• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Cheap spotting scopes

jpcowboy5

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2005
Alfalfa county, OK
Ok, know there are a few wedgeasses here that have the el cheapo spotting scopes. Anything out there your happy with or amazed by the glass? Just wanting a POS to throw behind the seat of the truck and leave in there. Have a Leup that gets to stay clean, just wanting a getby for everyday. I was thinking $200 and less, even the real cheap ones like the Winchesters, Barskas, Trekkers, etc.
Thanks

Re: Cheap spotting scopes

I picked up a Barska Gladiator 25x - 75x by 100m for $199 at Optics Planet on sale. I volunteer as a Range Safety Officer at my local range and have a lot of opportunity to view many scopes, since there is a highpower competetition almost every weekend. I have tried scopes 4x this one in cost that can't match it. The included tripod is horrible, but the scope is awesome for the price.

For what you are looking for, check out the Celestron line of spotting scopes at Optics Planet. They aren't very small in size, but the glass isn't bad and they have a no fault lifetime warranty.

i have a Konus 20-60x100 that i leave in the truck. it is huge and heavy, but it works very well for the $199 it cost.

I use a Kowa 20X50mm, straight eyepiece for HP matches to 600 yards. So far so good. I can see the score board and the spotter clearly at 600 yds. To my eyes, this little Kowa is clearer at 20X than my Vanguard 82mm at 60X. Somewhere in the Hide archives I read an explanation as to why - something to do with better glass. The Kowa was about $200 when I picked it up.

I shoot in the tactical division and carry all my gear and ammo on me. My scope fits in the battle bag with the tripod and extra gear. Been saving up for an angled eyepiece spotter so I can don't have to move off the rifle so much to see the score.

Gunfighter

I had a Konus myself but it was very poor quality. The eye piece broke right off by just taking it out of the case. I realize that its a lot of scope for the $$$. But it might break if its going to be sitting in the back of your truck. Just something to think about. And yes I had mine stored in the case and box when I took it to the range when it broke. I didn't even get a chance to use it. I would consider getting a different brand if you are going to keep it in the truck, as it might roll around a little. I would consider the Barska Gladiator instead.

Good Luck!

I bought a Vortex spotting scope for cheap, it is superlightweight and works well, seems like I paid like 125 bucks for it.
Looks like that one linked above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug Kelley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Konus myself but it was very poor quality. The eye piece broke right off by just taking it out of the case. I realize that its a lot of scope for the $$$. But it might break if its going to be sitting in the back of your truck. Just something to think about. And yes I had mine stored in the case and box when I took it to the range when it broke. I didn't even get a chance to use it. I would consider getting a different brand if you are going to keep it in the truck, as it might roll around a little. I would consider the Barska Gladiator instead.

Good Luck! </div></div>

I was real big on my Konus that I have had. Two weeks ago the mount ring busted while on the tripod. Kinda pissed about that. I sent them an email earlier today to see if they will fix it for free. I was all set up to show a student bullet trace with it and it broke right in front of us.

I bought a pretty good redhead 15-45x60 at bass-pro for 150$.Its not great glass but not bad either.(straight eye piece)