• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis Features

Oaxana

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
I’ve been shopping around for a chassis for a new build and wanted to know what are the most valuable features for a chassis?

I’ve been shopping around for a chassis for a new build and wanted to know what are the most valuable features for a chassis?

You need to know what you want it to weigh, you need to be sure that the length of Pull is what you want, or that it is adjustable to what you want. It needs to be comfortable for you. It needs to look cool.

Just my thoughts, I may be missing something.

You need to know what you want it to weigh, you need to be sure that the length of Pull is what you want, or that it is adjustable to what you want. It needs to be comfortable for you. It needs to look cool.

Just my thoughts, I may be missing something.
For example take the top 4 chassis manufacturers like MDT Krg Xlr Mpa. They all have fully adjustable buttstocks and modular features. I’m trying to find the small features that really make a difference.

For example take the top 4 chassis manufacturers like MDT Krg Xlr Mpa. They all have fully adjustable buttstocks and modular features. I’m trying to find the small features that really make a difference.
Here's some small details that you could consider.

1) Arca rail for bipod mount standard

2) Foldable buttstock.

3) Tool-less adjustments.

4) Thumb rest

5) Bag rider options

Reactions: gnochi
Well, the small details will very much come down to personal preference.
I really like KRGs chassis, great ergos, great attention to detail and great overall feel. They are also very helpfull, not that I have had to reach out to them all that often, but when I have, they have gone above and beyond. There are a lot of nice chassis out there these days, but to me, KRG and Accracy International still stand tall.

To me, feauters I grade as a must have are:
Lenght of pull adjustment.
Comb height.
Recoilpad height.

Nice to have feauters are things like:
Folding stock.

I dont shoot PRS so all the adjustable and add on weights are not something I care about.

Reactions: Steel head
To me, ability to get a proper grip (90 degree trigger finger) while still holding onto the grip (not finger tipping it). Unfortunately, other than physically having one in your hand, it's hard to tell. The MDT ACC has a grip that adjusts fore and aft.

Beyond that: Lenght of Pull, adjustable cheek, and Arca rail.

Well, the small details will very much come down to personal preference.
I really like KRGs chassis, great ergos, great attention to detail and great overall feel. They are also very helpfull, not that I have had to reach out to them all that often, but when I have, they have gone above and beyond. There are a lot of nice chassis out there these days, but to me, KRG and Accracy International still stand tall.

To me, feauters I grade as a must have are:
Lenght of pull adjustment.
Comb height.
Recoilpad height.

Nice to have feauters are things like:
Folding stock.

I dont shoot PRS so all the adjustable and add on weights are not something I care about.
I have similar priorities.

thumb rest and all the other hip and cool doodads mean nothing to me.

I have a different approach.

Chassis are sufficiently modular and adjustable that you can pretty much make them what you want them to be.

My concern is will the action, magazine, and chassis play well together.

If you tell us what you are assembling, you might get some better advice and experiences.

I have a different approach.

Chassis are sufficiently modular and adjustable that you can pretty much make them what you want them to be.

My concern is will the action, magazine, and chassis play well together.

If you tell us what you are assembling, you might get some better advice and experiences.

To add onto this, what are you going to use it for? F-class? PRS? Plinking?

If it isn't comfortable, you won't be able to shoot it well.

Comfort comes from adjustability. Get something you can tune to fit you. The more adjustability, the better.

LOP, comb height and pad adjustability are essential.

If you're not familiar with pad adjustability, go to a trap club and look at the pads on most trap guns. You will be hard pressed to find a decent trap gun with the recoil pad straight up and down, your shoulder isn't built that way.

It's necessary on a trap gun to enable you to keep your head on the stock to hit a moving target. While a rifle is a different animal, the ability to cant the pad a bit makes it much easier to bear down on the stock and get a consistent gun mount every time.

I just recently learned how much I like height adjustable butt pads.

Not a make or break feature for some but moving forward I'm going to try to get more of them. My new Woox Furiosa has a lot of adjustability and I'm digging it for heavy rigs. I still love my krg bravo and I plan on getting the new butt plate height module for it.

one way or another they all share pretty common features
LOP and cheek adjustment
RRS/Arca rails
weights
some offer height and cant or toolless which may be a priority for you

for me it comes down to hand placement
MPA wins on this by a lot with the BA Comp and the Matrix
the 'shelf' ridge thing on the MDT ACC just isn't comfortable to me and messes with how I cycle the bolt. just not enough purchase for the thumb
The KRG are in the middle. comfortable, not annoying, but not perfect.
The XLR thumbshelf is decent. I have one coming for a loaded Envy Pro for a long action build so not quite the same cycling as a comp gun

The regular PRS manners i just don't like the palm swell and lack of thumb shelf. The TCS seems better but their thumb shelf is still small and high for me

The McMillan Z1 has a massive thumb shelf like the MPAs do. a very comfortable and well thought out vertical grip and middle finger hand stop for repeatable placement. I can still add all the weight and features I want to it