• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Charisma Owen killing it at Camp Perry in Service Rifle Comp.

Frank Green

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2006
wisconsin
www.bartleinbarrels.com
So in late May Nez (BAMBAN) over on the M14 forum asked me if I/we could help a junior shooter out. Her Name is Charisma Owen. This was the request I got from Nez...

"I am looking for a 224 CF blank in 7 or 7.5 twist 1 inch straight to finish for an AR 15. I am supporting our Junior program. This young lady, our top shooter, HM, Distinguished, P100, decided to shoot with the adult team in her final year of eligibility. However, she is required to turn in the program issued upper. Now, she is in dire need of an upper. She's got the rest of the parts but no barrel."

By luck and chance we had a 7.5 twist laying around. I'm not joking about that. So I sent it off to Nez right away the same day. He got the upper built for her as fast as he could (he finished turned the barrel and chambered and gas ported it etc...) and she was able to get a few rounds on it before heading to Perry. She had enough time to zero the rifle and practice with it a little at 300 yards.

Had a mechanical problem with the pins in the lower on the first day I think it was but she kept it together....With that.... she was high civilian, High overall Service Rifle and won the agg in offhand for civilians, jr's and the women's class!

This is getting it done

1689856098193.jpeg

1689856136805.jpeg

What size targets do they shoot with that stuff? Just trying to get an idea of how good of a shot she is. Obviously she's very good

What size targets do they shoot with that stuff? Just trying to get an idea of how good of a shot she is. Obviously she's very good
Standard Service/HI power rifle targets for example the the X ring at 600 yards is 6" across.

Keep in mind there is no bipods etc... sling only. You shoot offhand at 200 yards (sling on gun but not allowed to be used) 20 rounds for record, then sitting rapid at 200 yards (60 seconds for each string starting from the standing position), then prone rapid at 300 yards (here you get 70 seconds again starting from the standing position also you have to do a mag change on your strings of 10 at the rapid fire stages. Service rifle you have to shoot 2 rounds and do a mag change and then shoot 8. You do that twice. Then at 600 yards that's prone sling slow fire. Again 20 rounds for record and normally 22 minutes. You get two sighters prior to each stage.

Standard Service/HI power rifle targets for example the the X ring at 600 yards is 6" across.

Keep in mind there is no bipods etc... sling only. You shoot offhand at 200 yards (sling on gun but not allowed to be used) 20 rounds for record, then sitting rapid at 200 yards (60 seconds for each string starting from the standing position), then prone rapid at 300 yards (here you get 70 seconds again starting from the standing position also you have to do a mag change on your strings of 10 at the rapid fire stages. Service rifle you have to shoot 2 rounds and do a mag change and then shoot 8. You do that twice. Then at 600 yards that's prone sling slow fire. Again 20 rounds for record and normally 22 minutes. You get two sighters prior to each stage.
6" at 600 off hand and hitting it nearly every time is pretty dang sporty.

Reactions: 81STFACP
Outstanding!! I’m glad you could help her get set up Frank.

Question:
Are these open sight matches or can they use 4x scopes?

Some day I want to try this with a RRA NM-A4 I’ve had sitting around since the day Obama got elected the first time. I’ve shot it very little up to this point.

Outstanding!! I’m glad you could help her get set up Frank.

Question:
Are these open sight matches or can they use 4x scopes?

Some day I want to try this with a RRA NM-A4 I’ve had sitting around since the day Obama got elected the first time. I’ve shot it very little up to this point.
I don't agree with it... but in service rifle you can use open sights or a scope up to 4x and unless I'm wrong your in the same class. I'm pretty sure she is running a 4x scope.

Either way she beat the AMU guys if I'm not mistaken in the same class and I'm pretty sure they're all running 4x scopes.

I don't agree with it... but in service rifle you can use open sights or a scope up to 4x and unless I'm wrong your in the same class. I'm pretty sure she is running a 4x scope.

Either way she beat the AMU guys if I'm not mistaken in the same class and I'm pretty sure they're all running 4x scopes.
Congratulations Charisma, Congratulations Nez and Congratulations Frank !

This is VERY COOL !!! :cool::):):)

600 is prone

200 standing slow
200 sitting rapid with mag change
300 prone rapid with mag change
600 prone slow

the card shows positions and times etc
Yeah, since you said that I looked at the card zoomed in and can see. I was kind of wondering about the 600 yds standing but still, that's 600 prone with NO bipod right? Just your off hand and that's it? Pretty good shooting right there.
200 standing is hard to hit a 6" target, and to do it over and over is pretty incredible. Glad you could help her out with that barrel Frank, I'm sure she's proud as she should be.

Yeah, since you said that I looked at the card zoomed in and can see. I was kind of wondering about the 600 yds standing but still, that's 600 prone with NO bipod right? Just your off hand and that's it? Pretty good shooting right there.
200 standing is hard to hit a 6" target, and to do it over and over is pretty incredible. Glad you could help her out with that barrel Frank, I'm sure she's proud as she should be.
target zone sizes change a bit with position and distance

no bipod or rear bag, but sling and a thick ass leather padded jacket and glove

you can get pretty damn stable with the gear they use. like very stable.

Reactions: canman and Baron23
target zone sizes change a bit with position and distance

no bipod or rear bag, but sling and a thick ass leather padded jacket and glove

you can get pretty damn stable with the gear they use. like very stable.
Ok, in familiar with the leather sling they use but I didn't realize they could use anything else. The glove is that really thick fingerless glove they use to hold position?

Ok, in familiar with the leather sling they use but I didn't realize they could use anything else. The glove is that really thick fingerless glove they use to hold position?
So is this different than the service rifle comp CMP that allows 4.5 optic use or is that the same thing?

Heavy shooting coats with a heavy under garment is what I have seen and the gloves I’ve see are very heavy with full fingers.

Still, far far far from easy in my opinion.

Very cool. It's this kind of support for the sport that makes me glad to buy my barrels from you folks. Of course it doesn't hurt that your barrels are shooters as well...

So in late May Nez (BAMBAN) over on the M14 forum asked me if I/we could help a junior shooter out. Her Name is Charisma Owen. This was the request I got from Nez...

"I am looking for a 224 CF blank in 7 or 7.5 twist 1 inch straight to finish for an AR 15. I am supporting our Junior program. This young lady, our top shooter, HM, Distinguished, P100, decided to shoot with the adult team in her final year of eligibility. However, she is required to turn in the program issued upper. Now, she is in dire need of an upper. She's got the rest of the parts but no barrel."

By luck and chance we had a 7.5 twist laying around. I'm not joking about that. So I sent it off to Nez right away the same day. He got the upper built for her as fast as he could (he finished turned the barrel and chambered and gas ported it etc...) and she was able to get a few rounds on it before heading to Perry. She had enough time to zero the rifle and practice with it a little at 300 yards.

Had a mechanical problem with the pins in the lower on the first day I think it was but she kept it together....With that.... she was high civilian, High overall Service Rifle and won the agg in offhand for civilians, jr's and the women's class!

This is getting it done

View attachment 8186808

View attachment 8186809

Frank,

Thank you for the donation.

Nez

@Frank Green Thanks for being a supporter. High power/across the course matches don't get the big prize tables and fanfare that PRS stuff does these days, so any help we can get from the industry is much appreciated.
We donate to the CMP matches as well at Perry and the like as well as F Class etc.... I do agree that High Power typically doesn't get the fanfare that PRS and some others do.

Later, Frank

This was a carbon fiber wrapped blank? How was the gas port done? A block like proof does it making it gas gun specific?

This was a carbon fiber wrapped blank? How was the gas port done? A block like proof does it making it gas gun specific?
No just an all steel barrel on her gun.

The 224 CF in the first post stands for 224 centerfire. Not carbon fiber.

You can do and we've done CFW AR barrels. Where the gas block goes you/we leave that all steel. So the wrapping is done both before and after the block.

Last edited:
Frank, this was her performance today in the no sighter match, President's Hundred. Not very many competitors this year, just over 800. We used to get a 1000 more or so years ago.

She is #26 so far. Not sure if all scores have counted, but the top shooters' names are in already

"Strong wind but consistent . I just shot poorly on my feet and didn't believe it was 4 mins of wind at 6. Dropped 2 points there and cleaned it after "

1000000649.jpg

Last edited: