• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chargemaster 1500 question

winniedonkey

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Orlando
Found out my chargemaster is throwing .2 high, even after calibration. I found this out by weighing brass w/primer then bullet, then a loaded round. 99% have been over .2. I found a node that between 43.9 and 44.1 shoots great(OCW and Magneto). The unit is hooked to a line conditioner and always warmed up for a few hrs before use. I have not drop tested it yet if wondering. Advice appreciated, thanks.

Only problem I ever had was with the dispenser, seized up (if it ever does that, it's a super easy fix BTW).

Never had it go out of whack, EVER, and I don't use a line conditioner and I use it in a cold garage without warming up and it works fine. Every time. I check it randomly using a triple beam. The check weights are also spot on. Never been dropped, but it's seen some abuse I guess. Been knocked around and taken apart for sure.

Have you weighed your check weights? Are they off? .2 isn't much but it is when you are using one of these devices. If the .2 is consistent, why not just program it out?

Or do you mean it's calibrating fine but then throwing .2 over often? If that's the case, a mcdonalds straw will usually do the trick (this is a common DIY for using flake powders in those units). They commonly overthrow some powders.

Also, the dispenser drive can crap out and it won't trickle right anymore. My motor sounded sluggish too, I took it apart, fixed it (easy, like I said). Hope one of these helps you.

If it's all over the place, I'd send it back if you can.

I use mine to throw powder for my mechanical scale. Works well for that and pretty fast. No way accurate enough for solo use loading.

I forgot to mention that I use the insert sold on here and I have no over throw issues. It is just that say 44gr is actually 44.2. When I weigh every component then subtract from a loaded round it is almost always .2gr above what it should be. I'm more inclined to roll with it. I 'll be loading up a bunch today. I'll report back after I do math stuff.

I was over throwing using the adapter sold on here. I went back to the McDonald's straw method and it's back to normal. Have you tried to reprogram it?

I have reprogrammed it to to speed up throws. I guess I will have to play around a bit and see what's up.
Only problem I ever had was with the dispenser, seized up (if it ever does that, it's a super easy fix BTW).

Never had it go out of whack, EVER, and I don't use a line conditioner and I use it in a cold garage without warming up and it works fine. Every time. I check it randomly using a triple beam. The check weights are also spot on. Never been dropped, but it's seen some abuse I guess. Been knocked around and taken apart for sure.

Have you weighed your check weights? Are they off? .2 isn't much but it is when you are using one of these devices. If the .2 is consistent, why not just program it out?

Or do you mean it's calibrating fine but then throwing .2 over often? If that's the case, a mcdonalds straw will usually do the trick (this is a common DIY for using flake powders in those units). They commonly overthrow some powders.

Also, the dispenser drive can crap out and it won't trickle right anymore. My motor sounded sluggish too, I took it apart, fixed it (easy, like I said). Hope one of these helps you.

If it's all over the place, I'd send it back if you can.

It calibrated fine, however it thinks it is throwing say 44, and reads 44, however after subtracting the weighed components from the loaded round it is .2 high. Nothing crazy and very consistent. I'll keep working and see if I can get it back to normal

So you're weighing the case, the primer, the powder, and the bullet all independently on the chargemaster or where?

Are you taking an average of measurements for a single component or a single sample? You're likely seeing scale inaccuracy stacking. You're chargemaster has a resolution of 0.1gr, meaning it can discern anywhere from -0.05gr +0.04gr before stepping to the next 0.1gr. My own chargemaster tends to be on the lower side when compared against a gempro 250 with a resolution of 0.02gr. I'll typically see the chargemaster at say 42.3gr and the gempro 250 at 42.26gr.

So if you're CM is consistently showing +0.04gr on components, it would show up as 42.34gr, if you stack all of your components with a .4 you're at 0.16gr, which will round up to 0.2gr on the CM display. You can check it against a beam scale or a scale with a higher resolution to confirm, but that also brings into question the accuracy and precision of the verification scale and the accuracy of your check-weight.

Reactions: JustBC
Weighed the case/primer, bullet, threw a charge and subtracted everything and always came up .2 high. Did enough to be compfortable with the repeatibility of it. It was more of an test for info and happened to stumble upon it. I should pick up a GemPro just to check. Good breakdown of the number stacking. Thank you.

I have a pair of 1500s. I check them against each other periodically. They always match if they are calibrated. I can load very consistent ammo with them.
If you have accurate consistent ammo then you are fine. If you are getting weird inconsistencies or fliers then you have a problem.
Is the answer to this worth the price of a GemPro? If so go ahead and buy it.
I am going to do some loading this weekend. I will try this as an experiment and post the results.
If you end up checking against the GemPro let me know how it comes out.

I use mine to throw powder for my mechanical scale. Works well for that and pretty fast. No way accurate enough for solo use loading.
I check my charges on a beam periodically and mine is dead on 99% of the time. No reason it can't be used solo. I like having the beam to double check if I am suspicious. But I have done that enough now that I trust it pretty well. The only time it gets off is when static builds up. I mean static in the tube that makes the powder clump, not static in the electronics.

So you're weighing the case, the primer, the powder, and the bullet all independently on the chargemaster or where?

Are you taking an average of measurements for a single component or a single sample? You're likely seeing scale inaccuracy stacking. You're chargemaster has a resolution of 0.1gr, meaning it can discern anywhere from -0.05gr +0.04gr before stepping to the next 0.1gr. My own chargemaster tends to be on the lower side when compared against a gempro 250 with a resolution of 0.02gr. I'll typically see the chargemaster at say 42.3gr and the gempro 250 at 42.26gr.

So if you're CM is consistently showing +0.04gr on components, it would show up as 42.34gr, if you stack all of your components with a .4 you're at 0.16gr, which will round up to 0.2gr on the CM display. You can check it against a beam scale or a scale with a higher resolution to confirm, but that also brings into question the accuracy and precision of the verification scale and the accuracy of your check-weight.
This. There is absolutely no reason to weigh all components and then call the charge off when it doesn't add up. That makes no sense.

My CM drifts. It will throw many surprisingly tight and some fair numbers until it does not.
A second scale I have great faith in catches it.
A third was also drifting. My Gempro. Worse than the CM. Importer [?] bought it back and has acknowleged the problem.
Values do not match between my CM and my mechanical scale. They repeat. This is what is important. This is what is relevant on my bench. This is why I like the CM. I understand my equipment and my 223 has proven to hold a 10" plate at 1000 with me driving a HS stock on a Harris bipod.

Like SporterII says, Consistency is what's most important. My CM measures/weighs within the same tolerances as touted above. Those charges are what I used to develop my OCW and load. I've used that load for many thousands of repeatable rounds. Do I care whether or not it may be consistently off by 0.2gr? No, not at all. The bullet does not care.

Believe the bullet.

Reactions: Mike_in_FL
My CM drifts. It will throw many surprisingly tight and some fair numbers until it does not.
A second scale I have great faith in catches it.
A third was also drifting. My Gempro. Worse than the CM. Importer [?] bought it back and has acknowleged the problem.
Values do not match between my CM and my mechanical scale. They repeat. This is what is important. This is what is relevant on my bench. This is why I like the CM. I understand my equipment and my 223 has proven to hold a 10" plate at 1000 with me driving a HS stock on a Harris bipod.
Watch for temp change if it is drifting. A few degrees shift in the room and you need to recalibrate. My man room has an oversized HVAC that can really change temp qqick and I see this often.

Reactions: SporterII
As mentioned above, auto charge then beam scale. I've never used a reliable auto charge.

If your components are each weighing close to 0.005 over, then the four components, you get 0.02 over. Your machine is not visualizing the 0.005, but adding it up, its shows. Accept it or find a measure with better displayed accuracy.