• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheaper than Dirt Suspends Online Gun Sales

Re: Cheaper than Dirt Suspends Online Gun Sales

I don't think I have ever purchased anything from them before as they are never cheaper than dirt but they have now just committed business suicide.

I bought a rifle from them last summer. Price was equivalent to Bud's so I don't remember why I chose CTD, but there are far too many other options out there and as stated, their prices are getting higher.

Shipping there has always been ridiculous as well.. I recall it was like $15 for 2 mags one time.. I was like F that! Move on CTD.. we don't need you.

Honestly I'm happy to see some of these big shops backing away, I'd rather support my local shop.

Ive been watching their facebook page #"liked" amount drop like a brick since they announced that. Its funny.

-Z

I removed them from face book and gave them a my thoughts aswell.

Brothers, it is douchebags such as this that jumped into the FFL Business just to shit us private owned and operated dealers out of business because they would or could buy train car loads at a time and undersell us. Now when the public opinion all of a sudden turns sour towards Gun Dealers and firearms in general they bail their corporate asses out of business and point their finger at all of us as the "Demons". Remember this next time you decide you need to restock or get ready for your next firearm purchase. I got into this business because I have always lived, breathed and was brought up in a firearms family. P.S. : FUCK ALL THE CORPORATE DOUCHEBAGS!!!

CTD has been a pain in the ass for Californians (at least for me) for a long time. Their company puts limitations on what they will sell to this state even thought these items are legal to posses, buy, sell and use in CA.

It's amazing that so few have ever supported CA gun owners/enthusiasts. I've even dealt with people here on the Hide that wouldn't sell to me for the simple reason that I live in CA.

Don't you people understand that by denying CA residents of goods and services (gun related), you support the anti-gunners.

Well, now the rest of the US can start to feel the "squeeze" that us Californians are so used to. God-forbid, if a federal law is enacted to bring the rest of the states in line with CA's existing laws; at least you won't hear me make the statement that is usually directed at us, "You could always move out of the US (CA etc. etc.)."

Sorry to rant. I just hate how nobody gives a fuck until it's their problem. The anti-gunners are successfully dividing and conquering and will continue to do so unless people start to stand up for EVERYBODY's rights....not just your state's.

CTD should've gone unsupported long ago due to their over compliance with states that are anti-gun and making company policy to further restrict gun related products to those states.

Welcome to the party 'merica...

Eff them. They mailed me a flyer several years ago saying brass was on sale. When I went to order it online the price was jacked up. I emailed and asked what the deal was. They said they reserve the right to change their prices as they see fit. I reserve the right to not give them any of my business.

Some of the comments on their facebook page are hilarious. I would comment but I don't have a facebook account.

That's sad. Other than the lame explanation on facebook has anybody seen anything from the company explaining why they stopped selling firearms?

Screw em'

Never bought anything from Cheaper Than Dirt since most of what they sell is crap.

Dicks will never see another dollar from my wallet.

Now all you business experts from out of town go to the walk in CTD location in Fort Worth and wait in line to get into the store.
About an hour wait to get close to the gun counter.
If that's business suicide these guys are going to heaven.
All the sales they can deal with, and without the shipping hassle.

They went from 300k+ likes on Facebook to 195k in 8 hours today!

Cheaper than dirt...an apt name.

I only do shooting related business face to face, and I only buy outside my local dealer when he advises me to because either delays or his costs make it the better choice. Since I have no problem with waiting, and his prices are usually very good anyway; this seldom happens. I treasure his continued presence, and do what I can to help him stay in business. He knows this and treats me decently.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CTD has been a pain in the ass for Californians (at least for me) for a long time. Their company puts limitations on what they will sell to this state even thought these items are legal to posses, buy, sell and use in CA.

It's amazing that so few have ever supported CA gun owners/enthusiasts. I've even dealt with people here on the Hide that wouldn't sell to me for the simple reason that I live in CA.

Don't you people understand that by denying CA residents of goods and services (gun related), you support the anti-gunners.

Well, now the rest of the US can start to feel the "squeeze" that us Californians are so used to. God-forbid, if a federal law is enacted to bring the rest of the states in line with CA's existing laws; at least you won't hear me make the statement that is usually directed at us, "You could always move out of the US (CA etc. etc.)."

Sorry to rant. I just hate how nobody gives a fuck until it's their problem. The anti-gunners are successfully dividing and conquering and will continue to do so unless people start to stand up for EVERYBODY's rights....not just your state's.

CTD should've gone unsupported long ago due to their over compliance with states that are anti-gun and making company policy to further restrict gun related products to those states.

Welcome to the party 'merica... </div></div>

Wow, and now you wonder why we dont like selling to Californians. Your holier than thou attitdue may be one reason why. The other has to do with so much extra hoop-jumping to send a gun to Ca. Not to mention making sure its legal in Ca. otherwise we could be prosecuted for sending you something thats not approved.

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bass Ackwardz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CTD has been a pain in the ass for Californians (at least for me) for a long time. Their company puts limitations on what they will sell to this state even thought these items are legal to posses, buy, sell and use in CA.

Wow, and now you wonder why we dont like selling to Californians. Your holier than thou attitdue may be one reason why. The other has to do with so much extra hoop-jumping to send a gun to Ca. Not to mention making sure its legal in Ca. otherwise we could be prosecuted for sending you something thats not approved.

Bill </div></div>

I'm going to have to disagree with you Bill and wholeheartedly agree with Bowman. You're "holier than thou" statement is way off base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now all you business experts from out of town go to the walk in CTD location in Fort Worth and wait in line to get into the store.
About an hour wait to get close to the gun counter.
If that's business suicide these guys are going to heaven.
All the sales they can deal with, and without the shipping hassle. </div></div>

The Ft Worth Cheaper than dirt store is NOT affiliated with the online store. Different owners, different stock. The Ft worth store owner bought the rights when the online guys decided to go online only (in spite of the fact that they have opened a store in McKinney) The Ft Worth store has their website and fb set up as Cheaper Than Dirt Outdoor Adventures. Just an fyi...

How does CTD plan on staying in business after this? It boggles the mind that somebody at CTD though that pissing off all of it's ONLY customers was a good idea. I guess they're counting on their anti-gun liberal customers to keep them afloat lol.

CTD can cave. I will search high and low and pay a tad bit extra to give to the small companies. The small guys need all the help we can give them. They seem to be the ones getting it from both ends and still trying to make it at the same time. Its usually the small companies that go out of there way to make the customer happy.

Looks like they are back selling guns
-----
Cheaper Than Dirt! recently announced that it was temporarily suspending online sales of firearms pending a review of its order processing and procedures. Well-known for its ability to process and ship orders within 24 hours, online sales have skyrocketed to a point where it may take up to 72 hours for firearms and other items to ship.

"In light of recent events, we believe it is prudent to review our policies and procedures to ensure we can continue to provide the products and firearms our customers demand," said Chief Operations Officer Roberta Wilson. "We will resume online sales once we update our process and continue as we have always done by shipping firearms only to FFL dealers."

Ms. Wilson closed with, "As a long-time supporter of the Second Amendment, we will continue to serve the needs of the firearms community while ensuring our unsurpassed level of quality and customer service."

I received it as well and replied as follows:

Too little too late for abandoning the people that helped your business to be what it is. Your ceasing to sell firearms and your price gouging in the wake of tragic event is shameful. You followed the lead of other mainstream companies that are more worried about saving face with the anti-gun crowd than standing up for our rights. You should change your name if you hope to continue receiving dollars from the sportsmen of this country, or just get out of the business all together. I have made the choice to never show you my patronage again. I'll choose other companies that have a higher moral standard than you have exhibited. Please remove me from future correspondence.

Signed,

Trent Mitchell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I received it as well and replied as follows:

Too little too late for abandoning the people that helped your business to be what it is. Your ceasing to sell firearms and your price gouging in the wake of tragic event is shameful. You followed the lead of other mainstream companies that are more worried about saving face with the anti-gun crowd than standing up for our rights. You should change your name if you hope to continue receiving dollars from the sportsmen of this country, or just get out of the business all together. I have made the choice to never show you my patronage again. I'll choose other companies that have a higher moral standard than you have exhibited. Please remove me from future correspondence.

Signed,

Trent Mitchell </div></div>

Amen, I too gave CTD a nice little note. I rarely used them over the past 6 months or so since their prices have been rather high although I did puchase a .357 Winchester lever action from them back in September but will never do business with them again. Hope they fold soon though because the anti gun crowd surely wont be giving them business.

