• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis or stock, for hunting.

Gonze62

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2019
Looking to upgrade my hunting rifle. Having s hard time choosing between a chassis or a stock, such as a grayboe or manners. Will be shot almost exclusively off a tripod with hog saddle. Opinions?

26300A47-3BAA-45B9-A444-BB84001C6D34.jpeg
Current setup

Stock for me,,
Manners EH6A

Attachments

• 9BF056D0-65C3-46CC-B05D-3A210416A0AC.jpeg
    9BF056D0-65C3-46CC-B05D-3A210416A0AC.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 106
Depends on the hunting situation and personal preference. The bravo or the oryx would be happy medium I think.

With your me toon of tripod and saddle, I would think a chassis would be a little better option for you. I'm assuming you're not moving much.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Depends on the hunting situation and personal preference. The bravo or the oryx would be happy medium I think.

With your me toon of tripod and saddle, I would think a chassis would be a little better option for you. I'm assuming you're not moving much.
Ya not doing to much moving. A good light weight chassis or stock would be preferred. Hauling a pack, rifle and tripod.

Hunting from tripod earlier this morning.

Attachments

• 7378C09C-07A4-430D-9905-EA735F88F0C9.jpeg
    7378C09C-07A4-430D-9905-EA735F88F0C9.jpeg
    905.5 KB · Views: 200
Regardless of the application, it’s important that you set your rifle up to fit you properly. In most cases, it’s easier cheaper and faster to do that with a chassis. The KRG Bravo is an excellent option, not super heavy and the plastic is a lot nicer than aluminum when it’s cold outside.

Regardless of the application, it’s important that you set your rifle up to fit you properly. In most cases, it’s easier cheaper and faster to do that with a chassis. The KRG Bravo is an excellent option, not super heavy and the plastic is a lot nicer than aluminum when it’s cold outside.
Thank you! Something i never considered was when the weather gets cold and the stock material. Noted

What are you more comfortable in? For a cheap solution, the KRG Bravo is a heck of an addition for the money. There are tons of options out there, just find something that tickles your fancy and giver it a go.

The KRG Bravo has so many options and doesn't break the bank, although adding up accessories can get you up there quickly but the good news is: its a chassis so you can add, or change out things as you go. You can even run it in a hunting configuration during hunting season, and then switch it to competition, or range style if you like.

I’m a chassis hunter now that the XLR Element 3.0 is out. It’s lighter than any traditional stock with a folder. As mentioned above, it’s so much easier to fine tune it to fit your body. Plus, I compete in matches all year long with chassis rifles, so my feel and ergos remain the same. I hear people on the cold metal. But I wear gloves all the time when I’m hunting, so it doesn’t bother me.

In general, for hunting (to include walking in the woods or climbing the mountains) - weight of the rifle is very important. The less weight, the better. As far as I'm concerned, that is the metric to use.

I hunt with a chassis rifle and it works for me. I'm sure you too could use something similar and have it work to your advantage...

20190123_074015.jpg

I like the Christensen MPR chassis. The carbon doesn’t feel as cold as aluminum does. It’s also a right side folder which feels more compact than a left side.

XLR is lighter so definitely a consideration depending on what you’re doing.

I just put this one together with a lone peak arms titanium action
22” Proof carbon barrel
Tract 4-20 scope -2.5lbs
Xlr 3.0 magnesium chassis with tactical buttstock
With the bipods and suppressor on it weighs 11.5 lbs.

Attachments

• 56DDB80C-D9AA-420F-8850-97F31DC79C63.jpeg
    56DDB80C-D9AA-420F-8850-97F31DC79C63.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: XLR Industries
Good stuff guys, whats a good light weight chassis?

I don't think the bravo can be beat.

It's relatively light weight (2.6 lbs?)

It doesn't suck the heat out of you.

It's damn cheap for what you get.

