• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Chassis vs scope

fvalmostthere

Private
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Bought a savage 12fv on black friday. Have been shooting it developing loads, in its original stock with my prostaff 5 on it. I plan on buying a chassis for it since it has the internal magazine system that does not work well for prs style shooting. I also plan to buy a ffp scope. I have enough saved right now for one or the other, which would you buy first?

Go chassis and shoot prs with a bdc sfp reticle to start.

Or

Go scope and practice with the reticle until i can get the chassis and go compete. I wont compete until i get the chassis, having to shoot 10 rnds under time with a 4+1 internal magazine doesnt sound like much fun...

I would get a scope.
You can practice with the new scope before competing. Hell, you can even compete still and just not worry about being competitive. You will never be competitive trying to hold up in space with the nikon once shots start getting out there a ways no matter how many you have in the mag. You cant miss fast enough.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
Get the scope and look up Dark Eagle Customs for a 10 round mag that fits the factory DBM.

How much money are you looking to spend on a scope and chassis? Separate budget for each, or a combined budget in mind?

What chassis systems have you been considering or have your eyes on? Any idea what scopes you think will fall in line with your budget?

Some more of this information would be helpful. You may be able to do both at the same time for less than you think. Or like another mentioned above, consider getting the chassis you want and also a budget friendly SWFA SS 10x or 3-15x.

get a good scope before a chassis, definitely.

but don't wait on doing matches. being a little handicapped on reloading won't kill you and the experience will help you.

I would also say scope first. Glass is too important and you need to become familiar with your scope and the reticle.

Sounds like scope is the general consensus. As for the budget questions im not super confined by a budget it is more or less time to save. I might have some explaining to do to the wife if i buy a razor gen 2 however haha. Im thinking mpa hybrid chassis and then some $1000 scope option ($1000 is what i have saved now). Toying between ares btr, pst gen 2, sig tango 4, ares etr or maybe saving longer for cronus btr or razor gen 2 (maybe if i save a lot of cabelas points haha)

Scope first, chassis 2nd is my .02 - can get some great deals on quality used optics here, FB, and other forums in order to shorten time to save. I wanted the Razor Gen 2 and with the no questions asked warranty buying used sight unseen was easy to justify. Might also consider same for stock / chassis.

Regarding the wife, just use the following strategy: Month 1, make an agreement to discuss all purchases > $500 dollars. Month 2.......all purchases are magically $499 and under!

Reactions: Deadshot260
1. get a quality scope

2. get a Tikka or other better action/barrel before dropping into a chassis

I'd get a better scope and spent my $$ on just shooting the Savage with the new scope and not worrying about a chassis unless you're abnormally tall or short.

Reactions: alfmoonspace
Scope . Don’t over capitalise a budget rifle , concentrate on improving your shooting
skills with what you have , and reap the benefits when you upgrade to a nicer rifle .
The ( quality ? ) optic can migrate to the new rifle , your current scope can go back
on the Savage as a trainer , backup rifle , whatever .

The only reason that I suggested chassis first is if you can get a decent budget scope as well. Shooting a gun with a factory stock can be really frustrating, you end up with a terrible cheekweld most of the time and the ergos in general are usually an issue. A good chassis will allow you to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship.

I’d sell the scope for $125, buy a used reliable SWFA for $225. Upgrade the chassis and get out and shoot. You can toss the SWFA on a 22 when you upgrade, it’s a blast shooting rimfire at 100-300 yards.

That being said if you do foresee yourself upgrading from the savage action in the future it might not be a terrible idea to grab a nice scope from the get go. It all depends on how much you could sell the savage chassis for at a later date (I’d suggest you buy a nice used one if that’s the case)

If the cheekweld is too far off for you, get the item linked below and use brand new sponges (dishwashing) to use as height spacers until you find your preferred cheekrest height

https://www.amazon.com/ACE-Black-El...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=black+ace+bandage&psc=1

SWFA's tax day sale is soon. Per "darklordofoptics" I'd get the 10x classic in MIL - around $225 for a good scope unless you jump on the GA Precision deal

Scope . Don’t over capitalise a budget rifle , concentrate on improving your shooting
skills with what you have , and reap the benefits when you upgrade to a nicer rifle .
The ( quality ? ) optic can migrate to the new rifle , your current scope can go back
on the Savage as a trainer , backup rifle , whatever .

