• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassis Vs Stock

AKayl

Private
Banned !
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2011
US
What is the difference between a chassis system and a stock? Is it just that a chassis utilizes a metal bed vs composite or wood?

Re: Chassis Vs Stock

Chassis:
-Metal (usually aluminum)
-No bedding necessary (though possible)
-"Unlimited" adjustability (LOP, cheek height, etc)
-Modularity (rails, swivels, grips, etc)
-Detachable mag ready

Conventional:
-Synthetic or wood
-Bedding necessary (for good accuracy anyway)
-Limited adjustability (depending on stock, this can vary)
-Limited modularity (more than just a bolt on job to change stuff around)
-Needs a separate bottom metal system to run detachable mags

BigNoise has hit the nail on the head. You'll pay for a chassis but they are nice. I own both stock and chassis and I have seen good and bad ones for both.

I agree about manners with the mini chassis. But have to say that I would take my chassis over any stock but if I had to choose a stock it would be a manners t5a with mini chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razor88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree about manners with the mini chassis. But have to say that I would take my chassis over any stock but if I had to choose a stock it would be a manners t5a with mini chassis.</div></div>

+1. My next build is getting another one !!!

I've been doing a bunch of reading on different chassis (chassi?) and stocks for my first long range rifle build, and it seems that the cost of a chassis vs. a good stock is a bit of a wash once you look at everything. The chassis gets you the detachable box magazine bottom metal (and often a magazine included), and does not require bedding. Add those two things to the base price of the stock you are considering, and then compare the cost. If you are after lop and cheek weld adjustability, the balance tips in the chassis favor. If you want a folding stock, I think (correct me if I'm wrong please), tge chassis is your only choice.

Chassis do run heavier, than what you can get in a stock, but the XLR is pretty close.

The wait time for many stocks ( I'm leaning towards a Manners mini-chassis now) us pretty far out, while a number of chassis systems are in stock and ready to run once you receive them.

Anyways, those are all of my thoughts and considerations.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jonathan H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been doing a bunch of reading on different chassis (chassi?) and stocks for my first long range rifle build, and it seems that the cost of a chassis vs. a good stock is a bit of a wash once you look at everything. The chassis gets you the detachable box magazine bottom metal (and often a magazine included), and does not require bedding. Add those two things to the base price of the stock you are considering, and then compare the cost. If you are after lop and cheek weld adjustability, the balance tips in the chassis favor. If you want a folding stock, I think (correct me if I'm wrong please), tge chassis is your only choice.

Chassis do run heavier, than what you can get in a stock, but the XLR is pretty close.

The wait time for many stocks ( I'm leaning towards a Manners mini-chassis now) us pretty far out, while a number of chassis systems are in stock and ready to run once you receive them.

Anyways, those are all of my thoughts and considerations. </div></div>

Great reply, thanks. I just priced out a manners with the options I would want and it came out to just over $1000 which would be more than the chassis (Whiskey 3) I want is anyways but are there any real performance differences between the two?

I can't speak to actual performance, I've never heald any of these chassis or high end stocks. I'm leaning towards the Whiskey-3 as well if I decide I can't wait for the Manners.

You may want to check out the STRIKE Series Chassis Systems that we have available for the 700 Long (Strike 33) 700 Short (Strike 30) and the McMillan TAC50 (Strike 50)

strike30.jpg

Please see our site for additional details on these systems
www.DRAKEASSOCIATES.us

Thanks

I have a t3 which limits my options to whiskey 3 xlr our one other one that I forget the name of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AKayl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a t3 which limits my options to whiskey 3 xlr our one other one that I forget the name of. </div></div>

I wouldn't really see that as a limitation. Those are two of the best quality for your dollar systems out there.

Josh

Not saying they are bad choices at all, just limited.

To me it boils down to ergonomics and features. I own rifles with stocks (e.g. Manners and McMillan) but am also a chassis fan. I've owned a McRee Precision chassis and like it a lot. After some time on the new AX rifles I have a huge admiration for those new chassis systems. The AICS is nice, but I am really digging the AX and we've built several rifles on them.

DSC_8740Large.jpg

Some actions may still benefit from skim bedding in a chassis but for the most part as already stated with a quality chassis you should be able to bolt the action in place and go.

Mark

So... if chassis provide a better fit and a more stabil platform than a regular stock is a well bedded glass action more solid than a nice aluminum chassis? I have seen actoins bedded in McMillan aluminum stocks with little rub marks where the action and the barrel had a little play.

Sure do.

What specifically do you want to see? Details are...

Pierce Engineering action with cone bolt face
X-Treme Shooting Products new single stage trigger
Custom suppressor made by Ron Allen
Rock Creek Sendero contour 22" finish barrel
Nightforce 3.5-15x50 Velocity 1000 reticle (only two of these have been made; commercially available in March or April)

DSC_8700Large.jpg

DSC_8757Large.jpg

DSC_8772Large.jpg

DSC_8633Large.jpg

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cuffm4615</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razor88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree about manners with the mini chassis. But have to say that I would take my chassis over any stock but if I had to choose a stock it would be a manners t5a with mini chassis.</div></div>

+1. My next build is getting another one !!! </div></div>

This.
I own several rifles in AICS but they aren't for everyone. I just completed a build using the Manners T5A with Mini Chassis. I would recommend this set up to anyone. It allows you to choose which stock is most comfortable to you and still have the chassis system too.