• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis - MDT Oryx vs LSS-XL

Beezer911

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2020
Midwest
Hey All,
Acquired a Howa 1500 Mini in .223 (couldn’t pass up the deal) and am looking for a chassis. Given that there are precious few chassis that take a Howa Mini (I really wanted a Bravo) I’m narrowed the already slim field down to an Oryx or an LSS-XL.

My question is: has anyone used both? If so, is the LSS-XL worth double the price? My use will be plinking, shooting prairie dogs, maybe practice some PRS (I have a 6.5CM in a Bravo to actually compete with). Not hard core competition or anything.

The only issues I really see with the Oryx are the lack of front sling mount (I’ll put the Arca rail on the bottom so that takes out the m-look slots) and the fact that the buttstock is higher that the bore. Stupid design flaw that makes cleaning fun.

Anyway - just want to know if the LSS-XL is really that much better or if I should save the extra $400 and put it toward glass.

Thanks!!

Depends on what your going to do if your going to use the m-lok on the side of the lss. Then it probably is and the design is I like better on the lss xl and there Black Friday sale will be happening soon…. So you might be able to save some money on the lss xl

I have an Oryx on a Savage and you can add a sling mount to it. The cheek riser on mine has a cutout on it so the bolt can be removed without having to take the cheek riser off. They also make an ARCA adapter to add accessories. Again this is on a Savage AxisII so I to was limited to what choices were available because of bolt spacing on the action. It is a solid chassis but a little on the heavy side.

Another plus was the ability to use AICS mags which upped my mag capacity from 4 rounds to 10 Mine is in 6mm ARC.

Attachments

• ResizerImage716X366.jpg
    ResizerImage716X366.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 252
Reactions: Beezer911
I have both an Oryx and lss xl gen2. Which stock interface were you looking at on the lss?

The Oryx chassis is much heavier than the lss. The lss forend is longer, but can twist torsionally a bit under load (I put a NV bridge on mine to stiffen it up).

The core of each chassis (action to chassis interface) are just as good as each other and either will work as a PRS trainer, but the oryx although machined to the same quality and not at all fit/functionally inferior to the lss definitely doesn't have the intricacy and time of machining that the lss does.

Is it "worth" twice as much? From a "will it make me twice as good of a shooter" perspective, no. From a design and manufacturing/machining perspective, most likely.

I'm running an LSS-XL Gen 2 which I chose over the Oryx because of a number of factors- I wanted to be able to choose my buttstock, I wanted the integral thumb rest, and I wanted the M-Lok stuff on the sides of the fore end. I added a shit load of weight and extended my bipod forward. I'm pretty happy with my choice *but* I think it might depend heavily on what kind of shooting yer doing which choice is best for you.

FinalBuildwithVortexGE.jpg

Good luck with whatever you choose. MDT makes fabulous stuff.

VooDoo

I have both an Oryx and lss xl gen2. Which stock interface were you looking at on the lss?

The Oryx chassis is much heavier than the lss. The lss forend is longer, but can twist torsionally a bit under load (I put a NV bridge on mine to stiffen it up).

The core of each chassis (action to chassis interface) are just as good as each other and either will work as a PRS trainer, but the oryx although machined to the same quality and not at all fit/functionally inferior to the lss definitely doesn't have the intricacy and time of machining that the lss does.

Is it "worth" twice as much? From a "will it make me twice as good of a shooter" perspective, no. From a design and manufacturing/machining perspective, most likely.
I’m stuck with the carbine interface. For some reason they don’t make the fixed interface for the howa mini. That said, I’m leaning toward the Oryx based on what you laid out. It’ll be a range toy to screw around with when I don’t feel like firing tons of more expensive 6.5cm ammo and burning out the barrel, and for whacking prairie dogs. I just want to make sure there isn’t something missing from the Oryx that I figure our after buying it that would have changed my mind. Doesn’t sound like that’s the case.

Thx for the info!

Depends on what your going to do if your going to use the m-lok on the side of the lss. Then it probably is and the design is I like better on the lss xl and there Black Friday sale will be happening soon…. So you might be able to save some money on the lss xl
The side m-lok slots are my last hang up right now. I want a QD mount up front (I use a modified sling when shooting from a tripod) and I’ll use cover all the m-lok slots on teh oryx when I put the arca rail on. Guess I could put a QD mount onto an arca clamp. On the LSS I’d just add a QD to the far left side. That said, I’m also starting to tall myself into the idea that the Oryx will be fine for this one and that I really need to build another 223 with a Bighorn and get the LSS for that…

I'm running an LSS-XL Gen 2 which I chose over the Oryx because of a number of factors- I wanted to be able to choose my buttstock, I wanted the integral thumb rest, and I wanted the M-Lok stuff on the sides of the fore end. I added a shit load of weight and extended my bipod forward. I'm pretty happy with my choice *but* I think it might depend heavily on what kind of shooting yer doing which choice is best for you.

View attachment 7980956

Good luck with whatever you choose. MDT makes fabulous stuff.

VooDoo
Nice set-up! Which buttstock is that?

I initially thought it’d be good to ad weight, but it’s only a 223 and I have a brake so that’s probably not an issue on this one. My 6.5CM sure is nicer with weights on it though.

I have an Oryx on a Savage and you can add a sling mount to it. The cheek riser on mine has a cutout on it so the bolt can be removed without having to take the cheek riser off. They also make an ARCA adapter to add accessories. Again this is on a Savage AxisII so I to was limited to what choices were available because of bolt spacing on the action. It is a solid chassis but a little on the heavy side.

Another plus was the ability to use AICS mags which upped my mag capacity from 4 rounds to 10 Mine is in 6mm ARC.
Where can you add the mount? Just on the underside of the foreend? I ask because I would throw the arca rail on and figure that would cover all the m-lok slots. From what I can see though, it looks like a guy could mill out an oval hole in the plastic panel on the side of the fore end then drill and tap a couple holes in the aluminum. Might be an easy and useful mod.

Nice set-up! Which buttstock is that?

I initially thought it’d be good to ad weight, but it’s only a 223 and I have a brake so that’s probably not an issue on this one. My 6.5CM sure is nicer with weights on it though.
The buttstock is an XLR Industries Extreme stock....they no longer make offer this one which sucks 'cause I'm wanting to build an exact gun in .338 Lapua. Probably better stuff out there now as it's going on 4 years I built this gun up.

VooDoo

Well, it's a done deal. Optics planet raised the price on the Oryx back to normal and sent a coupon code out. Made the LSS-XL cheap enough that I said screw it cause the price was pretty getting pretty close. I'll throw an AR tube and stock on for now, and get the MDT carbine stock at a black Friday sale. Also need to figure out which grip I want. Now I just have to wait for it to get here.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci