• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap Bino’s

300zx_tt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2021
South East Pennsylvania
Hey all, I’m trying to help out my Mother and Father, They’re looking for a halfway decent set of binoculars for looking at stars on an up coming trip. I’m sure the old timer will use them to check out around his property here and there and for checking out boats when he hits the beach. Nothing special needed for them.

I have no idea what to look for, I picked up a pair of vortex diamondback binos a while ago at a garage sale for $25 bucks that I’d give them to use. Unfortunately I lent them to a “buddy” who hasn’t returned them yet.

My Mother read an article online that recommends at least a 10x50, not sure if that’s the best for looking at stars or not? They want to spend under $250 bucks, I know most guys on here don’t think that gets anything worth buying, but I’m sure if they get halfway decent glass and low light performance, they’ll be happy.
Any recommendations would be awesome!

I have a pair of vortex diamond back HD 8x32 and they've quite nice for the money. My mom picked up a pair of 10x42 I think and has been happy with them. I use mine mostly for loaners so they get knocked around and have held up fine. Focus knob is smooth and glass is surprisingly good for the price.

Definitely not going to be confused with Swarovski, Leuca, Kowa but functional and good bang for the buck. My mom's in good shape but is in her 70s now and I strongly recommended lighter weight binos. She was originally looking at models weighing 2lbs+. If I remember right mine are 16oz and hers are 21oz.

I bought the in-laws some Nikon Monarch 3 10x42. If you can still find some in stock, they are pretty nice for 100 bucks marked down.

Last edited:
Sounds like this is for general use and for non-technical consumers, right? So it’s probable gotta be light, small, and inexpensive.

My brother has an older version of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HYBEGTS/ref=psdcmw_297842_t2_B00SKO44XC

Pretty nice for having an inexpensive/light/small bino banging around in a coat pocket while out for a walk. They make 8x and a super close focus model too (latter for butterfly’s or birds right outside your window).

Pentax lineup, across the board, is underrated in the US.

edit: their close focus model is the Papilio II in 6.5x or 8.5x (papilio is Latin for butterfly). They get rave reviews. Not sure about waterproofness. More info

Last edited:
Reactions: hankpac
Athlon Ares 8x42 Binocular
  • ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
  • XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
  • BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
  • Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
  • Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protect the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
  • Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability

Reactions: hankpac
All good recommendations above. You can keep it reasonable, and still get a good enough set for them. I recommend 2 sets.
10 is about maximum for any use, as hand shaking is an issue. there are some proper stances (elbows against the chest/belly) to steady them, and of course elbows on table. But stay at 8 or 10x max. don't go with zooms, as cheap ones are just that.
50 means a larger objective lens (lens closest to the target), which improves light gathering. But becoming more and more poular are the 48 or 3v3n 45 mm Which is a combination of compact (sorta) and big enough to do some good). Look at the size of hte Exit pupil, since a larger one is easier to find for novices. also fast focus or multiple turns onthe focus ring. that also is easier or hardeer to use. Look at the eye cups: fold over (which wear out or don't really work, depending on houw cheap-ass they are) and twist down. That is for people who wear glasses. roll them down if wearing specs, and roll them up to cup your eye and block side light coming in, with glasses off.
Pick through several types before you do it. ALL of these mentioned by others, above are within the class. I have a set of Nikon in that price group ( a little heavy) and a set of leupolds, (Love em, pre-chinese glass), some Bruntons my wife won at a NRA function (love em), and some Bushnells, which are really funky, with the zig-zag(roof prism) shape that was state of the art (so to speak) in the 80's.
NOw for really cheap, I buy stacks of 6-12 ollar micro compact binos, and pass them out to the grandkids, and to some of my recon buddies to put in a shirt pocket for quick and dirty viewing at close range. Nothing spectacular, yet good enough to actually learn something (in the case of the kids) and for field use. Cheap enough no one is broken hearted if it breaks or gets dunked. I restock annually. There is also a teaching process for those who have trouble chasing that bubble in a black field, that novices complain of.
Nice of you to think of your friends, and to want to help them.
BTW, I don't have a pair of Zwar-etc becuae it WOULD break my heart to have them stolen, or dropped.
PS: Vortex will give Vets 40% off. It is a direct sale.
1631898020995.png

Unpopular opinion here: if your folks are not optic addicts, meaning they haven't been a regular user of German/Japanese made optics. I would save my money and buy from Amazon. For sub $250 and 10 times magnification there isn't anything out there that's not made in China, even the models from Vortex or Leupold are made in China.

What I have noticed is that those OEM factories in China could produce a descant pair of binoculars for very little cost, as long as you stick with popular sizes, 10x42 is one of them. I love and use Vortex optics but I don't think it's ok to spend over 200 dollars on a pair of Diamondback 10x42 made in China when you can find the same thing for less than 40 dollars without the branding (just search 10x42 binoculars on amazon). Yes you get the legendary warranty from Vortex but at this point you are really buying a warranty instead of a product.

To look at stars I would heavily recommend to bring a tripod and binocular mount along.

My Mother read an article online that recommends at least a 10x50, not sure if that’s the best for looking at stars or not? They want to spend under $250 bucks, I know most guys on here don’t think that gets anything worth buying, but I’m sure if they get halfway decent glass and low light performance, they’ll be happy.
Any recommendations would be awesome!
My experience tends to confirm the recommendation for 10x50 porro prism binos. About 35 years ago, I bought an inexpensive pair for @ $70.00. They worked surprisingly well for astronomy. I could make out Jupiter's larger moons, some colorful nebula, the Andromeda Galaxy and other objects in the night sky. I may have gotten lucky with their quality, but a pair of 50mm objective lenses can gather a lot of light, and that provides a distinct advantage at night.

Forgot to add a specific recommendation - the Orion Ultraview 10x50 Wide-Angle binos (model 09351) get good reviews in their price category. They have fully multi-coated optics, are rubber coated for a more secure grip and have 22mm eye relief so they're good for people who wear glasses. They go for $140.00 - $150.00 at most internet retailers.

Last edited: