• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Cheap ammo????

Jacklulu

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2011
Eastern Long Island
Can I shoot cheap ammo from
Russia,Yugoslavia ect.
For example :
Sportsman guide??
Do not want to screwup my new LMT
But black hills are expensive
John

Re: Cheap ammo????

Yes you can. I shoot anything I can grab my hands on for plinking and general range work. I've yet to chew up my rifles. Just make sure you give your rifle a good cleaning afterwards. They tend to be extra dirty in my experience. As they say, YMMV.

I look at it like this: if you went out and bought a brand new Corvette Z06, would you run Pennzoil or generic, lawn mower grade oil through it? If you wouldn't, why would you want to run shitty ammo through your premium rifle?

Sure, the oil will run in the Vette and the shitty ammo will run through your rifle but over time you'll see a decrease in performance and your rifle will get much dirtier than it would if you were to use better quality ammo. In terms of accuracy, you can expect the same accuracy at 100yds as you would see at 50yds with a slingshot.

If you're wanting cheap, plinking ammo the PMC Bronze 147gr can be had for about $12/box for 7.62 and for match ammo you can get the FGMM 175gr for $18.99/box from Palmetto State Armory.

Ok killshot,
I hear you
But I do not always run Cam2 in my m5
Around town I must admit that it gets regular now and then.

+1 on Killshots comments ...

Don't put 85 octane in your Ferrari

I don't always run match grade ammo through my rifles but at the same time I don't ever run corrosive, steel cased junk either. The cheapest I'll go is BVAC reloaded bulk. With 1-11 twist I still get right around 1 moa and requires similar cleaning compared to match grade ammo. I say shoot what you want, its your rifle, the barrel will shoot out regardless of what you shoot so replace the barrel. The extractor will wear out (quicker with steel probably), so replace it. Its a rifle, not a $75K Vette let alone $300K exotic - shoot it, have fun, get a buck with it, whatever your fancy may be and then repair/replace and repeat!

I agree with Killshot; I put premium and synthetic in the Z06 and the wifes car, well, it gets premium and... not a good example. The Jeep gets regular unleaded and whatever oil I have on hand.

My AIAW gets Federal GMM and my plinker gets russian ammo. It pains me to put shitty ammo down a premium bore so I just wont do it.

Now would PRVI "match" ammo be put under the crap category or the ok category? I would definitely not put Wolf or russian stuff through.

PMC Bronze is good reasonably priced ammo. Suggest that yo consider reloading, it won't save you money, but you can shoot more.

Well,

You gun is not a car and your not using oil in it. What's different about surplus ammo that makes it so much different than match grade ammo.

They both have brass cases.

They both use smokeless powder.

They both use copper jacketed lead core bullets.

They both use non corrosive primers.

Sure, you can buy corrosive primed ammo .... but why. If I were in a match, or actually employed as a sniper/LE sharpshooter. Sure, I would use the best. But, if I am in a local gravel pit and shooting old dive tanks or steel targets from 200-300 yards. Why would I waste match grade ammo? I'd shoot the cheapest FMJ I could find. There are times when match grade ammo is the best to use. But there are also times when it's just a waste of money.

As long as you are not using corrosive primers, then cheap bullets aren't going to do anything to your rifle that cleaning won't fix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Olivers_AR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PMC Bronze is good reasonably priced ammo. Suggest that yo consider reloading, it won't save you money, but you can shoot more. </div></div>
Reloading saves me money, unless talking about start-up cost for a new reloader.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well,

You gun is not a car and your not using oil in it. What's different about surplus ammo that makes it so much different than match grade ammo.

They both have brass cases.

They both use smokeless powder.

They both use copper jacketed lead core bullets.

They both use non corrosive primers.

Sure, you can buy corrosive primed ammo .... but why. If I were in a match, or actually employed as a sniper/LE sharpshooter. Sure, I would use the best. But, if I am in a local gravel pit and shooting old dive tanks or steel targets from 200-300 yards. Why would I waste match grade ammo? I'd shoot the cheapest FMJ I could find. There are times when match grade ammo is the best to use. But there are also times when it's just a waste of money.

As long as you are not using corrosive primers, then cheap bullets aren't going to do anything to your rifle that cleaning won't fix. </div></div>

Your post is a like Toyota Camry. It makes alot of sense and was pretty comfortable ride.

Come on we need more car analogies that are not analogous to anything.

(BTW - good post)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RuLins05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't always run match grade ammo through my rifles but at the same time I don't ever run corrosive, steel cased junk either. </div></div>

Oh please, not all steel cased corrosive ammo is "junk". Some is, but a lot of it is not. It does just what it is intended to. Corrosive ammo isn't bad, unless your in a humid enviroment and/or don't plan on cleaning your rifle soon. For the range and plinking, it just adds another step to cleaning. Worth the savings.

What caliber are we talking about? Yugoslavia isn't a country anymore, and the only Yugo surplus I know of is 7.62x39 and 8x57.

If were talking Prvi for .308 or .223(you did mention LMT), I'd go with that for resonably priced ammo, its around $12 a box and is 1 MOA ammo. I wouldn't call it crap by any means, it's cheap, brass cased, non-corrosive, and boxer primed.

I'd personally run steel cased through an AR. Not trying to start a debate, but what harm is it really going to do? Modern steel cased ammo from Russia is non-corrosive, and the steel isn't hard. You may get some build up in your chamber, but cleaning more often is worth the savings. Sure it won't be as accurate, but when your not shooting for tiny groups, why does it matter?

Well to each his own, But until a couple of years ago I would never shoot steel cased ammo in my ARs, Just my AKs. Then My uncle who is a Vietniam Vet (Marines) got himself a AR. I call him up to go shooting and he shows up with a case of Wolf 5.56.

I kind of tell him that I wouldn't shoot that crap if it where me.
He asks "why? is it not the correct ammo for the gun?".
I say "yes but.........." he listens for about 30sec. and then says.
Look if I have a gun that WILL NOT shoot ANYTHING I feed it (correct size of course) that gun it for sale NOW.

Now I love my uncle and look up to him. I am very proud of him. The look he had in his eye when he told me this I had only seen a couple times before. It was his DEAD serious, I've been there and I ain't shitting you look.

Since then I have put about 500rds of wolf through each AR i own(6). With one Rockriver that would be considered my "truck" gun or "bitch" gun running Wolf exclusively. After 3000 rounds of Wolf in the Rockriver there have been 2 misfires and that is it. Extractor is fine. Now After thinking about it, isn't the bolt and all it's parts made of high grade "tool" steel? Well the Wolf cases are NOT, they are very soft. So for me it is a NON-issue.

It is accurate enough to hit a torso size and shaped piece of steel at 350yds no problem.

I do buy the Good stuff when I need it.

thanks guys
the info here is great
But after being sick a few years ago (Ok today and we test often)
I Drive
Shoot
Run
Wear
and ENJOY
every toy i have
not taking any of them with me so i use the Shit out of them
This LMt 5.56 CBQMWS is a very nice gun
but to only shot it at the range and allow my (14yr old) son and his friends to learn how to safely use this weapon system and have fun, I will stay at the middle of the road
I have just order 1000 rounds of Black hills as well :)
thanks john
by the way i will allow my son to learn to drive in my Truck as well as my M5
GO GIANTS

i use wolf ammo to TEST weapons !if it fails to work this ammo ,its foot back to the shop !

I disagree with the Z06 comparison. AR's are 4x4's and should be able to go anywhere and do anything. Z06 equivalent is a bolt action benchrest rifle. LMT should eat anything you feed it and ask for more. For accuracy of course you need accurate ammo, but for general plinking any ammo will work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I look at it like this: if you went out and bought a brand new Corvette Z06, would you run Pennzoil or generic, lawn mower grade oil through it? If you wouldn't, why would you want to run shitty ammo through your premium rifle?

Sure, the oil will run in the Vette and the shitty ammo will run through your rifle but over time you'll see a decrease in performance and your rifle will get much dirtier than it would if you were to use better quality ammo. In terms of accuracy, you can expect the same accuracy at 100yds as you would see at 50yds with a slingshot.

If you're wanting cheap, plinking ammo the PMC Bronze 147gr can be had for about $12/box for 7.62 and for match ammo you can get the FGMM 175gr for $18.99/box from Palmetto State Armory.
</div></div>

Actually corvette wants me to put crappy mobile 1 in my z06 instead of the much better platinum pennzoil and the mobile 1 hasn't hurt it so far.

I might be careful about foreign ammo but you can usually google search an ammo mfr and find a wealth of info about its quality. A lot of times the higher priced stuff is just that, higher priced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wlwaldock</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I look at it like this: if you went out and bought a brand new Corvette Z06, would you run Pennzoil or generic, lawn mower grade oil through it? If you wouldn't, why would you want to run shitty ammo through your premium rifle?

</div></div>

Actually corvette wants me to put crappy mobile 1 in my z06 instead of the much better platinum pennzoil and the mobile 1 hasn't hurt it so far.

I might be careful about foreign ammo but you can usually google search an ammo mfr and find a wealth of info about its quality. <span style="font-weight: bold">A lot of times the higher priced stuff is just that, higher priced.</span>

</div></div>

Keep telling yourself that because I'm sure you're the only one who believes it. You go ahead and buy the Prvi Partizan 175gr match and I'll buy the FGMM, Hornady, or Black Hills ammo and let's see which does better.

After all, there's no difference other than the price between premium and foreign made crap ammo. The same can be said of Pennzoil vs Mobil 1 but hey, every mechanic I've ever spoken with must be wrong, considering they won't use Pennzoil in any vehicle they own. You can learn that lesson on your own, the hard way, while you drive your Pennzoil filled Z06 to the range to shoot your Prvi Partizan 175gr match ammo.

mccain_eyebrows.gif

A firearm isn't a car, they are not comparable.

Steel case, surplus, whatever isn't going to ruin your gun, and it isn't going to harm anything given you clean it correctly. It may not be as accurate, but if you aren't shooting long range or for tiny groups, it doesn't matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerMeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A firearm isn't a car, they are not comparable.

Steel case, surplus, whatever isn't going to ruin your gun, and it isn't going to harm anything given you clean it correctly. It may not be as accurate, but if you aren't shooting long range or for tiny groups, it doesn't matter.

</div></div>

I won't run shitty oil through my vehicles just like I won't run shitty ammo through my rifle. I take care of my shit better than that. That was the analogy and for those with half a brain, it makes sense.

If you guys want to run Wolf or Bear shit through your middle-of-the-road rifle, knock yourself out. As for me, I refuse to run that shit through a rifle that I've paid in excess of $3,000 for. Will the rifle run it with no problems? Sure, but I've found it runs much better and cleaner with ammo that isn't sub-par.

To each their own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DerMeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A firearm isn't a car, they are not comparable.

</div></div>

I won't run shitty oil through my vehicles just like I won't run shitty ammo through my rifle. I take care of my shit better than that. That was the analogy and for those with half a brain, it makes sense.

If you guys want to run Wolf or Bear shit through your middle-of-the-road rifle, knock yourself out. As for me, I refuse to run that shit through a rifle that I've paid in excess of $3,000 for. Will the rifle run it with no problems? Sure, but I've found it runs much better and cleaner with ammo that isn't sub-par.

To each their own. </div></div>

You may refuse to accept it but AR's are not the same as Corvette's. All the car analogies are dumb as they only muddy the water. Instead of analogies lets talk about what we are really talking about.

AR's and the potential of damage from lower grade ammo. Unless the ammo is out of spec there will be none. Yes you will not get the accuracy as top end stuff but sometimes you don't need that accuracy. Yes Steel cased ammo has the potential to get the rifle really dirty and in some cases you may get a stuck case. There is no damage from this. Yes you may have used some of the barrel's or other parts life but no more than running brass cased (arguably steel can wear extractors faster, but savings from steel can pay for a new extractor).

If you want to discuss "are you getting the most out of your AR by running lower grade ammo," then lets discuss that. Answer = no. However you don't always need .5 MOA accuracy potential. Lastly, if running cheaper ammo gets you to shoot more, run cheaper ammo.

