• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Changing profile and grip of synthetic stock?

Snakum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2010
Sandhills
I love my Savage Accustock, especially after shooting it today against a 10FCP McMillan from a sled. I like the accuracy, weight, and the forearm shape - not too wide, nicely rounded. But I really want a steeper angle on the pistol grip, and possibly a bit thicker. There are very few drop-in replacements for the Accustock with DBM and the new bolt release. I'm having a Hide member build a new custom Savage on a Manners stock this Fall, but I'll be competing and hunting bean fields with this one before the custom is done, and I'm tired of my wrist hurting.

I saw a thread online once showing how a guy had modified his fiber/composite hunting stock by layering it up and then shaping it. Problem is, I can't find it now.

Anyone have any suggestions or links for layering a synthetic stock?

Re: Changing profile and grip of synthetic stock?

I've never done it before, but maybe you could use some marine tex or devcon and build it up in layers then sand it down to the shape you want it.

Hmmm ... didn't think about marine tex. Sure would be easier than layering fiberglass. Danke.

Snakum, use some modeling clay on the stock to get it to what you want ..... its easy to mold and cheap .... then carefully pull it off the stock, use a piece of styrofoam to copy the shape of the clay. Then you can fiberglass it on.

I was thinking about doing this as well, with some devcon, on my 700 sps stock. Let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks for all the info.

I might try the Devcon thang first if I can build up a form of some kind to support the media around the grip. Maybe set the stock in a sled and tape some thin cardboard around the grip so that there is space in the front of the grip for the devcon to set up in. Then just fine tune the form when it hardens.

You might try to stick a dollop of your epoxy to the stock first and try prying it off before you get fully into the project. Some of those synthetic plastics won't bond with epoxy. I don't know what plastic the Savage is made from. Rough up the grip and drill a bunch of little holes all over the area you are going to build up so that you get a mechanical lock. Those stocks can flex quite a bit and will pop poor adhesive bonds off.

Yep ... got that covered. Gonna drill the grip and use small dowels in the front. I've bedded a few rifles with Devcon Epoxy and as long as it is thoroughly mixed and the stock is sanded it sets up and bonds like a weld. I just hate the thought of messing with the stock and screwing it up, cuz it's so perfect in every other way. I hate the fekkin Accutrigger right now ... I mean HATE it. But I loves me some AccuStock. :0

Try fibral it's made by U-pol. Much easier to use than Fiberglass. Sands easier to. I would recommend 36 grit scratches and use some adhesion promoter. It can all be purchased at a local body shop supply. Sand with 36 to get your desired shape. Then 80 and 180. Rough your stock up with 180 use the adhesion promoter and prime. Should work well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try fibral it's made by U-pol. Much easier to use than Fiberglass. Sands easier to. I would recommend 36 grit scratches and use some adhesion promoter. It can all be purchased at a local body shop supply. Sand with 36 to get your desired shape. Then 80 and 180. Rough your stock up with 180 use the adhesion promoter and prime. Should work well.</div></div>

I looked up some info on Fibral. That sounds like good shit. Less runny than mixed Devcon. Less hassle than layering up fiberglass. Thanks dude!