• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Cheap/Improvised Gear- what have you found?

LawDog101

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2010
This is not really a tactical thread. More of a backpacking hiking woods thread.

I have several items that I would like to share and I hope you guys may want to add to the list of gear that is:

1. Cheap- I mean scary cheap
2. May not be used for intended purpose
3. Works well in the field

Some that I have found (I will update with pics later). Mine has a bit of WalMart slant.

1. Stainless kitchen utensil holder from WalMart. About 8" tall and about 4" wide. Have used as a backpacking pot for some time. Works great and holds plenty of water for cooking. A Katydyn Vario water purifier fits perfectly in the middle of it. Price $4

2. Wool gloves also from WalMart. Not for wet weather but work awesome in the cold. Have the flap that covers the fingers and thumb and is easy to remove. Been wearing for several seasons and they work awesome in the cold, down to 15 degrees. On sale three seasons ago $4

3. Pencil bag. Found at Office depot for $1. Looked pretty sturdy. A bit of a "tactical" paint job and now I have a small slender pouch for little items in my pack. Holds two pill bottles, extra bootlace, etc. Been using for the last 5 years and still holding up well.

All I could think of so far. I hope all of you have some items to throw into the mix. I love really high end gear and backpacking items, but sometimes a little find from WalMart or some other bargain store really works well.

LD

Re: Cheap/Improvised Gear- what have you found?

A roll of 3M electrical tape....priceless.

Yard sales. One man's trash is another man's treasure, and you can really get a bargain when haggling with the wife so get out early while the husband is still in bed or out fishing/hunting. They're especially good around military bases for the mil-style gear that guys always seem to have extra of and isn't on the books.

As for the cheap but do-all stuff I always have, a canteen wrapped in riggers (duct) tape and a healthy supply of daisy-chained 550 cord. They're worth their weight in gold when you really need them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A roll of 3M electrical tape....priceless. </div></div>
+100000000000

Puppy bed for bench rest. $6-10 at walmart. No more bloody elbows, and doubles as a rear bag. Mesh hamper for brass catcher, folds up for storage and keeps your brass in one place. $3 at walgreens.

Not sure if this is what you're asking about but dryer lint works great for a fire starter and you can cram a ton of that crap in a plastic bag, push the air out and it's light. + 1 on the yard sales and craigslist. My wife gets PISSED at some of the stuff I bring home until I turn it into something cool and usefull. It's amazing what you can do with some basic tools, a welder and some imaginiation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A roll of 3M electrical tape....priceless. </div></div>

I prefer Gorilla Tape but the principle is the same, so +1!

I also do the riggers tape around canteens and the should straps of my chestrig. On my boonie I have daisychained 550 cord going through the webbing equal to about 30 ft of cord. On the in side of my boonie I have luminous tape shoe gooed to the top for a night time range/route card. On the inside walls of the boonie I shoe gooed air panel strips for a signaling device. And a bottle of shoe goo in the ruck haha.

I Liter Saline bottles. They make good canteen, and can double as a nightime, in-the-sleeping bag emergency urinal. Being old and subject to the ravages of cardiac-prescribed diuretics, this is a very real need.

I just dump and rinse mine in the morning. I also carry some laundry bleach in a small used snap-cap mustard bottle. A drop or two in the saline bottle after the rinse will help with sanitation, and can keep urine from going rancid immediately.

Greg

At surplus stores you can get Arctic Canteens pretty reasonable.

They keep your coffee hot, (or tea cold). W/Cup its about all I carry when hiking as far as cooking. I carry istant coffee and oatmeal which I cook up in my canteen cup. Re-fill the canteen, then cook my oakmeal.

You can carry a lot of instant oak meal packages, coffee, and tea without adding much weigh. The arctic canteen will keep your coffee hot between meal stops.

When I say instant coffee, it use to be just that, but now I use the coffee that comes in bags like tea bags. Lot easier to carry, lighter and I think taste better.

Super Light. You can go a long ways with nothing more.

I believe in super light, I've made a 100 mile cross country ski trip with a pack that weighed not more then 20 lbs.

cotton balls saturated with vaseline work great as fire starters

the duct tape and 550 cord is a must

cheap tarp at harbor freight works great for a tarp tent

I use an altoids tin to hold a small fishing kit in my pack

Ive made nice hobo stoves out of coffee cans or pop cans that are extremely light

I made a rattle free ammo carrier kind of a bandolier out duct tape and staples, for my .38 rounds. It has held up great in tough conditions and can be used for spare tape if needed. Ill try to post pics if you guys want.

Target backer made from old ceiling tiles and rebar.

Drive two sections of rebar around 16" long about 6" into the ground at the target location. They should be vertical, about 1" apart, and one directly behind the other as seen from the firing line.

Hold the ceiling tile long edge down, and slide it down into place between the rebars, facing the firing line squarely. positioned so the rebars don't block any of the targets that are stapled to the tile's face.

When done, lift out the tile, pull out the rebars, and store everything properly.

Greg

Mover's blanket/pad folded double for use as a range shooting mat. They are even available in Camo for the more discerning buyer.

made a biathlon sling of old alice suspenders and walmart quik release buckled inch webbing. used an old plugger pouch 550'd to a buttstock for a lrf stockpack on same biathloned rifle. used kiddy "water grenade" balloons to keep mud and snow out me bore on hunts (electric tape or condoms also werk.) found that an old 2 quart canteen 2 inch strap makes a perty good loop sling for a carbine. 550 cord banana hammock can most expediently be fashioned for those times youve cannibalized yer panties for tp. ive used old bike inner tubes for grips and other rubbery needfuls. panty hose is useful for a ard in a pinch as well as a warm underlayer in cold weather. glad bag ponchos rock. tampons are good wound plugs. hoseclamp can mount anything to a weapon especially an extry long screwdriver for a bayonet. buy white nail polish for front sights and as a primer sealant fer when ye wanna swim yer stik. just a few off the top i could think of quik...lets hear more fellas

3 beer cans, some duct tape for a homemade alcohol stove. When made correctly they are better than commercial alcohol stoves.

Silicone rubber bands.
Just ask a posty, as they normally have a pocket full going spare.
Imperial sizing wax.
Case's (obviously) + chapped lips/waterproof boots/fuel for starting fires/graze cover

I would like to see someone construct a set of webbing/pack out of nothing but gaffer tape?

This is a link to a "ten cent survival knife".
Blades made from hacksaw blades, and secreted throughout one's kit.
I thought it was a handy and rather clever idea. http://www.m4040.com/Survival/10_Cent_Survival_Knife/10_Cent_Survival_Knife.htm

After reading Greg's idea ("I also carry some laundry bleach in a small used snap-cap mustard bottle"), I wondered why I hadn't realized that that bottle would be a great one to re-purpose (as the hippies say). Besides bleach for the dishwashing station in camp, there have to be other liquids that sized bottle with a snap top leakproof lid would be perfect for. Gotta think about that one for a bit.

Reactions: Trey5seven

Tuna can, coiled corrugated cardboard, poured melted parafin; been using them as Scout Buddy Burners for over half a century.

As Scouts, we learned (this was waaay back there) to make and use a Scout Stave, a Scout Sheet, and a Scout Tarp for pretty near all the major woods comfort/survival needs. Add a homemade Ely Pack Frame, and you can carry your shite with the Tarp and the Sheet.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like to see someone construct a set of webbing/pack out of nothing bu

t gaffer tape?
</div></div>

Ah Gaffer Tape
smile.gif

It turns ,.... no!...... No!..... NO!!!!!
Into,..... mm?!..... Mm?!..... MMMMMM????!!!!!!!!!!!
blush.gif

But you can play your games, and I'll play mine
wink.gif

BTT.

Nitrile gloves, Covers for hands (obviously) wounds/muzzles/mags and makes a passable filter with wadding and a small hole in one pinky.

Hahaha.
Well there's wallets and all this crazy stuff made out of it. I'd like to see whether i could make a set of webbing out of (albeit very thickly layered) gaff tape.
Might send it to my mate in 3RAR to see if it'll be able to be put through it's paces.

~

Few of my mates and I have been talking about doing a 'hell' week out in the bush this summer. With deer season over and tonnes of campers around, we considered going out with literally nothing but the clothes on our back (no knives, no nothing), and seeing if we could last a few days in the bush.

Hell Week in Vic' Hmm...... Sounds more like a bottle of Bundi Rum and a campsite full of Sheela's, I can see how that's suffering ;-)

The cheapest kit you can take anywhere is Good Training!!

I live in the lake District (Cumbria/England) right under the flight path from RAF Boulmer, and get to watch a dedicated bunch of folks fly in to scrape another sod of the rocks. The most essential piece of kit a lot of the sods leave behind when they set out round here is "Common Sense!!!" and in most cases it costs nothing.

on the subject of using pop/beer cans for alcohol stoves, i have a tutorial written up for one of these. I still have the one I made 10+ years ago, and there are times in my life where that little turd cooked stuff faster than my old mans "survival" stove using solid fuel pellets.

i made one out of 2 diet pepsi cans, and used a piece of aluminum flashing to make a wind screen/pot holder.

just in case there are folks that don't know how to do this, I think it's one of those essential "get by with what you got" kind of things. Sourcing alcohol is easy, and one of the best sources besides isopropyl at the hardware stores is yellow bottles of HEET fuel de-icer. it's damn near pure isopropyl alcohol. Still...practice safe burning, and don't cook in the tent without good ventilation.

Take (empty) can number one, and score it with a sharp blade about 1" up from the bottom. I usually just use my SWAK Tinker to do these from start to finish. Once scored (just twist the can against the blade, with the blade laying on something to get it to the right height...a small piece of wood, book, rifle mag...anything), plunge your knife into the can further up, and carefully cut down to the score, and then start carefully pressing the aluminum in. It will split on the score...work this around the can till the puck falls away.

Next, to make the thing a little easier to put together, work the bottom of the uncut can into the puck a little to LIGHTLY flare the cut edge. this is cheating...but works very well.

Now cut the second can, slightly (1/8" - 1/4") taller than the first puck. now, take your time, and insert the cut edge of the second can into the first. work it slow to avoid any wrinkles that will cause the stove to leak later. many people fill these with pebbles, nickel plated bb's, or even vermiculite. This helps get the stove heated up, but isn't completely necessary if you can't get it. I don't like anything in there...its' a source of noise and rattling...and I HATE rattles, especially during E&E.

next is to put the right number of holes in. Start with too few, and work up. you can actually "tune" these stoves to work properly. You can use a sewing needle or even the awl tip of your SWAK to make the TINY holes. Here's a pattern that works for me, and approx size of the holes:
stove-hi.jpg

my finished stove:

stove_top-hi.jpg

stove_top2-hi.jpg

Please note, my center fill hole is slightly permanent using a T-nut jbwelded in place with a hex screw. The pic doesn't show this, but i used a dremel to slot the screw so i can use a coin to open it if needed. This is really optional, and it's only because i'm too impatient to wait for fuel to fill into the stove using a single hole in the center of the can to dribble fuel in. you only need about an ounce or less at a time, so waiting for it to drain in would not really take all that long.

lighting the stove is simple. load some fuel inside, and with just a touch of fuel left in the center, light it. it takes about 30 seconds to get hot enough to start boiling the alcohol inside to pressurize the can. This is when you find out if you have not put enough holes in it. the holes you made will become little jets. if there is ANY space between the can and the flame, or the jets seem too long, blow it out, wait for it to cool and add another hole or two, or slightly increase the size of the ones you have. if you don't do this, your stove COULD burst.

on it's own, it's a really simple heat source and works well. If you want to add one of these to your permanent kit, I'd suggest making a small windscreen out of aluminum roof flashing. the one I made looks like this:

windscreen-hi.jpg

all of this rolls up, and fits into a small stainless tube i got from wally world and this container doubles as a small water pot that holds 2 cups of water with enough room to boil. Sorry, i don't have a pic of this and am honestly too lazy right now to go up and get my phone to snap a pic. too lazy to go get out my BOB too. I'm certain (most of) you guys are bright enough to run with this. the whole kit minus fuel is lighter than my MSR whisperlight and a fuel can. Fuel is a wash. I keep my fuel in a small "bug juice" bottle that holds a few ounces. Whole kit is about 6-7" long, 3" in diameter. it will boil 2 cups of water in just over 4 mins.

if you trace the images back to my article on www.planetisuzoo.com you will notice I used to keep a small piece of catfood can to use as a lighting device...i've found this is no longer necessary as the heat produced from using fuel in the bowl of the pop can works just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hahaha.
Well there's wallets and all this crazy stuff made out of it. I'd like to see whether i could make a set of webbing out of (albeit very thickly layered) gaff tape.
Might send it to my mate in 3RAR to see if it'll be able to be put through it's paces.

~

Few of my mates and I have been talking about doing a 'hell' week out in the bush this summer. With deer season over and tonnes of campers around, we considered going out with literally nothing but the clothes on our back (no knives, no nothing), and seeing if we could last a few days in the bush. </div></div>

NO way in hell i'd ever leave the house without a knife. my bucklite at minimum if i could. I ALWAYS have a SWAK Tinker and a gerber Fairbairn tactical folder with me...ALWAYS. second beyond that is a fire steel. everything else i'm comfortable sourcing locally
smile.gif

New skin and electrical tape. Used it to patch my camel back in the mountains on an elk hunt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on the subject of using pop/beer cans for alcohol stoves, i have a tutorial written up for one of these. I still have the one I made 10+ years ago, and there are times in my life where that little turd cooked stuff faster than my old mans "survival" stove using solid fuel pellets.

i made one out of 2 diet pepsi cans, and used a piece of aluminum flashing to make a wind screen/pot holder.

just in case there are folks that don't know how to do this, I think it's one of those essential "get by with what you got" kind of things. Sourcing alcohol is easy, and one of the best sources besides isopropyl at the hardware stores is yellow bottles of HEET fuel de-icer. it's damn near pure isopropyl alcohol. Still...practice safe burning, and don't cook in the tent without good ventilation.

Take (empty) can number one, and score it with a sharp blade about 1" up from the bottom. I usually just use my SWAK Tinker to do these from start to finish. Once scored (just twist the can against the blade, with the blade laying on something to get it to the right height...a small piece of wood, book, rifle mag...anything), plunge your knife into the can further up, and carefully cut down to the score, and then start carefully pressing the aluminum in. It will split on the score...work this around the can till the puck falls away.

Next, to make the thing a little easier to put together, work the bottom of the uncut can into the puck a little to LIGHTLY flare the cut edge. this is cheating...but works very well.

Now cut the second can, slightly (1/8" - 1/4") taller than the first puck. now, take your time, and insert the cut edge of the second can into the first. work it slow to avoid any wrinkles that will cause the stove to leak later. many people fill these with pebbles, nickel plated bb's, or even vermiculite. This helps get the stove heated up, but isn't completely necessary if you can't get it. I don't like anything in there...its' a source of noise and rattling...and I HATE rattles, especially during E&E.

next is to put the right number of holes in. Start with too few, and work up. you can actually "tune" these stoves to work properly. You can use a sewing needle or even the awl tip of your SWAK to make the TINY holes. Here's a pattern that works for me, and approx size of the holes:
stove-hi.jpg

my finished stove:

stove_top-hi.jpg

stove_top2-hi.jpg

Please note, my center fill hole is slightly permanent using a T-nut jbwelded in place with a hex screw. The pic doesn't show this, but i used a dremel to slot the screw so i can use a coin to open it if needed. This is really optional, and it's only because i'm too impatient to wait for fuel to fill into the stove using a single hole in the center of the can to dribble fuel in. you only need about an ounce or less at a time, so waiting for it to drain in would not really take all that long.

lighting the stove is simple. load some fuel inside, and with just a touch of fuel left in the center, light it. it takes about 30 seconds to get hot enough to start boiling the alcohol inside to pressurize the can. This is when you find out if you have not put enough holes in it. the holes you made will become little jets. if there is ANY space between the can and the flame, or the jets seem too long, blow it out, wait for it to cool and add another hole or two, or slightly increase the size of the ones you have. if you don't do this, your stove COULD burst.

on it's own, it's a really simple heat source and works well. If you want to add one of these to your permanent kit, I'd suggest making a small windscreen out of aluminum roof flashing. the one I made looks like this:

windscreen-hi.jpg

all of this rolls up, and fits into a small stainless tube i got from wally world and this container doubles as a small water pot that holds 2 cups of water with enough room to boil. Sorry, i don't have a pic of this and am honestly too lazy right now to go up and get my phone to snap a pic. too lazy to go get out my BOB too. I'm certain (most of) you guys are bright enough to run with this. the whole kit minus fuel is lighter than my MSR whisperlight and a fuel can. Fuel is a wash. I keep my fuel in a small "bug juice" bottle that holds a few ounces. Whole kit is about 6-7" long, 3" in diameter. it will boil 2 cups of water in just over 4 mins.

if you trace the images back to my article on www.planetisuzoo.com you will notice I used to keep a small piece of catfood can to use as a lighting device...i've found this is no longer necessary as the heat produced from using fuel in the bowl of the pop can works just fine. </div></div>

awesome post. just curious though, you say this is a alcohol stove but what would happen if you put other fuels in it such as kerosene or lighter fluid or possibly lamp oil?

[/quote]

awesome post. just curious though, you say this is a alcohol stove but what would happen if you put other fuels in it such as kerosene or lighter fluid or possibly lamp oil? [/quote]

It will explode. I find the most versital fuel is Everclear or 151. Mixes well with lemonade, too.

how long will this alcohol stove burn?

In my Army time, I found a three hoop beekeeper style headnet to be invaluable.

In Mississippi, or Florida, or Wisconsin swamps, the headnet collapses and fits in the top pouch of the pack, and keeps you from fire ants and insects while overnighting in a bivy sack.

okay lamp oil didnt work or my stove making skilz just suck. leaked oil everywhere and the match i tried to light it with turned into a wick and the whole thing was basically a leaky oil lamp mess. maybe dint put enuf holes and maybe lamp oil aint vilent enuf...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how long will this alcohol stove burn? </div></div>

These stoves are used mostly to boil a few cups of water to make dehydrated meals with. Lots of hikers use them. My Cat can stove burns for 10ish minutes if I fill it up.

If I needed something to burn longer I'd look into a coffee can wood stove or something along those lines.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3 beer cans, some duct tape for a homemade alcohol stove. When made correctly they are better than commercial alcohol stoves. </div></div>

Found out the hard way that alcohol, 10k feet ASL, and cold temps don't get along.

I did just discover Spam with Bacon however. This is some cheap, high density pack food folks. Lots of calories in a small space. No tools to open. You can heat it in the can too. 1 3/4" x 3 1/2", 12 oz, 1080 delicious calories.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hahaha.

~

Few of my mates and I have been talking about doing a 'hell' week out in the bush this summer. With deer season over and tonnes of campers around, we considered going out with literally nothing but the clothes on our back (no knives, no nothing), and seeing if we could last a few days in the bush. </div></div>

NO way in hell i'd ever leave the house without a knife. my bucklite at minimum if i could. I ALWAYS have a SWAK Tinker and a gerber Fairbairn tactical folder with me...ALWAYS. second beyond that is a fire steel. everything else i'm comfortable sourcing locally
smile.gif
</div></div>

I'd love to be able to do this, However, carrying a knife on your person without a genuine excuse is illeigal in victoria, and faces $1000 on-the-spot fines, as well as further convictions.
There's always a knife in my car, of course. But I can't carry one with me everywhere, everyday, especially not to Uni or into the city. So i'm stuck with just common sense and the odds-and-ends that are in my bag (alot of medical stuff mind you, but nothing survival related. Not that I'd need it in the city and all.

I dont know if you guys have seen em, but those compressed wash cloths are a great multi-purpose items. They're just a couple of dollars and are the size of half dollars until either water is added or you pull em apart. They work great for fire starters or whatever else you can think of.

I picked up a piece of 2 by 4 foot, 1/2" plywood from the wood dump last winter (a year ago). Being that long makes it a perfect shooting mat for this area, and the best is the cost - FREE!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Remoah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd love to be able to do this, However, carrying a knife on your person without a genuine excuse is illeigal in victoria, and faces $1000 on-the-spot fines, as well as further convictions.
</div></div>

I feel for you guys, some of the most friendly people on Earth but the government wont' trust you with a knife?

Can you take one out when you go for a walk-about?

It's not us. Its *I'm-not-going-to-mention-a-particular-ethnic-group* who carry them and cause all the trouble.

Well yes, you need a 'Lawful Excuse'
Hunting and bushwalking is an excuse, as is work, however you'd be hard pressed to get away with the "i never leave home without one" excuse.

10 cent cheek piece.
Military issue foam sleeping pad (or similar firmness mat).
Duct tape.

Cut small pieces of the sleeping pad to fit on your stock no wider than the width of the stock. Make sure the foam doesn't get in the way of taking out the bolt, etc. Tape the piece on using hard, firm pressure to compress the foam and keep it in place. It helps to have a second person to keep the rifle from falling to the side. Continue this process of individually taping foam pieces, checking the cheek weld after each piece until your eye lines up perfectly with your scope with no tension in your neck. Once you think it's good have another person look down the objective lens to see if the reticle is quartering the center of your pupil. After that I use camoform (athletic tape works too and moleskin to an extent) wrapped a couple times around the cheek piece for extra grip since the tape gets slippery with sweat. You now have a rock solid cheek piece perfectly set up for your face, and it won't slip down. They are a pain to take off though and the tape usually leaves adhesive on your stock.

sorry guys have not logged in for a while.

My stove will burn about 6 mins with 2 oz of Heet or straight denatured ethanol from the hardware store. Everclear burns well too but it's such a waste to burn consumables IMO. there's other good uses for everclear too. may have to add a small vial of that to the BOB. the only fuels you should use for the can stove is various alcohols. make sure you are ventilated to some degree with methanol please...it's pretty clean but does have a little CO emitted. Probably not enough to make you sleepy, but I'm not a big fan of gambling when I don't have to.

DO NOT USE COLEMAN FUEL in one of these. they become insta-bombs. a group of cub/boy scouts got burned a few years ago (post on backpacker.net forum) because one of the scouts loaded the newly created stove with coleman fuel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry guys have not logged in for a while.

My stove will burn about 6 mins with 2 oz of Heet or straight denatured ethanol from the hardware store. Everclear burns well too but it's such a waste to burn consumables IMO. there's other good uses for everclear too. may have to add a small vial of that to the BOB. the only fuels you should use for the can stove is various alcohols. make sure you are ventilated to some degree with methanol please...it's pretty clean but does have a little CO emitted. Probably not enough to make you sleepy, but I'm not a big fan of gambling when I don't have to.

DO NOT USE COLEMAN FUEL in one of these. they become insta-bombs. a group of cub/boy scouts got burned a few years ago (post on backpacker.net forum) because one of the scouts loaded the newly created stove with coleman fuel. </div></div>

x2 with the coleman fuel. I was helping out some younger scouts awhile back trying to sort out all of our troops camping stoves, and somehow got fuel sprayed down my arm.

Two minutes later i was playing with my lighter and WHOOSH goes my arm in flame. Got a big chuckle out of everyone for that...
laugh.gif

Anyway. I always have duck tape, paracord, and my fire kit. Fire kit is a large prescription medicine bottle with a striker and dryer lint compressed inside. Dryer lint is extremely flammable and works great when starting a fire out in the bush.

fancy feast cat food cans makes a great and easy stove also
youtube it

=>old figure 8 scope mount for a flash light attachment

=>gutted a 550 cord and put in thin wire (electrical)

=>used my water purifier and antifreeze to make a fire

=>Various plasitc bottles as water heaters (in fire without air) (solar), funnels, urinals, fishing trotline

=> used my vaccum packed clothes bags (good idea to keep spare clothes in your car) as pillows, shave kit bags, etc

=> spot welded swingable arms on my thermos "cup" like a cook wear cup, and carved out a compartment in the rubber bottom peice i found/ shaped for matches and purification tabs

Multi purpose items i like
Tarps, cord, rope, cable, multitool pliars, a good knife, mirco can opener, mess kit (clip together) utensils, plastic bottle tupplewear, rain suit, etc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JasonB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on the subject of using pop/beer cans for alcohol stoves, i have a tutorial written up for one of these. I still have the one I made 10+ years ago, and there are times in my life where that little turd cooked stuff faster than my old mans "survival" stove using solid fuel pellets.

stove-hi.jpg

my finished stove:

stove_top-hi.jpg

stove_top2-hi.jpg

windscreen-hi.jpg

if you trace the images back to my article on www.planetisuzoo.com you will notice I used to keep a small piece of catfood can to use as a lighting device...i've found this is no longer necessary as the heat produced from using fuel in the bowl of the pop can works just fine. </div></div>

going to do this for sure. good to have when camping for the ya never know situations.

For rear socks- Rice gets nasty depending on the environment. Had to switch to airsoft pellets. You can pick up a bunch for $5 at wally world.

Pop-up canisters- Not the aluminum outter sleve but the plastic dunnage container, works great for cleaning gear, maps, map pens, etc. Theyre water tight and are thrown away mostly.

Roll of duct tape, bag of cloth bootbands, roll of 5-50 cord priceless