I know I could wear heavier gloves, but I still love my wood and plastic when the temps are down. The lighter the glove I can get away with I will. With the slow heat transfer and a good sling I've found I usually need nothing more than mechanics gloves as I don't need to handle the rifle long, nor do I get that instant freeze that happens when you grab cold metal.

I think this is all dependent on what you like. I purchased a chassis first and I do like it but after finally purchasing a Manners i like that hands down better. But that is what I prefer. I like the wieght and feel of the stocks alot more. I have a XLR element chassis. It is nice just dont like it as much as the stocks. I purchased a Bell and carlson stock that I could cut down real short for my kids and i even like that better then the chassis. Thought I would prefer a chassis coming from the AR platforms but I guess not.

Mpa hybrid folder for me. I like stocks but every chassis I’ve owned is a straight hammer.

How is the bravo for offhand/sitting shots? I have an X-ray and how it is set up and balanced it makes me want to hold the magazine or just in front of it and it’s not the most comfortable rifle to snuggle up with against a tree while sitting, but it’s also a 16lb rifle

How is a bravo in a 10lb rifle for hunting?

Stock for me. I hunt where it’s cold. The bravo was close, but too heavy and I hate aics mags for a hunting rifle.

If you don’t mind the weight and aics you could always get the bravo. I think it’s a great stock. On top of that you can throw a rail or plate on the chassis, and eliminate the saddle.

As for hunting with a vertical grip stock, the bravo has me replacing all my hunting stocks to vertical grip .

Last edited:
Weight of the basic KRG Bravo without mag is only 2.9 lbs. an ultralight McMillan Hunter Edge stock is around 26oz. I don't think one pound extra is making a huge difference considering the benefits earned in configurability without having to resort to gunsmithing that requires drilling, glueing, bedding,...
I see the AICS as a benefit because the Bravo does not require the added expense of a DBM to use the AICS mags, and because I'm not a fan of single feed that's why I choose a Bighorn Arms TL3 SA, over a SR 3 but as always personal preference.
On McMillan's web site an Ultralight Hunters Edge is $636, a KRG Bravo is $349 anywhere you look (unless you manage to snag one cheaper in the Sniper's Hide P.X.).
All the advantages of a regular chassis but the Bravo has more of a traditional stock feel though, and the polymer is a lot nicer in the cold of winter on the hands even with gloves.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
Clean good shoot the exit wound on that is just nice How many yards out and what is the total weight on the rifle

Thank you. That shot was about 225 yards with a 140g Nosler Ballistic Tip at 2830 FPS.
I haven't weighed the rifle, but SWAG between 11 and 12 lbs with the bipod and a full 5 round magazine.

Manners MCS T4A.

Standard weight according to Manners: 4.2 lbs.

Also forgot to mention on the McMillan since you need to add a DBM if you shoot with magazine that will add around another 4 oz., so that the McMillan will be right around 1.9 lbs. in the Ultra light version exactly one lb. less than the KRG but the metal adds to the price, plus the bedding and if you want to use the stock for a different rifle later the grinding will be loads of fun.

For the range I might choose a Manners with a mini chassis depending on what I want to spend and availability, if the Manners is on stock in the dealers hand ready to be shipped, for hunting the KRG Bravo every time.

Last edited:
Standard weight according to Manners: 4.2 lbs.

Also forgot to mention on the McMillan since you need to add a DBM if you shoot with magazine that will add around another 4 oz., so that the McMillan will be right around 1.9 lbs. in the Ultra light version exactly one lb. less than the KRG but the metal adds to the price, plus the bedding and if you want to use the stock for a different rifle later the grinding will be loads of fun.

For the range I might choose a Manners with a mini chassis depending on what I want to spend and availability, if the Manners is on stock in the dealers hand ready to be shipped, for hunting the KRG Bravo every time.
True. Mine is just the MCS T4 at 2.8 pounds. I mounted a kydex cheek riser and that only added about 4 ounces.