• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Charges per pound of powder

duke308

Keeper of the List
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2008
Mid Atlantic Region
Somewhere I had seen a spreadsheet showing the number of rounds you would get per pound of powder. Anybody have this info or the equation?

Re: Charges per pound of powder

Thanks for the info.

I was just thinking about reloading costs vs buying.

So lets say 44grains per round so lets just call it 160 rounds per lbs

So 1280 rnds per jug

8 lbs jug Varget $150
say $150 per 500 of 175 smk so so $375 roughly for 1250 rounds
Primers BR2 - $50 per 1000, so so $63 for 1250 rnds

Total without brass is $588 without brass

So I'm thinking match blackhills 175 around $570 or so for 500 rnds, so $1425 for 1250 rounds.

Hmm, just a quick mental exercise for me, because every now and then I get lazy and not want to reload
wink.gif

So I go through maybe 5-6k rounds per year in 308 in different rifles. Adds up pretty quick

7000 grains per pound...so divide your charge weight ( in grains )into 7000 and there is your answer.

Ooops, I got a phone call while someone else answered the question.

At almost $2 a round for a good factory match .308 round you are going to save money unless all you are doing is shooting bulk ammo. Even with the up front cost good quality brass you will get multiple reloads out of it which will cut the cost down dramatically. I shoot a lot of 9mm...I can get 1k rounds of bulk for around $300 or I can spend $20 on powder, $32 primers, $95 on bullets, and if I needed $45 for the brass. That's saving a good amount especially factoring in multiple loads on a piece of brass.

i work in grams just times the amount of grams by 15.432 and that will give you the number of grains in a tub

in the land of OZ we buy it buy it in either 500g or 4kg about 1lb and 8 lb, 500gram has 7,700 grains of powder and 4 kg has 61,700 grains (500g = $50 4kg= $265)

by 45 grain per shot (.308) thats 171 rounds for the 500grams and 1,371 rounds for the 4KG tub

@PadronAniversary

OMG $150 US for 8lb of varget, its made here in OZ (as far as im aware) and we pay almost twice as much for it
frown.gif

There are a lot of differences between ammo off the shelf, and handloads fresh from the press.

The one that has value for me is the freshness aspect. As ammo sits, neck tensions will subtly alter, adversely affecting velocities and velocity spreads. I try not to load ammo more than two weeks in advance of its intended usage. The components are of more value to me in their separate states than as bulk ammo, no matter how well developed and carefully crafted.

So when you compute powder stocks conversions into cartidge numbers, separate that thinking from the idea of making it all up at once. Make what you know you need for a specific purpose at a specific time, and keep the rest as ready reserves, uncombined.

Greg

BR2 and CCI 200 make no difference thru my chronograph, same with 210m and 210, the only difference I see is in price and avalibility

And if cost is a concern I get the same FPS with less powder with CCI primers

454 grams divided by the charge weight in grams.

john_1182: Is your price comparison in AU money or already converted for the exchange rate?

AU, Australian, not gold!

We have only an 11% wildlife habitat tax included in our price, with local state sales taxes added after. Those who mail order from other states and don't get charged sales tax technically have to pay a "use tax" to their home state at the end of the year, in most states.

So...the "out the door" price for a 8-lb jug of Varget will be closer to $150 + 7.5% state sales tax for $161.25 over the counter at last year's prices. Mail order, it can be $135.35 for the jug, $20 HazMat shipping fee, plus $11.50 shipping handling and insurance (or more), for $166.85.

Over the counter is now *if* you can even find it. I've seen $29.95 for 1-lb containers, and heard of $175 for the rare 8-lb jug.