' feet tall, has a 12 inch plus penis, has a full head of hair, a supermodel girlfriend, a $100k+ car/truck and a mansion and a yacht .

;)

I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
Benjamin Franklin

I do psych and philosophy for a living...leadership dev. consulting, exec coaching and hardcore therapy.

One of my magickal secret tools, (and I share this because I have gotten a lot out of this place, and recently shot my first 20 rds out of a bolt gun...so thanks!)

People will say anything. Don't pay attention to what they say, just watch what they do. They will act our their values and beliefs.

Trying to "be" somebody is the ultimate illusion.

DOING things is king. Constantly learning, building skill and discernment, learning how to take feedback, getting your ego out of the way. Everything in life is harder, heavier and farther away then what we are told and sold. So naturally those who get to the top have taken all of the extra steps despite that ego bruise. I've read many times, and fully believe that the single biggest determinant of success is the ability to make short term sacrifice for long term gain.

Just some thoughts....

Well i would need to know your basis of poor is I have meet people from countries that sleep in communal dwellings with no running water , where if you had to use the bathroom you ran the chance of never being seen nor hears from again and that person said he never considered himself poor living and learning from mostly family members spending most of his time hunting and fishing not just to feed himself but the village and not till he came to this country did he ever feel poor and he still was not talking about money but alone as all his family were still back in Africa so what is your definition of poor spoiled people who either choose not to save or attempted to better themselves and those around them or a base idea of money ? cause there are many forms of poor and most of them have little to nothing to do with money .

Don't confuse working hard on the job with working hard on yourself to learn skills that bring value to the marketplace and thus pay more.
Thank you Dr. Phil, I feel better now! I have direction and added meaning in my life. I don't give two fucks what other people do or choose not to do. Now, having said that, I'm going to go back to working on myself!

I always thought of poor people as people that weren't able to afford food to eat everyday (legitimately, not the people that choose to have the newest iphone every year instead of buying food) and/or people that couldn't afford a place to live (any place, rent with 4 friends, anything)

but

after being a member of this form, I see and have learned that poor really means not being part of the top 3% of the wealthiest people in the United States

but everyone in the internet is over 6' feet tall, has a 12 inch plus penis, has a full head of hair, a supermodel girlfriend, a $100k+ car/truck and a mansion and a yacht .

;)
lol, right. i am a poor here not because i don't have enough money to buy night vision gear or ZCO scopes, it is because i am not rich enough to spend that much on something that i don't even need.

but

;)

No one made any such claims here nor did I. I merely said you are where you are because you choose to be.

Thank you Dr. Phil, I feel better now! I have direction and added meaning in my life. I don't give two fucks what other people do or choose not to do. Now, having said that, I'm going to go back to working on myself!

Do you disagree with any of the points I've made in this thread or no?

lol, right. i am a poor here not because i don't have enough money to buy night vision gear or ZCO scopes, it is because i am not rich enough to spend that much on something that i don't even need.

Don't put words in my mouth.

They are poor because they don’t have any understanding of time preference

Because.
They.
Make.
Poor.
Decisions.
Right now, in my new home, I could take pictures that clearly illustrate why poor people stay poor.
That Nazareth dude said: "The poor ye have with you always."
Most folks don't ever let that statement sink in, or they misread it.
If that statement weren't true, you could fix poor, but it's been proven time and again that poor can't be fixed no matter the money thrown at it.
Poor is a state of mind first.

Big fucking deal, they are still poor by standards.

What standards? Not poor by what they left behind to come here.
They are obviously willing to sneak across the border, not even knowing the language, just for the chance our native leftists say is impossible.

What standards? Not poor by what they left behind to come here.
They are obviously willing to sneak across the border, not even knowing the language, just for the chance our native leftists say is impossible.
true, and there are over 2 billion others with far less earning potential than anyone that lives in mexico, and south or central america.

Because.
They.
Make.
Poor.
Decisions.
Right now, in my new home, I could take pictures that clearly illustrate why poor people stay poor.
That Nazareth dude said: "The poor ye have with you always."
Most folks don't ever let that statement sink in, or they misread it.
If that statement weren't true, you could fix poor, but it's been proven time and again that poor can't be fixed no matter the money thrown at it.
Poor is a state of mind first.
Well I know this is your thing but I'm going to have to
do it anyway.

