• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheap, cheap truck rifle

sherlok

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2004
East Texas
www.oldhomes4sale.com
Well I said I would never own anything again that was not in my standard calibers of .308 or .223. But when Academy Sports offered new Stevens Model 200s in 7mm08 for $199.00 the other day, I plunked down the cash without a 2nd thought. These things are Plain Jane Savages with ugly, but serviceable plastic stocks.

When home the following was done:
1. Trigger adjusted to about 4 lbs. (Just remove the stock and turn the trigger screw.) It breaks pretty clean too.
2. Stock rasp filed some to insure no contact with the barrel.
3. Barrel lapped a bit using various grades of compound.
4. An inexpensive mil-dot scope I had was mounted and bore sighted.

I put together some loads using 7.62 LC brass reformed by just running them through the 7mm08 sizer die (I know they are about 20 thousands short) and took to the range. I used Speer's 130 grain BTSP because it seemed to be the lightest recommended for hunting deer sized game. The rifle w/scope weighs only about 7.5 pounds so I wanted to control recoil. I seated them out to where the bolt would close without force.

Best loads printed about .7 at 100 yards using starting loads of 4064 and spacing shots to keep the skinny barrel cool. Although my scope does not have external knobs, if sighted in at 200 yards (on paper at least) the incremental mil-dot hold-overs should be very close to 300, 400 and 500 yards. I need to do a little more range work.

I am amazed to say the least that one can put together such an accurate combination on a small budget. I'm impressed with Savage. It now rides behind the seat of my truck.

Sherlok

Re: Cheap, cheap truck rifle

Tell me more about this barrel lapping

Eddybo, what I did was not lapping in the true sense where you use a lead lap with compound, but rather I used tight fitting cloth patches. I started with 320 grit and went higher (I only have about 3 different grits) and finished with JB paste. Run it back and forth several times, flush with Hoppes and go to the next grit. I try not to let the patches pop out the end of the barrel. It seems to help cut down the copper fouling.

Merrit, that's truly a nice job on that stock. I think though that I'll leave mine well enough alone. I have a tendency to make things worse sometimes.

Take care, Sherlok

The 130 grain speer SPBT are extremely accurate deer slayers.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the 7mm and the barrel nut.
Try some H4350, it is an exceptional performer in the .243, 7-08 and 7x57.

try some rl 17 it is a more exceptional performer in 243 260 308 etc etc.