• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Chassis Purchase Advice

pinklbd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2013
Northport, AL
Pretty new to this whole long range shooting, but pretty recently have gotten into shooting Precision Rifle Matches off of Barricades and such. Looking at getting into a chassis on a budget. I have a Rem 700 in 308 and have been looking at the Mcrees pretty hard. Specifically the M7 folder with the level built in. Am I overlooking any other contenders out there in the LESS than $800 range?

Thanks Ben

Not a fan of the Mcree at all. The Rock Solid and the XLR Element are pretty nice and get my vote. One important thing to keep in mind is that if you are picking a chassis based strictly on the opinions of others, there is a good chance you'll be selling it after you've purchased it. What works well for one guy, may not work at all for the next guy. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it will fit you good.

Not a fan of the Mcree at all. The Rock Solid and the XLR Element are pretty nice and get my vote. One important thing to keep in mind is that if you are picking a chassis based strictly on the opinions of others, there is a good chance you'll be selling it after you've purchased it. What works well for one guy, may not work at all for the next guy. Just because it looks good doesn't mean it will fit you good.

I understand the fit issue. I don't really have a good place to get behind a bunch of different chassis systems. What were your issues with the Mcree?

I personally love my Mcree. Fit and finish were perfect. Ergonomics are outstanding. Customer service is second to none. If I had to find one complaint it would be that its on the heavy side compared to say an XLR carbon.

I personally love my Mcree. Fit and finish were perfect. Ergonomics are outstanding. Customer service is second to none. If I had to find one complaint it would be that its on the heavy side compared to say an XLR carbon.

I don't know how I feel about the whole polymer thing. I just don't know that much about it. The one good thing about a polymer though is the weight.

I like the MDT Tac 21. I doesn't seem to be as popular as some of the others, but it's a good solid chassis.

240859.jpg

This!!

KRG and XLR would be on the top of my go to list.
If/when Accuracy International starts offering a chassis with a pistolgrip for size 10 and bigger hands, they would also rank highly on that list.
In the end you need to get behind them and see what you like/prefer.

Huge fan of my XLR Element. I mean, we are talking a complete drop in out of the box - ready to shoot out of the box - top of the line chassis for under $600. It's a beautiful chassis, and fuctionally it is stellar. XLR makes other excellent chassis as well - but the reason I like the element so much is the cost, and I prefer having an open top to have my scope base on the receiver. Also I am able to have the scope on low rings.

XLR Industries | Element-chassis

I've personally been behind all of the chassis that have been recommended. Here is my opinion. 1) McRee: absolutely great chassis system- drop in and go. They are easy to adjust and real comfortable. (I've personally owned 2 of them). 2) XLR: While I have never owned one, one of my buddies has one and its a great chassis. My absolute only complain is the round hand guard up front. And that simply from the prospective of shooting off barricades and such in comps. 3) Rock Solid: such a simple great design and an almost perfect chassis for comp type shooting. Again drop in, easy to adjust, and then your off to the races. 4) KRG: while I admittedly haven't spent as much time behind this chassis as I have the rest of them and I've never been behind the newer Xray; the w3 is one of my favorite in stylistic features and overall performance. Yes, yes.. this is not under 800$ but nor is the AI chassis and that I would stay away from, its truly not for everyone. It really didn't fit me. I'm 6'0-6'1 180 lbs and I have arms like a trex. Idk what it was about AI chassis but I just did not like them (however, to each their own).
If it were me in that price range, I would honestly take a look at Rock Solid and McRee for competition style shooting and the XLR for your all around stock. The KRG Xray I can't speak to much about but there is a solid thread on here about it in which I'm sure you could find plenty of info.

I am in the same boat as the op. I was dead set on a rock solid chassis but after a few emails and no response I am kinda turned off. I'm sure it's a great product, but I prefer better customer service is all. With that said I have talked with the guys at mcree chassis and xlr and I think I have narrowed it down to the xlr element chassis. The price is great and everything I've read the product is great too! Hope to order mine soon and I'll be glad to give you a report

With the chassis with the tube handgaurd, do u have to use medium rings and raise the scope further off the barrel?

You might call around and look at the ax chassis. The new model is out, so they may blow out the old model.

With the chassis with the tube handgaurd, do u have to use medium rings and raise the scope further off the barrel?

From what I've seen - most people need at least mediums, but I would guess probably even higher rings to get a scope on with larger objective lenses. I may have read that info wrong when I was trying to make a decision on my chassis, but it was one of the reasons I went with the XLR.

Yes. Most people are running at least medium height rings to clear the handgaurd. The cheek piece is adjustable tho, so you shouldnt have any problems getting a good cheek weld.

Yes. Most people are running at least medium height rings to clear the handgaurd. The cheek piece is adjustable tho, so you shouldnt have any problems getting a good cheek weld.

Thats what I was thinking. I will probably go with a chassis that does not have the tubular hand guard. I like the concept but don't think I would like the feel. I have been wanting my scopes to be as low as possible.

I just ordered the m7 Mcree!! We will see how it fits and how I like it. Good thing is I have never owned a chassis so I will not know any difference!

Had my new stock to me in 2 days and the shipping was $2 cheaper than the 100 projectiles I just ordered. If this stock is half as good as the customer service from Mcree, I will be in good shape!

the only bad thing about some chassis is you get behind one of the expensive ones and it fits like a glove then you gotta have it :(. My experience behind an ashbury rifle.