Waaay too late after they realized they committed business suicide. I don't know what marketing brainiac thought it would be a good idea to announce that on their Facebook page, but they very literally lost hundreds of thousands of potential customers and quite possibly... many more than that.

There were at least several hundred comments (literally) who called YESTERDAY to cancel any pending orders.

To go back and say they're resuming sales, I believe it's far too late for that.

I didn't buy much from CTD, but I'm wondering what other online vendor you guys use as a sort-of one stop shop similarly to how CTD did business?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bass Ackwardz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CTD has been a pain in the ass for Californians (at least for me) for a long time. Their company puts limitations on what they will sell to this state even thought these items are legal to posses, buy, sell and use in CA.

Bill </div></div>

Not sure which part of my post was "holier than thou", but apparently you are trying to justify why you don't sell to people in CA.

I also missed the part where I told people to sell things illegally. Hey, if it's too tough for you to support people in CA, don't get mad at me. Also, stop making excuses. Don't come cryin' when the anti-gunners set precedent in CA and then continue to expand to yours.

Sounds like your a big Blue Falcon type of guy. Hey, India, Golf, Mike......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMM0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I didn't buy much from CTD, but I'm wondering what other online vendor you guys use as a sort-of one stop shop similarly to how CTD did business? </div></div>

I use MidwayUSA for 95% of my orders, sure they have some minor issues (compared to CTD) but they're usually the cheapest if you use a code.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bass Ackwardz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CTD has been a pain in the ass for Californians (at least for me) for a long time. Their company puts limitations on what they will sell to this state even thought these items are legal to posses, buy, sell and use in CA.

Bill </div></div>

Not sure which part of my post was "holier than thou", but apparently you are trying to justify why you don't sell to people in CA.

I also missed the part where I told people to sell things illegally. Hey, if it's too tough for you to support people in CA, don't get mad at me. Also, stop making excuses. Don't come cryin' when the anti-gunners set precedent in CA and then continue to expand to yours.

Sounds like your a big Blue Falcon type of guy. Hey, India, Golf, Mike......</div></div>

i think his point was you are acting like we abandoned you because we dont want to deal with the hassle or care about people in Cali. thats holier than thou. People screamed far and wide all over the US about cali. But the real issue to me is that people in YOUR state voted that shit in. What are WE supposed to do about it? If you dont like the stuff in your state, then you change it. or move to state not ran that way. Dont blame the other 49 states because your state population is retarded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmc02xx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bass Ackwardz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CTD has been a pain in the ass for Californians (at least for me) for a long time. Their company puts limitations on what they will sell to this state even thought these items are legal to posses, buy, sell and use in CA.

Bill </div></div>

Sounds like your a big Blue Falcon type of guy. Hey, India, Golf, Mike......</div></div>

i think his point was you are acting like we abandoned you because we dont want to deal with the hassle or care about people in Cali. thats holier than thou. People screamed far and wide all over the US about cali. But the real issue to me is that people in YOUR state voted that shit in. What are WE supposed to do about it? If you dont like the stuff in your state, then you change it. or move to state not ran that way. Dont blame the other 49 states because your state population is retarded. </div></div>

Pointing out people that don't want to deal with CA residents is "holier than thou"? Hmmmmm. That makes absolutely no sense. You have a firm grasp of the obvious, yes, people did vote these ridiculous laws in. What are you supposed to do about it? How about exactly what I said above, and not support companies or people that refuse to sell items that are legal to buy, sell, posses and use in CA. It makes the anti-gunners happy when people in CA don't get what they are legally able to own.

I hate that dumbass statement that you made about moving. You think putting your head in the sand will make problems go away? So let's say I move. CA continues to further restrict gun laws, comes up with some bullshit statistic on how it's working so well, and then it gets adopted by the country. Did I make that simple enough for you?

I knew some idiot was gonna say the "move" line. I was hoping to preempt that lame comment by stating it myself. Your reading comprehension is terrible by the way. All I've done in this reply is repeat myself. Take your time and read my initial post more than once. If you have something with substance, then post it.

Seriously, read my initial post, sound out the words, take your time... It's not an attack on anybody so stop getting defensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harleymann02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope they fold soon though because the anti gun crowd surely wont be giving them business.</div></div>

This. they're fags.