R

Do you disagree with any of the points I've made in this thread or no?
Ok I'll play.... I stated "poor" was a flaw, a mental or physical state that serves to define ones position. Whereas "broke" was a financial situation, often temporary. Truly "poor" being a consequence of inadequacy or ineptitude. I meant no disrespect. To imply someone chooses to be "poor" is overly simplistic, however, ones choices may make one "poor".

No one made any such claims here nor did I. I merely said you are where you are because you choose to be.

LOL I was just poking fun, I never said anyone specifically stated anything

I will nit pick your wording (not your idea). I think very few people actually want to be poor. Being poor is a result of pursuing other wants. So being poor is matter of making choices that leave one poor, not so much about one wanting to be poor

Poor is what happens when people choose to not do the things they need to do in order to succeed.

Poors make choices on emotion instead of deep thought (why is another discussion)
Poors want to take the easy path usually (why is another discussion)
Poors want to not spend time/effort to acquire marketable skills or education (why is another discussion)
Poors want to spend their lives doing drugs/alcohol (why is another discussion)
Poors want to [name the thing here that makes or keeps them poor] - this is the want
Poors want to do other things other than figures out how to succeed in the world as it exists (why is another discussion)

being poor is a result of pursuing the wrong wants out of life, or said a better way, making poor choices

This of course excludes all the things out of ones control, like medical problems, lower than normal range IQ (just can't understand the concept of earning money and saving money), etc etc

Then there are the things that are the middle ground, what many will call opportunity. Some people just never have an opportunity to succeed. The question here is why? Is that all their fault (they never looked for an opportunity)? or is that a situation of circumstance?

I think motivated people can seek out or make opportunity (that opportunity may or may not succeed, so not talking about success, just the chance at success). Poors can argue they never had any opportunity, but yes, if you sit on the couch or hang around the street corner all day doing nothing productive, you get what out what you put in. Opportunity isn't going to come to your couch and find you unless your name is Hunter Biden

Its a zero sum game actually because a poor and anyone else who is not poor wind up in the same situation in the end so while you worry yourself into a heart attacked keeping up the poor have no worries for the government checks keep coming every month.

I believe hard labor sentences no longer exists in this country outside of movies.

You might get a "day for a day" deal as part of your sentencing where each day you work counts as an extra day towards your sentence (also known as "good time served"), but forced labor is generally frowned upon for some reason these days.

Forced labor for low or no wages is still alive and well in most prisons (slave labor of convicts having been excluded from the 13th amendment)

but

;)

your commie is showing, might wanna tuck that back in.

I think you have made the simplest synapsis of complex situation that I have ever read.
JFC, there are extremely hard working immigrants that cross the border to pick crops most white people could or would not do and yet still remain poor by earnings standards. Demographics play a huge role, as does education, etc...
Lot of people work for others in decent paying paying jobs end up on the poorer side just because of economy shifts. Living their whole lives not willing to stick their necks out because of risk factor or financial backing.
How about inner city folks who haver never traveled more than 5 miles from their birth place, there is so much that has failed these types, and yes, maybe the biggest one is themselves. But either they don't have the education or trust the education they did receive, or have the guidance(parents) to help them succeed.
Yes, we have bill gates and jeff bezos who made it big time, but most of the uber rich in our country were born into it.
My wife and I worked for others our whole working career, we never really struggled, but not until we were both 46-47 and we were totally debt free did it dawn on us that we were on the downhill slide. We were not going upgrade housing, still up in the air about a 2nd residence in a nicer winter climate. I guess what I am saying, until I was 50, it had never dawned on me just how well off we were. I turn 62 in 3 weeks, and have been retired for 7 yrs almost to the date.

As far as migrant farmworkers don't confuse working hard on the job with working hard on yourself to learn the skills necessary to bring more value to the marketplace. Migrant farmwork is entry level work therefore it doesn't pay much.

I believe in our time a college education is available to anyone that is willing to work for it. One can qualify for merit based scholarships that are based on abilities such as academical, sports, music, or art. There's also the Pell Grant for those who come from low income. Even the GI bill can be had for two weekends a month and one week a year.