Thanks guys
I was told from the beginning of this AR journey that I did not need to make the choices I was looking at:
LMT = Battle rifle / no need to punch paper
Do not need SS barrel
Or Trijicon glass
So ordered the black hills
And will follow Killshots advice
Thanks, John

I find this humorous,

1. My '92 bonneville just turned over 330,000 miles last week. Penzoil 10w30 since the first oil change at 500 miles. Still no leaks, burns 1/4 quart per 4,000 miles. Would it magically run better had it been fed w/ mobile1 this whole time? Who cares? I figure the extra $1402.50 (est) over it's 83 documented oil changes for the cost of full synthetic is worth more than the car by now... That $1400 is going toward the next car, which will also get penzoil. I AM a licensed mechanic, among other things.

2. Where did this paranoia come from w/ steel cased ammo? Corrosive= bad, non-corrosive=good. Wolf cases are damn near as soft as remington brass. Is your chamber going to wear more w/ steel casings? Prolly a little, dont roll your ammo in sand.

3. How much does a new bolt and extractor cost? $80?
Barrel? $500?
5,000 rnds black hills ammo: approx $3,000
5,000 rnds wolf: approx $1200
Kinda pays for the barrel evil steel cases destroy

4. How much money can you pay for shooting?
If you've got the money to run a rifle until it wears out shooting black hills/federal...etc DO IT! It is far superior in accuracy and consistency!
What if you dont have that kind of funding? Is it better to have a rifle that sits in a safe this weekend because you cant afford the "good" ammo?

I have A LOT of black hills and southwest ammo, its awesome! If Im shooting small things a ways away, its the SHIT!
When Im running and gunning 300 yards and in @ torsos/steel, theres no reason for me to run expensive ammo. When Im firing hammered pairs, I can double tap for 40 cents w/ wolf or $1.20 w/ black hills.

I dont own a corvette, never will, but just because some people don't golf your course doesnt make them fools.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I find this humorous,

1. My '92 bonneville just turned over 330,000 miles last week. Penzoil 10w30 since the first oil change at 500 miles. Still no leaks, burns 1/4 quart per 4,000 miles. Would it magically run better had it been fed w/ mobile1 this whole time? Who cares? I figure the extra $1402.50 (est) over it's 83 documented oil changes for the cost of full synthetic is worth more than the car by now... That $1400 is going toward the next car, which will also get penzoil. I AM a licensed mechanic, among other things.

2. Where did this paranoia come from w/ steel cased ammo? Corrosive= bad, non-corrosive=good. Wolf cases are damn near as soft as remington brass. Is your chamber going to wear more w/ steel casings? Prolly a little, dont roll your ammo in sand.

3. How much does a new bolt and extractor cost? $80?
Barrel? $500?
5,000 rnds black hills ammo: approx $3,000
5,000 rnds wolf: approx $1200
Kinda pays for the barrel evil steel cases destroy

4. How much money can you pay for shooting?
If you've got the money to run a rifle until it wears out shooting black hills/federal...etc DO IT! It is far superior in accuracy and consistency!
What if you dont have that kind of funding? Is it better to have a rifle that sits in a safe this weekend because you cant afford the "good" ammo?

I have A LOT of black hills and southwest ammo, its awesome! If Im shooting small things a ways away, its the SHIT!
When Im running and gunning 300 yards and in @ torsos/steel, theres no reason for me to run expensive ammo. When Im firing hammered pairs,<span style="color: #FF0000"> I can double tap for 40 cents w/ wolf or $1.20 </span>w/ black hills.

I dont own a corvette, never will, but just because some people don't golf your course doesnt make them fools. </div></div>

when the hell did wolf become .40 cents per round?

Double tap would mean two shots kenndapp. 40/2 is .20cents a round
smile.gif
I mainly shoot steel case wolf military classic through my BCM midlength upper. Ive gonr through arund 3k rounds with 1 failure to eject. Im glad my gun can run these steel case ammo while other peoples gun cannot. I can shoot twice the amount by using steel case than shooting with black hills or FGMM. Training regularly to me is more important than shooting with good ammo.

the hornady training has a steel case. same as wolf. have shot some and I would swear it is repacked wolf but Horandy says otherwise.

Just bought some wolf, 20cents a round.