• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

cheap pod mods

SkaerE

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2001
The only blue part of VA :(
so, based on the thread "7-11'' bipods" in the groupbuy forum

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2015714&nt=26&page=1

26 pages long so i assume i am not the only one who bought a couple of the cheapo "harris type" bipods. of course they arent harris quality but i run them on a couple 22s with no problems.

that being said, i hate the feet. much like the problems with the harris feet... only worse cause the rubber is a harder type rubber that skids on everything.

after some thinking/perusing/whatever i thought of a couple ways to make these better. before anyone says anything, yes of course i copied some ideas. they work, and i'm not trying to market something new. just wanted to make my cheap little bipods better. for cheap.

FWIW none of these 3 types cost more than $3. some had more labor involved than others. the first two are made from 1'' washers and 3/4'' tube stock i had laying around. (but priced out at home depot to get to my $3 mark) also used were stainless #10 bolts, stainless lock nuts and washers, and a small section of 3/8'' tubing.

IMG_6545.jpg

works ok, only issue for me is the pivoting of the bipod legs in relation to the feet. takes a second or two to make sure everything is lined up.

IMG_6547.jpg

i actually like these better than the first one. even though they are flat on the bottom without the downward facing edges of the first, when you load it they dig in nicely. i assume its due to the triangular shape.

IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_6556.jpg

these are my favorite of the 3 i think. no pivot - simple and easy. all off the shelf parts. and about 10 min each to build.

Re: cheap pod mods

Interesting,thanks for posting

Thanks for posting. Im always interested in diy and saving money i also have the cheap bipods cant wait to try some of these

if you want to make one, i would suggest the third. you need 2 of each

3/8'' coupling nut
3/8'' bolt
5/16'' washer

- ream out half of the 3/8'' coupling nut to 3/8''
- drill out the 5/16'' washer to 3/8''
- bolt washer flush to coupling nut and tack weld
- cut head off 3/8'' bolt and grind to a point
- drill 1/8'' hole through 3/8'' coupling nut .15'' from top (reamed out half)
- drift out 1/8'' roll pin, swap feet, drive back in

alternatively i was tossing the idea around of using arrow heads as the removable "spike" but the system - while not complex - wouldnt be easily store bought like this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkaerE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you want to make one, i would suggest the third. you need 2 of each

3/8'' coupling nut
3/8'' bolt
5/16'' washer

- ream out half of the 3/8'' coupling nut to 3/8''
- drill out the 5/16'' washer to 3/8''
- bolt washer flush to coupling nut and tack weld
- cut head off 3/8'' bolt and grind to a point
- drill 1/8'' hole through 3/8'' coupling nut .15'' from top (reamed out half)
- drift out 1/8'' roll pin, swap feet, drive back in

alternatively i was tossing the idea around of using arrow heads as the removable "spike" but the system - while not complex - wouldnt be easily store bought like this one. </div></div>

What would you charge to make a set for me? I dont own a welder.

Love the last one! Very cool, could have used them this weekend.

Cool mod, gonna have to make me some of those. Hope you dont mind I tack one on as well.

Here is my $1.50 mod. It is more for function than aesthetics.

I always hated that plastic thumbscrew on the pods.

I have one of the group buy pods, but should work on any pod with an M5 retainer screw.

Just went to Ace and picked up a M5 bolt and a "fan shroud" retainer. Quick weld and good to go.

It allow me to tighten that pod down real good. Also when taking the pod off, I just loosen a little and spin the rest of the way.

Note: I am not a welder, I know folks here can weld much better. It is functional and good for my cheapo 100A stick welder.

dsc04543j.jpg

By roggom at 2012-01-09

dsc04544w.jpg

By roggom at 2012-01-09

dsc04545vj.jpg

By roggom at 2012-01-09

nice Roggom! i agree, having a welder does not make one a Welder (just look at mine) :p

i ground the triangular feel from 1'' washers i got from tractor supply. removed most of the stock with my bandsaw then finished with belt sander (2''x72'' - 2HP... went quick
wink.gif
)

DOA, to be honest it probably wouldnt be worth it for you to pay shipping and me to weld. pick up the parts and a local welding shop may tack them up for you real quick. FYI - i would have used stainless component if i had the ability to weld stainless. you should be able to find all of the material as stainless hardware for only a couple bucks more.

on a side note, what do the notched Harris bipod legs look like once you get rid of the rubber feet... is it similar? i would think these would work well on a Harris if its the same type of setup.