Government student loans can cover the difference of what grants and scholarships don't and that doesn't mean that someone has to go into debt to go to college. Some ways to manage college costs are to live at home also for students to work around 20hrs/wk while in school and to use their income to pay towards their education and to attend a school that they can afford rather than their dream University. The national average for a 4 year program at a community college is $15,000/yr. Between the Pell Grant and any other grants & scholarships they qualify for and the money they can make at a part time job it's possible the student may not need a student loan at all or may not need much of one.

However that doesn't mean that a person has to go to college in order to become successful. I have an Uncle that's a multi millionaire he never went to college. He was a Sheriffs Deputy he also ran his own a lawn care business in which he was the only employee cutting lawns on his days off from the Sheriff's Department. He worked those two jobs all his life, invested properly, and until he was in his 40's he lived well below his means and became a millionaire in his mid 40's I remember at the time he was driving a 20 year old Toyota pickup with 400,000 miles on it. Instead of blowing his money on things like a new truck he bought a fourplex when he was younger he put enough down to cash flow on it which means after the rents he was only breaking even but the renters where paying the mortgage. So in his spare time in between a full time LE job and a part time lawn care job he would manage his own fourplex maintaining the property, completing repairs, cleaning up after renters when they left and finding new tenants when needed on a rental property he was breaking even on for 20 years until it was paid off and the man still managed to go to the gym and stay in great shape all of the time. He sold that fourplex last year for 1.1 million so college isn't a must for becoming successful. There's also a shortage of skilled tradesmen like welders, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, diesel mechanics, and more trades are having trouble finding workers and some trades offer the opportunity to work your way up to $100,000-$150,000/yr.

The opportunities are there available to everyone for the taking. I give zero credence to the idea that some grew up in such a rough upbringing that they just can't make it because their parents where poor and didn't offer them "guidance" or as theLBC mentioned their school district had a low high school graduation rate. College is available to all but even if it wasn't you can be very successful without college. For how long into one's adulthood can they blame a rough childhood as to the reason why they aren't successful anyway? Are a poor persons parents still to blame when that person is 25? 30? 35? 40???? At what point is our success our responsibility?

Last edited:
sorry, wasn't trying to, and it wouldn't fit in there with that bag of dicks anyway.

Lol do you actually disagree with anything that I'm saying or no? Just wanted to complain about it?

LOL I was just poking fun, I never said anyone specifically stated anything

I will nit pick your wording (not your idea). I think very few people actually want to be poor. Being poor is a result of pursuing other wants. So being poor is matter of making choices that leave one poor, not so much about one wanting to be poor

Poor is what happens when people choose to not do the things they need to do in order to succeed.

Poors make choices on emotion instead of deep thought (why is another discussion)
Poors want to take the easy path usually (why is another discussion)
Poors want to not spend time/effort to acquire marketable skills or education (why is another discussion)
Poors want to spend their lives doing drugs/alcohol (why is another discussion)
Poors want to [name the thing here that makes or keeps them poor] - this is the want
Poors want to do other things other than figures out how to succeed in the world as it exists (why is another discussion)

being poor is a result of pursuing the wrong wants out of life, or said a better way, making poor choices

This of course excludes all the things out of ones control, like medical problems, lower than normal range IQ (just can't understand the concept of earning money and saving money), etc etc

Then there are the things that are the middle ground, what many will call opportunity. Some people just never have an opportunity to succeed. The question here is why? Is that all their fault (they never looked for an opportunity)? or is that a situation of circumstance?

I think motivated people can seek out or make opportunity (that opportunity may or may not succeed, so not talking about success, just the chance at success). Poors can argue they never had any opportunity, but yes, if you sit on the couch or hang around the street corner all day doing nothing productive, you get what out what you put in. Opportunity isn't going to come to your couch and find you unless your name is Hunter Biden

Fair enough. From what you're saying I don't think we disagree over than my wording "poor because they want to be". I think that when people make choices that lead to certain results they want those results.

Reactions: kenny1773
Ok I'll play.... I stated "poor" was a flaw, a mental or physical state that serves to define ones position. Whereas "broke" was a financial situation, often temporary. Truly "poor" being a consequence of inadequacy or ineptitude. I meant no disrespect. To imply someone chooses to be "poor" is overly simplistic, however, ones choices may make one "poor".

There are other types of poor but in the context I'm using it here poor is a financial situation.

