• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cheap progressive press.

DeauxJoe

Daisy Picker
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
Thibodaux, La
Is anyone here using one that they think is ok? I would like to get one to spit out some .40 cal. Looked at the Lee Pro, Dillion Square deal. Have been told so far the if I'm going to get one don't look at nothing but a 550.

Re: Cheap progressive press.

The Square Deal may still be a good one. Besides, Dillon has always had great customer service and warranty.
The 550 is more versatile in case you want to start loading different calibers, especially rifle.
I don't recommend the Lee progressive at all. Had some buds that tried it and it never worked well enough.

i got 2 lee pro 100's for pistol loads, and a classic cast for rifle, they work fine, dont let all the negative comments scare you away from them.

are they harder to adjust, yes
are they not built quite as good, yes
do they load mounds of ammo, yes..

just a little harder to use than a big blue...

but as with anything in life, its a learning curve.

I bought the Lee LoadMaster. Can be a little hard to set up compared to a single stage. Once its adjusted, your good. If I were to buy a Dillon I'd probably go with a 650. I like the added powder check idea. As far as price, I got the Lee and 2 calibers with bullet feeds and case feeds for less than a 550 price then.

Pick up a pro 1000 and make sure you get the case feeder. It works great for as simple as it is. The only issue I had while loading thousands of 45's (other than having to keep an eye on the primers) was that you need to use a lee FCD when loading lead. If you're loading jacketed bullets, rock on.

Doing it all over again I'd get the Square Deal. I have a 550. Rifle ammo loading on a 550 for my purposes is a net loss of time versus single stage at best, a disaster at worst. The 550 loads pistol very well too, but the Square Deal would be fine for what you want to do AND it is auto indexing. You have to upgrade to the 650 to get that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pick up a pro 1000 and make sure you get the case feeder. It works great for as simple as it is. The only issue I had while loading thousands of 45's (other than having to keep an eye on the primers) was that you need to use a lee FCD when loading lead. If you're loading jacketed bullets, rock on.</div></div>

yes, the primer system leaves alot to be desired on the lee, one thing that i forgot to mention in my post above, was that you got to keep the primer chute CLEAN, any poder granuals or dust in there and your through. a quick clean with alcohal and a cotton swab, then i use a little dry graphite lube on the chute and im back up running again.

other than that, it has been a good little press for reloading pistol ammo, i did do .223 on it, but if you do, dont expect any match ammo from it. when my GF goes to the range with me she goes through a shit ton of .223 in my ar, and this makes them accurate enough for the spray and pray that she does at 50-75 yards. (she can shoot very well with my scoped rifles and my 1911, but she just likes throwing mass .223 downrange, and she is happy when the 8x11 sheet of paper is obliterated when she's got the AR...)

If you go by what Jeepguy242 has posted as positive then you really should buy anyone else's but Lee. They are "hard to adjust, not as good a quality and the primer system sucks". Other than that they are top notch?
Don't spend time F'n around with the press when you can be producing ammo.
It's just that simple.

Just as a side note here. The key word in this thread is CHEAP. When your building ammo do you really want a cheap press. Well maybe for a single stage but not for progressive presses. This is a tool for reloading ammo. It's not a one time use tool it's something that you'll use for the rest of your life and maybe your childrens life also. Buy once cry once. Just tightin up and get you a good progressive system that will do what you'll end up wanting it to do. You may start with .40cal but that will change to many different calibers soon enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bricktop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">People seem to like the Hornady LNL AP. </div></div>

Yup, I do. Used Dillon for many years and switched to the LnL for its flexibility and safety. It's not as fast as the Dillons, but it makes up for that with versatility, IMHO.

Hornady Lock-n-Load AP 100%. its fast and easy to use and is super fast to change out to different cal.
IMAG0281.jpg

I highly reccomend going to a retail store that has a few presses on display ( maybe a Cabelas or Bass Pro ??) and check out the quality and feel of each press for yourself.

I love my Lee single stage press, but when you get into the complexities and possible safety pitfalls of running a progressive press, I truly believe you need to buy once cry once.

I use a Lock and load AP, which I highly recommend due to construction, ease of use and ease of changing calibers and accessories. I don't own a dillon but I have used one and it's another great option as their presses are well thought out and of top notch quality. If you do go the Dillion route, get a press you can easily adapt to another caliber, as the day you buy a .45 or 9mm.... You will wish you had .

My $.02

Why not accept the fact that most who start reloading continue to do so, for a long time.

If you start loading for pistol, eventually you'll also load for rifle.

I've been down the road, I started over 40 years ago. Don't go cheap. Quality doesn't cost that much more. Start out with a Square Deal B and use for your pistol loads. When you then go to rifle loads, you have the choice of a single stage which satisfies the need for most hunting and target shooting needs or another progressive if you own a hungry Autoloader (like I do x3)

I have that cheap press I bought on the advice of a so-called expert and am keeping it as a monument to what I shouldn't have done. Today I have an RCBS single stage for my precision ammo and a Dillon XL-650 for all my "hungry firearms".

I should have listened to those who told me to invest a little more on the front end. Over the long haul it would have been cheaper as I wouldn't have several hundred dollars invested in my "monument".