The California debate has been beat to death since the laws took place. They are shitty ineffective laws that were voted in by NON gun owners. To abandon our brothers in California is just supporting the anti-gun public. But make no mistake, by doing what you are doing you are leaving the pro-gun public of California out in the cold. I would take it as far and telling those people that they are borderline anti-gun themselves by not selling to Californians because you have set forth your own form of gun control that is beyond what the laws put forth. Our brothers in California need our support, not our backs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herro prease</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: harleymann02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hope they fold soon though because the anti gun crowd surely wont be giving them business.</div></div>

This. they're fags. </div></div>

This kind of talk does nothing but make us sound like fucktards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The California debate has been beat to death since the laws took place. They are shitty ineffective laws that were voted in by NON gun owners. To abandon our brothers in California is just supporting the anti-gun public. But make no mistake, by doing what you are doing you are leaving the pro-gun public of California out in the cold. I would take it as far and telling those people that they are borderline anti-gun themselves by not selling to Californians because you have set forth your own form of gun control that is beyond what the laws put forth. Our brothers in California need our support, not our backs. </div></div>

I would find it very hard to live there again, I:
2gx3fux.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The California debate has been beat to death since the laws took place. They are shitty ineffective laws that were voted in by NON gun owners. To abandon our brothers in California is just supporting the anti-gun public. But make no mistake, by doing what you are doing you are leaving the pro-gun public of California out in the cold. I would take it as far and telling those people that they are borderline anti-gun themselves by not selling to Californians because you have set forth your own form of gun control that is beyond what the laws put forth. Our brothers in California need our support, not our backs. </div></div>

Awesome! I know that I speak for the rest of the pro-2A crowd that's stuck here in CA when I say, thank you sir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The California debate has been beat to death since the laws took place. They are shitty ineffective laws that were voted in by NON gun owners. To abandon our brothers in California is just supporting the anti-gun public. But make no mistake, by doing what you are doing you are leaving the pro-gun public of California out in the cold. I would take it as far and telling those people that they are borderline anti-gun themselves by not selling to Californians because you have set forth your own form of gun control that is beyond what the laws put forth. Our brothers in California need our support, not our backs. </div></div>

2gx3fux.jpg
</div></div>

While that reply is more refreshing than text, at what point do we stop running? Will the anti-gunners stop chasing at the boarder? Wouldn't you rather fight this thing across state lines than in your own home town? Is the second amendment not equally applied? Do you care that it's not equally applied? Ever hear of precedent?

I'm willing to fight without running. I'd just like a little support from my brothers across state lines. (Not the UHaul type of support either ;))

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herro_prease</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This. they're fags. </div></div>

This kind of talk does nothing but make us sound like fucktards.</div></div>

You're completely right. I should completely support companies that roll over each other trying to act more sorry for something they didn't do by making ineffectual gestures of sensitivity (and then cranking up the prices on the tertiary items), anytime something bad happens.

CTD is shit, and this horrendous marketing moves just shows how far their head is up their ass.

Geez, this is what happens when you combine inalienable rights with a bunch of idiots. They can't fall into each other fast enough trying to make concessions to an opponent that hasn't even made a move yet...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herro prease</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herro_prease</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This. they're fags. </div></div>

You're completely right. I should completely support companies that roll over each other trying to act more sorry for something they didn't do by making ineffectual gestures of sensitivity (and then cranking up the prices on the tertiary items), anytime something bad happens.

CTD is shit, and this horrendous marketing moves just shows how far their head is up their ass.

Geez, this is what happens when you combine inalienable rights with a bunch of idiots. They can't fall into each other fast enough trying to make concessions to an opponent that hasn't even made a move yet... </div></div>

Dude, it's not that you said they are bad, it's how you said it. Saying "they're fags" makes you look like a fucking idiot and thereby makes us all look like fucking idiots as a group. You can say that CTD sucks but do it with a little bit more class.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herro prease</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trental</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: herro_prease</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This. they're fags. </div></div>

Geez, this is what happens when you combine inalienable rights with a bunch of idiots. They can't fall into each other fast enough trying to make concessions to an opponent that hasn't even made a move yet... </div></div>

Dude, it's not that you said they are bad, it's how you said it. Saying "they're fags" makes you look like a fucking idiot and thereby makes us all look like fucking idiots as a group. You can say that CTD sucks but do it with a little bit more class.</div></div>

Well, you couldn't tell, but I called them fags with a really classy british accent. so really, it was pretty classy.