• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Cheap, quality long range scope

roadrash

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
St. Augustine, Florida
I've just started to get into longer range shooting, and am in the process of getting a rifle. What are some good quality scopes that won't break the bank, as funds are kind of tight right now..

Re: Cheap, quality long range scope

Lots of information already posted on this subject. What is your budget and how far do you consider long range?

define cheap & long range, for example is cheap <$500 and is long range 800 yards or 1200 yards?

Cheap and Quality are not going to work in the same sentence. Save up some money and be prepared to spend $1000-$2500 for something adequate and more for something finer. You can save some money with a SFP scope like a Vortex PST if you don't need first focal plane....

Alot depends on your definition of cheap, but typically you cant have both. Think about it if a 50 dollar scope would do the same thing as a 1000 dollar scope why would they even make 1000 dollar scopes?

The vortex viper 6.5x20x44 30mm on www.cameralandny.com is a real nice scope for the money. They go for around $290. I have used these as varmint scopes with great success.

As suggested above, look around. This one has been done a bazzillion times. Check out SWFA they are a Hide vendor and carry several decent entry level, budget friendly choices.

Eric

Weaver tactical 3-15 FFP is a smidge over your price target but worth the extra $$$ w mil/mil

Thanks for all the responses guys. Are any scopes better than another, in the caliber sense? I am going to be shooting 308. Does this change any opinions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: roadrash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the responses guys. Are any scopes better than another, in the caliber sense? I am going to be shooting 308. Does this change any opinions? </div></div>

If you don't already know the answer to these questions, you're not going to be able to tell the difference anyway. Just buy one and shoot.

Vortex or upper end Bushnell are likely going to meet your needs and price range, depending what application you have in mind. Range doesn't necessarily determine price, but if you're going to be dialing elevation and windage you are going to need a scope with repeatable and durable turrets and that is going to cost more.

You don't need a $1500 to be "adequate" for most applications. I'm running an older $1000 Nikon Tactical on my big game rifle; it's been through multiple elk hunts and never railed me. It gets a decent amount of turrent dialing. My local deer hunting scope, which gets even heavier usage, is a Bushnell 3200 (?) Tactical I got for ~$600. It's a perfectly fine scope and sees quite a bit of turret adjustment.

I'm sure the pricey scopes are quality pieces but most people get along fine without them. The law of diminishing returns starts to kick in big time around the $1K mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheap and Quality are not going to work in the same sentence. Save up some money and be prepared to spend $1000-$2500 for something adequate and more for something finer. </div></div>

I beg to differ. SWFA 10x42 is an awesome scope for $300.
Only requirements I see from the OP are target shooting, less than $500 and out to 800yds. No need for a variable scope at that range. No need for variable on a piece of paper or metal. His application doesn't require a lot of money. A lot of people think it does and most of the time it's b/c someone told them they had to have the best.
If you want to shoot varmints at 800yds then yeah you had better spend some good money on a high magnification scope b/c if you buy a cheap/high magnification scope it might not get the job done.
This guy breaks things down for you when it comes to long range shooting. From choosing a caliber through making the shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nky0voYC7gQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O0Q6rpV0KU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53LTp4prwkY

I love my Midway exclusive Vortex Viper HS 5-15. I think for the price it's very tough to beat. Very nice glass with some cool features.