Reactions: BufordTJustice
For a good part of my life I was what you would call poor. I guess you could say I decided to be poor when I chose to have my wife stay home and raise my kids. That decision made my life hard financially. When they grew up I saved hard, my wife worked some and I bought a business. This was only possible because my credit was excellent. I learned early not to spend what I did not have. I could live in a castle now if I chose to. But I don't, I still live in my modest little poor house in a working class neighborhood. Outside it looks poor, but inside it is now truly my castle.

I deal with elites all the time and I live with the poor. This is because more poor folks are higher in character than the elite in my honest opinion. Some folks are just not wired for financial success. Others have never been taught how to succeed. But I would say the number one reason most poor are poor, has not been their decisions, rather it was a decision made by the greedy elite.

That decision was they decided the working class were not worthy of the pay to keep them middle class. So they sent all the unskilled manufacturing jobs to China and overseas, to pad their own pockets. This thread is filled with the very elitism that empowers the left. That is, you poors are to stupid to to deserve anything. There are lazy folks who never try to help themselves but they are not the majority in the poor community.

Jesus said it would be easier to put a camel through the eye of the needle than for a rich man to get into heaven. He was talking of corrupt elitism. Also he was not talking about a sewing needle. He was talking about the door in the gate for night entry into the old city of Jerusalem. JMHO

Reactions: oneshot86
The opportunities are there available to everyone for the taking. I give zero credence to the idea that some grew up in such a rough upbringing that they just can't make it because their parents where poor and didn't offer them "guidance" or as theLBC mentioned their school district had a low high school graduation rate. College is available to all but even if it wasn't you can be very successful without college. For how long into one's adulthood can they blame a rough childhood as to the reason why they aren't successful anyway? Are a poor persons parents still to blame when that person is 25? 30? 35? 40???? At what point is our success our responsibility?
I don’t disagree, but having shit parents is crippling. If you compare school districts you don’t have to look at any other metric than parent participation. That single metric will tell the whole story. It doesn’t matter how much money you throw at it, or how incredible the school is. If the parents don’t care the kids won’t either, period.

He was talking about the door in the gate for night entry into the old city of Jerusalem
Correctamundo.

As to the other stuff you said....
You have never been poor my friend. It appears you made wise choices.

Poor inherit millions, and find themselves broke in a year, with nothing to show. That is the truly poor. There is no way to help them.

I could tell you several stories of incredible success in my family, coming from zero, nothing, shirt on back. I am by no means elite. My father could not read nor write, but became a successful plumbing contractor. He had 5 brothers....all successful, a couple milliinaires, all frugal.

you might believe every child has the same opportunity to succeed, but then you are probably not forced to send your child to a school that only graduates <25% of the kids that attend them, year after year after year.

The poor are poor because they let circumstances control them instead of doing something to affect the outcome. In your example, there are many things parents can do if they want their child to succeed despite shit government schooling (can't call that education).

I will not waste my time listing examples of what they can do. If someone wants it bad enough they'll figure it the fuck out.

If there is one thing I cannot stand it's excuse-mongers.

Reactions: roamin
Lol do you actually disagree with anything that I'm saying or no? Just wanted to complain about it?
i agree that "poor" is a relative term, but i don't want to put works in your mouth beyond that (to be safe).

The poor are poor because they let circumstances control them instead of doing something to affect the outcome. In your example, there are many things parents can do if they want their child to succeed despite shit government schooling (can't call that education).

I will not waste my time listing examples of what they can do. If someone wants it bad enough they'll figure it the fuck out.

If there is one thing I cannot stand it's excuse-mongers.
to be clear, i am not making excuses, but merely stating a fact.
the reasons they are forced to send their kids are technically within their control, If they weren't being brainwashed by those that almost completely control the mass media and schools themselves.

Poor inherit millions, and find themselves broke in a year, with nothing to show. That is the truly poor. There is no way to help them.
This is true to an extent for many but not for all. Many poor folks are content with what they have. I am sure they would like more, but they don't define themselves by their wealth. They define themselves with pride and values.

I could tell you several stories of incredible success in my family, coming from zero, nothing, shirt on back. I am by no means elite. My father could not read nor write, but became a successful plumbing contractor. He had 5 brothers....all successful, a couple milliinaires, all frugal.

