• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis question

Carpdoctor

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2011
Iowa
I walked away from shooting rifles 15 years ago to shoot USPSA. I fell in love with the 1911's. I would like to return to shooting rifles. I am overwhelmed with all the new products available these days. I am really out of touch.

I had a 6mm 284 with a trued rem 700 action, shilen barrel and a Luepold vx 3 built a few years back. I also have a 300 win mag with similiar specs.

These guns have hunting style stocks on them and I would like to update them to more of a tactical stock, in addition to suitable optics.
I have been looking at the chassis systems but I don't know much about them. I have always been an old school epoxy bedding type guy. It seems like with a Mcree type chassis I get the DBM in addition to a stock that I don't need to bed. Am I correct is assuming this? No fitting required for the stock or the mag system.

I am also considering getting a couple Vortex PST scopes. I have never heard of these before but people seem to love them.

Re: Chassis question

Try to get behind a few stocks before you make your decision. There is allot of choices out there, try to get the one that fits you best. I personally like the AICS, but some don't like the thumb hole. Your other choice could be a Manners stock with a mini chassis in it. CLICK

And on the PST. I got the 4-16 ffp mil/mil and its a good solid scope for the money and Vortex warranty is top notch.

And to answer one of your questions, all you have to do is bolt it in and go. As long as you can turn a wrench you can do it yourself.

DSC00854.jpg

Thanks for the info and links. I assume the chassis are all aluminum exterior. I still take my 6mm out for a coyote hunting trip every now and then. Don't your hands freeze with the alum chassis? The manner mini looks like a good option also. I would love to get behind some of the stocks but that is tough here in the middle of Iowa. I don't really want the headache of bedding a traditional stock that is why I was looking into the chassis system.

I am not sure if I like the looks of the vented front handguard of the XLR. I like more of a traditional front.

If you haven't seen the KRG Whiskey 3 Tango chassis, that is very aesthetically pleasing to me.

Something more traditional while extremely effective is the AICS 1.5 or 2.0, I put one of those on my R700 SPS tactical and it works like a dream. I'm in Illinois, but if you ever find yourself around here you can try out the AICS.

Chassis really are the way to go, usually fully adjustable, DBM integrated, no bedding required, solid as a rock.

Edit* KRG's website seems to have a problem when you add the Whiskey 3 Tango chassis to your cart (at least the R700 SA one, it goes from 890 bucks to 9,999 lol!)

Carp: I think you would be MOST PLEASED with a Manners of your choosing with the mini-chassis installed.

Gives the look/feel of a traditional composite stock, with the performance and "bolt-in-ability" of a chassis.

The new-fangled chassis's tend to have a specific tacti-cool look about them. I'm not knocking it, but there again, I'm not a real big fan of them. Sounds like you aren't either.

It's damn hard to go wrong with a Manners product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carpdoctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure if I like the looks of the vented front handguard of the XLR. I like more of a traditional front. </div></div>

I too prefer the look of a traditional stock. I saw a chassis awhile back that mimicked the look of a traditional stock. I'll see if i can find a link for it. However, the advantages of the XLR were too numerous for me not to run it exclusively. I don't currently have their carbon chassis, but it comes with a less vented carbon fiber handgaurd that looks awesome. I'll probably run it next.

I ran Manners Mini Chassis and they are hands down the best blend of traditional "tactical" fiberglass precision rifle stocks and "bolt and go" chassis elements.

That said I have found the Rock Solid setup to be outstanding for precision rifle shooting in dynamic competition environments.

For my full input on them check this out:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...559#Post3368559

shrtc12003.jpg

I think the McRee's Precision is a "best value" and serious contender when you are looking at chassis stocks.

I looked at all the chassis stock systems that I could find and ended up buying a McRee's Precision chassis with folding option. No regrets here, it is a solid system and well worth the price of admission. In my opinion it is one of the better buys on the market. In addition to the reasonable purchase price, it also allows you to keep your scope down low where many chassis systems make you raise your scope to clear the fore end. I looked at the KRG and it looks nice, but the price on the stock, coupled with the price of the folder option seemed a little steep. The folder option on the McRee's is one heck of a bargain, and I can tell you the lock up is rock solid.

I also have a good story about how I just dropped my barreled action into my new McRee's stock, torqued down the action screws, and then went out and placed second in my first F-Class (open) 1,000 yard match. No range verification or zero check, I just used the dope that I used when the action was in my old McMillan A4 stock. But I won't bore you with those details here. Oh, did I mention that my first sighter shot was on paper at 1000 yards, and I only took a total of 5 sighter shots and then 20 shots for record/score? Bottom line...highly recommended...it gets the Shredder stamp of approval, which does does not get handed out easily or in great quantity!