^+1 Probably the most solid advice I've heard in a while

When I was in the same situation, I went optics first. I ran with the blind mag for several months before getting into a chassis with DBM. During that time, I learned a lot at local matches while still upgrading as I went.

Scope, you can't hit what you can't see.
It will also help to realize the potential of your current rig.
When ready upgrade to new rig and mount scope.

R

If you keep the factory stock on the Savage, a Triad Stock Pack is a great addition to provide an adjustable, easily removable comb/cheekpiece to provide a solid, comfortable cheek weld, plus it can hold ammo, dope cards, etc, and it looks a lot better than foam and tape. The "easily removable" part becomes important anytime you want to remove the bolt from the rifle.

I would definitely replace the scope before worrying about a chassis.

Unless you are dead set on the mpa there are a lot of cheaper options. Mpa is very feature rich but also more expensive. Xlr and mdt are a great value and both can be found used in the px for 500ish.

I say go with a better budget scope and get a chassis. You should be able to do both for 1000.

Sorry i just cant see a 1000 dallar scope on a 220 dollar rifle. I am a savage fan but the Tupperware stock has to go.

I agree the stock is going, had it narrowed down to mdt lss xl gen 2 vs mpa hybrid. Didnt look in the px but new the mdt was like 700 and the mpa was a little over 8. I liked the mpa features better so whats an extra hundred. I have what i want picked out for the most part just wondering which to buy first. Probably go scope and practice with the reticle etc and then when i get the chassis look into some prs matches. Arent too many matches close by up here in maine, a few in nh and mass but all those are 4+ hours from me.

Plus the scope can always change rifles if i upgrade, which is the reason i am considering saving longer to get a tier one optic from the start

Have you also considered getting a cheap conventional stock as an interim measure ?
I’m not familiar with the stock on the rifle you currently have , if it is really shitty , maybe
a Boyd’s , B & C or similar would be better . Shop around , and you might find something
for around a $100 .

I did look that route and after a boyds with bottom metal i would be about 300-400 and i would still have to bed the action. Since i really just want a chassis in the end im just going to save and go that route to begin with.

I do have more load testing to do. And then need to find a place around here to get out and get some credible dope. Probably by the time that happens i will have saved for both anyways haha

I would get a good scope first..one good enough to move to another rifle/action. Any money you put in to a Savage only upgrade, such as a chassis system will prove to be a waste of money. If you are on a budget a Ruger or preferably a Tikka would be the way to go. Ray

I agree the stock is going, had it narrowed down to mdt lss xl gen 2 vs mpa hybrid. Didnt look in the px but new the mdt was like 700 and the mpa was a little over 8. I liked the mpa features better so whats an extra hundred. I have what i want picked out for the most part just wondering which to buy first. Probably go scope and practice with the reticle etc and then when i get the chassis look into some prs matches. Arent too many matches close by up here in maine, a few in nh and mass but all those are 4+ hours from me.

Where in Maine, roughly?

I suggest buying a used chassis- the lowest price you can find which will suit your needs. Then buy a used scope- best you can get for the money you have left over. $1000 should get you where you need to be, to be able to enjoy matches, without getting too frustrated with equipment deficiencies.

You don't lose much on used, assuming if you choose to upgrade, you do so before the item is considerably surpassed in new product releases. This would allow you to get up and running, fully competition ready. You can upgrade to different rifles or scopes at a later date.

Scarborough has a 600 M range. Other than that you’ll have to find private land. When I lived in northern Maine I had access to property that allowed me to shoot almost 1,000 yards.

Last edited:
Yeah ive been to scarborough hopefully find a place around here i can shoot a little further