• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Chassissss expertissse

heideda

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Alabama, Auburn
As the title suggests, I am in need of some opinions. Preferably ones with direct first or second hand experience… let’s avoid the “My friends oldest brother worked for a guy that changed tires for the daughter of a guy who had one” type of experience. Thanks.

Contenders:
Magpul 700 Pro chassis (used $750)
Aero SOLUS chassis (new $785)

Barreled action:
He/him/his is a bone stock RH 700 SPS Varmint in 308. Planning a re-barrel and trigger upgrade later down the road when money is less of an issue.
I don’t shoot comp. (Wouldn’t be opposed one day), its main use is just to have fun at long distances with my pants on and if SeverHTF.
Oh yea..my dirty secret is that I shoot LH

THANKS in advance

Last edited:
Don't buy a chassis, get a Manners T6A or PRS1 with the mini chassis. I have a bunch of AI, XLR and MDT stuff and still prefer the Manners T6A.

Reactions: heideda
AI AT-X , MPA , MDT

Krg Bravo is great and cheap. And light
Thanks. Weight was a big concern with the MP 700 pro.

I want to be able to move with this thing if I have to and with that being said..I like the idea of a foldable stock but have zero experience with one.

I want to be able to move with this thing if I have to and with that being said..I like the idea of a foldable stock but have zero experience with one.
The folding stocks are cool but in reality how often do you really use it? Almost never.

I have a few KRG bravos. I like them.

Q Side Chick if you need a folder.

Don't buy a chassis, get a Manners T6A or PRS1 with the mini chassis. I have a bunch of AI, XLR and MDT stuff and still prefer the Manners T6A.

This is completely false. T5A is what you want. 👍

OP

I’m not an expert but writing my opinion anyway…. Sooo many great options today, don’t limit yourself, decide which features matter to you and let the numbers decide. Some great options are. MDT, AI, Cadex, KRG, MPA, XLR, Magpul, and the list goes on from there.

All objectivity aside and with pure fanboism I’ll tell you to get the AI or Cadex!

Good luck

Don't have any experience with the SOLUS chassis but can say the Magpul Pro is a good chassis especially if you shoot in cold weather. Irun an MDT LSS-XL Gen 2 on my varmint rifle. My buddy has the Magpul Pro. In 34 degree weather the MDT gets very cold and uncomfortable where the polymer skin/shell on the Magpul is nowhere near as bad. Even with a face mask, hood, and good gloves the cold metal starts to suck after a while. If Magpul ever releases the Pro Lite I will probably swap out my MDT chassis.

I would give you the advice of..go checkout a match or a local club and see if someone will let you try one locally.

I hate when people tell you that "XYZ BRAND SUCKS GET BRAND A INSTEAD". Stock/Chassis needs to fit, or have modular options to make it fit. Adjustable LOP, adjustable weight.. If you're using a bipod, are you setup for ARCA? Ive got a buddy thats obsessed with ARCA right now, and doesnt have a single rifle rail setup for it, or any ARCA gear period..no tripods no Bipods, but he reads dumb shit advice like this online and takes it as gospel.

There are a LOT of chassis systems out there right now. I have some stuff from MDT that I like, and other stuff from MDT that I dont like and will likely replace.

Ive seen MPA and they seem pretty nice. I might be picking one up next. I might pick up an MDT ACC instead. Just depends on how it will feel getting behind one. As far as moving around with it..think about realistically if you are going to do that or not. If you are, a sling and a way to run a sling mount will help. It will be a lot easier and quicker to slap on an MLOK sling mounting point into a chassis with MLOK slots than to bed a sling mount into fiberglass.

Beyond that, most guys buy these setups and end up using them as prone or bench guns if they dont compete, in which case, a heavier gun is better anyway.

I like the price point on both of the ones you've mentioned, Im keeping an eye on them as well. Just not seeing much on the Solus yet to make me take the risk. I AM however considering building a cheapish 308 setup.

You should add the MDT Oryx to your list. As far as cheap to check out(mid weight ish) chassis systems go, you wont get a folding stock, but you'll get a very capable chassis system, and it will be about half the price of the other options if you hunt for a deal.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone! Trying to get into some clubs and go to some comps near me this year to actually get behind some of these chassis and watch them in action.

For now..I found a used Mirage ULR chassis for a great deal. Going to try it out for a while. If I’m not digging it for my application you all will see it up for sale.

Reactions: AleksanderSuave
I know you got one already but may as well chime in as well as I’ve owned a fair amount.

For cheap the krg bravo is hard to beat. Also owned the X-ray as well

MDT ESS for a chassis is my favorite. With the Cadex field being decent as well

XLR element and evolution are great for bargain lighter weight options.

The MPA is one I want to try on my B14R next.

MDT ACC and MPA will be top contenders but for $$

AI like the AT and AX chassis fit me very well but mine are AI platforms not just chassis

Wish that AT-X had an adjustable mag catch.

Did someone say chassis ?

Honestly, pick your poison. Each company produces chassis for what they think their clients will buy, and they do it well. MDT make great stuff, the Xylo by ARC is cool, magpul make a fantastic budget brand, MPA are rock stars, KRG do from low end to eye watering top end C4, don't forget XLR as I've built a few on those.

I make my own chassis which fits me.. designed by others for a specific purpose.

Find what you like the look of and can afford, just roll with it.

IF you can finger fondle some guns at a range, DO IT. I love manners, but my body ergo just do not work with them. Had several, sold them all. I fit into McMillan like a glove. Go figure.

Attachments

• IMG20230316102113_compress90.jpg
    IMG20230316102113_compress90.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 65
Look, everyone can throw shit out but at the end of the day, it comes down to what you like. The only way to figure that out is get time behind a bunch of them. And unfortunately this involves lots of shooting in different positions to really figure out. Most people just buy and sell until they find what they like. The truth is, you can make just about any quality chassis or stock work. Its the software not the hardware. However there are things you may like more or less with others. There are dozens of options out there so anyone just throwing something is not doing you a favor.

With that being said, if I was me, I would start with a KRG Bravo. Why? First its cheap as hell. It has a ton of options and accessories to add to it and the only thing it really needs is a Arca rail. Its shaped like a traditional stock but its a chassis. Its a good jumping off point. It has everything you need in a chassis/stock that needs to be there.

No one shoots that magpul shit or areo. What you will see is MPA, MDT, Foundation, XLR, Manners, KRG, JAE (MDT now), AI, ARC, Spuhr, Cadex and a few other lesser known ones. Within each brand there are 1-20 different models. You may hate the Manners T2 but love the TCS, Same with the BA/Matrix or a Foundation Centuron vs revelation. I would reccomend staying away from anything that needs bedding or gunsmith work (Mostly McMillan). Its a waste of time and money. If it ever gets to the point you think you need bedding, all this will be trivial.

I would get the Bravo as a good cheap base so you can get out shooting and see what you like. If/when you decide to part ways, you wont loose any money or just keep it for a cheap backup/drop a .22 barreled action into it,ect/

Just as an example over the last 20 years I have gone from HS Precision to McMillian to KRG to AI to Manners to MDT back to Manners and my current love is Foundation. Chassis are like pussies, you need to stick your dick in a bunch to figure out which feels the best. Or is that assholes? your choice?

The folding stocks are cool but in reality how often do you really use it? Almost never.
I did once, when the Suburban was broke down and I wanted to go shooting so I drove the Miata. With my RPR,folded, it fit perfectly behind the seat. That allowed plenty of room for the MPA in the front, passenger seat. Our ice chest fit in the trunk, with ammo, shooting bags and other items stuck in and around the ice chest. It was tight, but everything fit just fine.

Now reality. Many chassis interfere with or just plain won’t allow you to use a cleaning rod to clean from the breach end without a folding stock. The RPR won’t even let you remove the bolt without folding.

Oh, as far as chassis, I like the MPA BA. Got a folder option. Not cheap and the bridge is not full length, but talk to Phil and he might can help. Like some other fellows have said, I’m not the least bit Biased :)

5DCD15F3-6433-4BF8-9893-F71DB1CBBD75.jpeg

Last edited:
I did once, when the Suburban was broke down and I wanted to go shooting so I drove the Miata. With my RPR,folded, it fit perfectly behind the seat. That allowed plenty of room for the MPA in the front, passenger seat. Our ice chest fit in the trunk, with ammo, shooting bags and other items stuck in and around the ice chest. It was tight, but everything fit just fine.

Now reality. Many chassis interfere with or just plain won’t allow you to use a cleaning rod to clean from the breach end without a folding stock. The RPR won’t even let you remove the bolt without folding.

Oh, as far as chassis, I like the MPA BA. Got a folder option. Not cheap and the bridge is not full length, but talk to Phil and he might can help. Like some other fellows have said, I’m not the least bit Biased :)

View attachment 8098466
All of my chassis' fold but rarely ever get folded. I remove the cheek piece to clean my rifles. About the only time I fold the chassis is to put the ELR rifles in a case because not many people make cases for rifles that are 5 feet long.

IMG_1492 (2).JPG

IMG_1238 (2).JPG

IMG_1491 (2).JPG

Reactions: AleksanderSuave