Yeah I was on the square deal kick but my local rep told me they were built cheaply. So I don't know. I have a Lee single stage I use right now for pistol and rifle. I just want to speed up my reloading process for pistol. I will stick with the Lee for rifle loads. I guess I'm just debating on how heavy I need to jump into this. I will most likely load about 200-500 round a month.

I think that cutting corners on a progressive press is what I call 'Penny Wisdom'.

Over the lifetime of any press that's used with a decent degree of respect, the original purchase price is probably the least significant cost component. Time and aggravation outweigh such considerations, and rock solid reliability those as well. My first press was a used Dillon RL550B, and it remains perfectly serviceable and has been my only press for going on 25 years.

The initial bite isn't easy, I know that. But you buy once, cry once, and all that becomes prologue.

The difference in aggravation, and the diference in confusion and downtime that buying right, once, derives far outweighs any monetary benefit that bargain shopping might provide.

Greg

I am thinking from the advice of everyone that is what i'll do. I will maybe try and find a used unit floating around.

You can get great deals on used units. I got a RCBS Pro200 for $250 for the press system. I gave a extra $150 for two more tool heads, set of 45-70 dies, 3 shell holders and a few other things. It was a older system before they updated the primer system. It was missing a few small parts. RCBS got me all the small parts free to get it up and going. I then found out the primer system was the old one they sold me the whole new bottom part for $50. So I got the press up and going for about $450 (I think). came in about $50 cheaper than just the press kit from Midway plus all the extra parts.

Sweet!, Yeah I put a thread up on WTB if ya know anyone send em my way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that cutting corners on a progressive press is what I call 'Penny Wisdom'.

Over the lifetime of any press that's used with a decent degree of respect, the original purchase price is probably the least significant cost component. Time and aggravation outweigh such considerations, and rock solid reliability those as well. My first press was a used Dillon RL550B, and it remains perfectly serviceable and has been my only press for going on 25 years.

The initial bite isn't easy, I know that. But you buy once, cry once, and all that becomes prologue.

The difference in aggravation, and the diference in confusion and downtime that buying right, once, derives far outweighs any monetary benefit that bargain shopping might provide.

Greg </div></div>

+1
I'm with Greg on this one.
I'm the second owner of a 20 year old 550. Loads great ammo, including accurate 308.
If you want to save money, find a used Dillon.
CW

I used a dillon once it made quick work of a lot of 40 cal rounds. When I finally decide to get a progressive press it will be a dillon.

No way would I want to discourage anyone from buying shooting tools. because I'm as guilty as anyone. my advise is to research loading components and ask yourself do i really shoot this much. because you need to do allot of shooting to break even. especially if you'll looking at a Dillon 650 or comparable machine. like i'm taking 5-6000 rounds a year. it will take 10-12000 rounds just to beak even buying the press and components and that's for 9mm stuff. you can get re-manufactured ammo for about (9mm) for about 20 cents per round and it cost about 14 cents to load it.
Check it out and add it up, then make your decision.

Arborpro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone here using one that they think is ok? I would like to get one to spit out some .40 cal. Looked at the Lee Pro, Dillion Square deal. Have been told so far the if I'm going to get one don't look at nothing but a 550.</div></div>

I own about a half dozen progressive presses and I've been reloading for over 40 years or so.

If you are not a reloader now, I would recommend starting out with a single stage press and acquire all the other equipment you need first.

My opinion is that for safety reasons, progressive reloading is best for experienced reloaders, especially so with 40 SW due to the safety factors related to that round.

Single stage reloading can be fast once you learn how to work efficiently. Even the best progressive presses require a longer learning curve and meticulous adjustment to work properly...no one seems to compute the set up time in their rounds per hour calculations.

I'd recommend to learn to be a careful reloader and avoid potential accidents before graduating to a progressive.

Having said all that...

Loading only 200-500 rounds a month would not justify the expense of a progressive press for me.

If it wasn't already set-up and running, I wouldn't bother to do that on a progressive...when I can load 200 rounds in a couple of hours or less on a single stage press.

TC

Well I guess that is why I am having a hard time shelling out the funds for an expensive pregressive press. I currently load on a Lee single stage. I load .308 and .40 S&W. I have produced rounds for both and I a) enjoy the hobby of reloading b) want the benifit of being able to customize my ammo i.e. sub sonic and c) know that in time it will pay for itself.
So I guess thats why this question came up in the first place. I don't see myself needing a 1000+ setup. But I could justify a Square deal or something in that area. .235 per round is the cheapest I could find .40 S&W for. I have figured that shooting cast bullets which I can buy for Mr. Gary Thibodaux (GA Bullets) who lives down the street from me. I save approx 60% per bullet. That results in me paying off my $500 investment in about 7 months. Now that is just figured at 500 rounds per month. I may shoot more If it were more afforadble. Lets just say now I have the extra cash I start shooting 1k rounds per month well now I have paid off my investment in 3.5 months.
So with that information in mind I guess I could just keep loading on my single stage press. It would however be nice if I could get into a setup that would fit my bill. Whatever I get I will most likely will never load .308 on it. I may do some 5.56 or 5.7x28 later down the road. I would like to be proficient in .40 S&W and .308 before I start any more calipers though.

Loading 2000 .45 ACP (230 FMJ)or 6000 9mm (115 FMJ) will save you a $1000. Thats a Dillon 650 with case feed and extras. It might cover 2 calibers even. $381 will get a Lee Loadmaster, dies and tool heads for two calibers, bullet and case feeds.

Get the Lee Pro 1000, for $160 it is a bargain. I loaded 1000 rounds of 40 on mine in a couple nights of even paced reloading.

The tradeoff is a matter of dollars once vs your time, every time.

I own a 550 and a 650. A pistol shooting friend of mine bought a square deal. When another friend asked my opinion of what to buy, I advised him to get the Hornady LnL.

After setting up and running all 4 of these machines, I am absolutely convinced the Hornady LnL is the model to buy. Heres why:

1. If you're going to bother with a progressive, it MUST auto-index. I know a lot of folks say the non-indexing presses are easier, but I just couldn't disagree more. It is WAY, WAY hard to double charge a case in an auto-index machine. Much, MUCH easier to do with a non indexing press. Think about it; you pull the lever, charge a case, and then the case automatically MOVES OUT OF THE WAY!

2. When you get the LnL, you are essentially getting a 650 for the price of a 550.

3. No, you don't get the insane, over the top customer service/warranty that you do with Dillon, but Hornady's CS/Warranty is no slouch.

4. The Hornady is HEAVY DUTY

5. The LnL has a more elegant and more accurate powder measure that doesn't require any safety linkages, which makes it faster and easier to put on and take off.

6. The cam lock die/tool bushings make it easy to switch PORTIONS of setups, without having to switch out entire toolheads.

7. Square deals and 550's dump spent primers on your floor sometimes. 650s and LnLs don't.

There are more reasons, but I'll stop now. The LnL is a great deal when its NOT on sale, but when it is on sale, its a fantastic machine at a great price. In buying a Dillon, a lot of the money you spend is to pay for numb-nuts breaking their machines and doing numb-nuts things.

I have a 550 as a first and only press. I'm far from an expert, but I like it a lot.

On any of them, watch craigslist regularly. I bought mine off there, and it was a steal. It may take awhile to find someone who doesn't know what they have, but you can find it. This works even better since you can load on your single stage while you wait.

Got 2 Dillon Square deals, 2 dillon 550Bs, a Hornady LNL, and a Redding T7. Always have been a Dillon guy. I break shit....alot.
They have been exc on their customer service. That being said,
I hate the powder measure on the 550 for extuded powder.
The Hornady LNL is really growing on me.

I have never had any kind of failure on anything Dillon or Hornady that wasn't my fault - doing ignorant numb nuts things.

I've owned an Lee Pro 1,000, Dillon 550, Dillon 650, Dillon 1050, and the Hornady LNL AP. Currently have a 650 setup to load USPSA pistol ammo and will be adding a 550 for everything else.

You need to really think about what your wanting/going to load.

I started on a pro1000 for 45. That thing paid for itself in a day. It was 100 bucks ready to rock. I loaded on it for two years with minimal probles. But when I really got into USPSA/IDPA it just wore out.

I then bought a dillon 550 used. It was nice but for high volume pistol stuff I absolutely hated having to place a case and bullet then index every time.

Moved up to a 650 with case feeder. This things a beast for pistol stuff. Need 100 rounds? Sit down for 5 minutes and go.

I found a great deal on a Dillon 1050 with bullet feeder and autodrive. Loved the machine. But you can buy a new 550 for what a caliber conversion would cost and the 650 was keeping up with my needs so I had no need for it.

I found an LNL AP in the closeout room of Cabelas and decided to see what I was missing. Honestly the press is nice...but the quickchange bushings are overblown for there convienence. I didn't like the way the press mounted to the bench and honestly the price difference between a LNL AP and a 650 setup with case feeders is nil.

The quick change bushings are the LNL's biggest selling point..and honestly you can do the same thing with locking die rings on any Dillon press. Just unscrew and screw in new die....its retarded how much people jones on those things.

ALL THAT BEING SAID.

If you are wanting to load rifle rounds as well as pistol rounds on the press get the 550. Its easier to recover from a mistake...and control the overall movement.

The 550 also has the case resting under the plate and on the base instead of IN a case holder like a 650 or LNL. I really think this will aid in consistent sizing and seizing since there can still be some play side to side in the case plates.

Its also allot easier to swap primer sizes on the 550. So if you wanna go load 50 rounds of one and 50 of another it takes seconds to swap primer sizes and calibers. The 650 isn't bad to swap primer sizes on but if you want to just go load a few its a pain to swap everything over on.

The Nice thing about Dillon is how they hold there value...check ebay. Used Dillon 550's will usually go for nearly 90% of new price regardless of age.

Used LNL's will usually sell for half or so of the new price.

So in short...if you wanting to just load some quick 40 ammo and thats it. Just get the pro 1000 and crank away. I could load around 400 an hour on mine.