Was having money the driving factor in their success? I'll bet they were driven more by being independent than rich. If wealth were their only motivation they would not have been frugal. They would have flaunted it. I don't know them, but you seem to have been raised with values higher than just having money. JMHO

Some folks are happy with who they are, with little thought of their financial status. It does not make them unworthy people.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bender
Three words: The Great Society.
That anyone would even care to try and "end poverty" or that anyone would feel sorry for "the poor", after our own colossal, socialist failure that has probably impoverished more people than feudalism just proves you are an ignorant imbecil. It is arrogance that prevents every generation from learning from history, and no one is more arrogant than leftists. They believe themselves to be the first "enlightened" people. What a fucking joke. They're the same American Progressives that inspired the Nazis to be enlightened by "science". We have to fight the same foe every generation. That's the only real wisdom.

I don’t disagree, but having shit parents is crippling. If you compare school districts you don’t have to look at any other metric than parent participation. That single metric will tell the whole story. It doesn’t matter how much money you throw at it, or how incredible the school is. If the parents don’t care the kids won’t either, period.

True but if having a rough upbringing has any reasonable impact it's only that of a slow start in life. Excuses related to someones mommy and daddy expire IMO by 25 years old meaning they aren't something that's debilitating for life and that there's a point when that we reach an age that we are 100% responsible for our results regardless of our parents or our childhood.

Reactions: yakstone
i agree that "poor" is a relative term, but i don't want to put works in your mouth beyond that (to be safe).

Shame and I was looking forward to hearing your mommy and daddy excuses.

Shame and I was looking forward to hearing your mommy and daddy excuses.
you can still hear them if you want.
my mom died of cancer when i was 12, and my dad was overwhelmed with bills and could not help with college, so i paid my own way.
while we lived in a poor neighborhood with crap schools when my daughter was young, she was able to qualify to go to a magnet school (luckily) and she took 4 AP courses to help save money on college. She is now getting her masters.

sorry, no excuses.

you can still hear them if you want.
my mom died of cancer when i was 12, and my dad was overwhelmed with bills and could not help with college, so i paid my own way.
while we lived in a poor neighborhood with crap schools when my daughter was young, she was able to qualify to go to a magnet school (luckily) and she took 4 AP courses to help save money on college. She is now getting her masters.

sorry, no excuses.

Sounds like you'd agree that we have the ability to overcome adversity if we want to.

Sounds like you'd agree that we have the ability to overcome adversity if we want to.
if our parents aren't ignorant brainwashed pieces of shit, but you can't choose your parents, or stop them from watching CNN.

i do think it is a bit unfair to assume poor people trapped in a democrat plantation zone can just pickup and move to where the schools are better.

Last edited:
SLPS was my client for 20 years. The real reason they hate charter schools so much is that any parent who would even take the time to fill out a form to put their kids in a better school places them in the top 5% of families that GAF about education at all. I was told that 10% of the kids don’t sleep in the same place for more than a week all school year long. 30% of the kids are only fed at school. About half don’t have a quiet place to do homework...

The visible failings of Ghetto culture are only the tip of the iceberg. It’s not generational poverty and crime of its own accord. It’s welfare fueled selfishness on a scale that no normal parent can understand, and we are talking generations. Poverty doesn’t make someone bad, but culture absolutely can.

SLPS was my client for 20 years. The real reason they hate charter schools so much is that any parent who would even take the time to fill out a form to put their kids in a better school places them in the top 5% of families that GAF about education at all. I was told that 10% of the kids don’t sleep in the same place for more than a week all school year long. 30% of the kids are only fed at school. About half don’t have a quiet place to do homework...

The visible failings of Ghetto culture are only the tip of the iceberg. It’s not generational poverty and crime of its own accord. It’s welfare fueled selfishness on a scale that no normal parent can understand, and we are talking generations. Poverty doesn’t make someone bad, but culture absolutely can.
saw this firsthand. lived in a "mixed" neighborhood, which means that you only saw white people if they are delivering mail, or arresting somebody.
many of my daughter's friends had to study at our house, because their apartments were full of people trying to sleep and could not turn on the lights to read, and of course they didn't have their own rooms.

Forced labor for low or no wages is still alive and well in most prisons (slave labor of convicts having been excluded from the 13th amendment)

Yes and no...

Yes, it's excluded from the 13th. If you're talking strictly federal then yes 100% of able bodied are required to work, but only ~8% of the total inmate population is working.