• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheapest place for a Kestrel?

So, I have used my phone exclusively for my dope for as long as I’ve been shooting long range.
Why would I change to this system?
And is this deal still going on if you guys convince me?
I was a phone app user for three different snipers hide’s.
Ran the app with h a kestrel drop las few years, that was a step up from relying on distant weather stations.
Now I don’t have to worry about accidents, heating up, rain and wind blown grit destroying my ever expensive phone or extra weaR n tear on it.
And while I’m not a huge believer in its wind call ability’s there are situations where it absolutely a valuable aid and even game changer.

Reactions: TACC and NiteQwill
I've had my phone overheat on hot days, similarly, I can't touch my phone screen on cold days when wearing gloves. The Kestrel fixes that.

But, yes, both do the same math. You're paying for the convenience and durability. At this price (Sportsman to Elite), it's a steal.

I bought the little Dongle that plugs into the usb on computer to upgrade my sportsman with link.

If you don’t have link on your device you need the cable.

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
So you guys talked me into it. I ordered the Kestrel. Is the $190 download a sale as well and I need to jump on it quickly, or is it always that price?

I got mine in the mail Saturday. First time user. So far, I'm very happy with the purchase. I was always hesitant to buy the cheap one for fear I was going to wish I bought the elite. At this price, and the upgradable path it was a win for me. I can't wait to actually get out to the range.

Got mine in the mail today and I can't get the firmware to update. Installed the app and it says it's connected but then it says firmware update failed and to check my internet connection. Phone is a galaxy S10 plus and it has been paired with the Kestrel. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Got mine in the mail today and I can't get the firmware to update. Installed the app and it says it's connected but then it says firmware update failed and to check my internet connection. Phone is a galaxy S10 plus and it has been paired with the Kestrel. Any ideas?

I had the same trouble....ended up having to shut off bt on phone ( note 8) and the turn it back on and let it find the kestrel. Ymmv.

You cannot update to the Elite firmware using your phone. The upgrade must be done using your PC or Mac. This is stated in the instructions.

You cannot update to the Elite firmware using your phone. The upgrade must be done using your PC or Mac. This is stated in the instructions.
I am talking about the regular firmware upgrade not the 5700 Elite upgrade. I cannot connect it to my phone until this upgrade is done. I will mess with it this evening when I get off work to see if I have any luck.

I am talking about the regular firmware upgrade not the 5700 Elite upgrade. I cannot connect it to my phone until this upgrade is done. I will mess with it this evening when I get off work to see if I have any luck.

I also recently picked up the Sportsman from Doug. It took 4 or 5 attempts to update firmware using my iPhone, but it finally took and completed. The failed attempts would start updating for maybe 10sec then said failed. I took the batteries out and restarted my phone, and it finally worked on one of the attempts. Not sure what fixed it but keep trying.

I have a brand new Kestrel 5700 4Dof that i may be listing FS soon.

Turn the Bluetooth on both devices off then on.
that’s what did it for me.

Turn the Bluetooth on both devices off then on.
that’s what did it for me.
No luck restarted both devices, turned blue tooth on and off both devices. Same result as yesterday.

Attachments

• Resized_20200428_161432.jpeg
    Resized_20200428_161432.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 49
Firmware upgrades (even sans Elite) are best with the computer. Have you tried? It's very easy.

I also have an Android (Pixel) and have no issues connecting the Bluetooth. Everything up to date on your phone, as well?

Ordered mine yesterday. Looks like it will make it all the way across the country in time for me to try it out this weekend.

Mine came in today, wow this dude ( Doug) upgraded the shipping to priority at no extra charge, now that’s customer service, can’t play with it now can’t find the battery I’ll have to pic one up tomorrow, no worries at that price I’ll gladly buy the battery.

Mine came in today, wow this dude ( Doug) upgraded the shipping to priority at no extra charge, now that’s customer service, can’t play with it now can’t find the battery I’ll have to pic one up tomorrow, no worries at that price I’ll gladly buy the battery.
Mine was tucked down into the lower, outer pocket on the top of the case. It was in the bag with the lanyard.

Reactions: erslll
Nice addition is having a target card with different targets locked. HUGE upgrade from the 4500.

Reactions: Steel head
Thanks for posting this sale up, I just ordered the sportsman from Cameraland.

Reactions: NiteQwill
Thanks for the link, I have an old kestrel 4500 and Ballistic AE on my iphone but this deal seems too good to be true! Couldnt pass it up so I just ordered one from Doug

Order one from Doug as well.

This grinds me gears, Bluetooth is Bluetooth why on earth did Kestrel make this unit only work with there"LiNK Dongle" that doesn't' even support profile transfers?
And then if you want to use AB loader to transfer profile you need a $60 usb cable? Sigh.

Order one from Doug as well.

This grinds me gears, Bluetooth is Bluetooth why on earth did Kestrel make this unit only work with there"LiNK Dongle" that doesn't' even support profile transfers?
And then if you want to use AB loader to transfer profile you need a $60 usb cable? Sigh.
I created and stored profiles in my kestrel phone app and can easily transfer them within the dongle or cable
The only need I have for the dongle was to upgrade to elite offf of my computer.

Forgive my ignorance here everyone, but I am completely new to kestrels and was looking at Doug's deal a few days ago. Just a question, does the sportsman give u ballistic charts, drop charts, etc as is or do u need the upgrade? Thanks in advance and my 3rd grade teacher said 'there is never a dumb question' haha

Forgive my ignorance here everyone, but I am completely new to kestrels and was looking at Doug's deal a few days ago. Just a question, does the sportsman give u ballistic charts, drop charts, etc as is or do u need the upgrade? Thanks in advance and my 3rd grade teacher said 'there is never a dumb question' haha
Never a dumb question! Only dumb answers...😉 yep, it comes with Applied Ballistics.

This sums up differences and changes across models and firmware: https://kestrelinstruments.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/40/

Reactions: 10ring1 and chrome
Good hell I am so glad I came browsed the Hide... yesterday I was about 1 beer away from buying a Kestrel 3500NV for $199. Something kept telling me no just wait. Today I came here to see if one was for sale used in the classifieds. Saw this post at the top of the list.

Reactions: NiteQwill
Good hell I am so glad I came browsed the Hide... yesterday I was about 1 beer away from buying a Kestrel 3500NV for $199. Something kept telling me no just wait. Today I came here to see if one was for sale used in the classifieds. Saw this post at the top of the list.
You'll come out really ahead taking advantage of this deal.

Had a chance to try mine out today. Drop data was right on. Didn't figure out how to get a real time wind number until I got home so.... that was a little frustrating but completely my fault for not reading the instructions as well as I should have. Shot at 460, 600, 750 and 1000. The 460 drop data was maybe a 1/4 MOA high but everything else was right on.

Had a chance to try mine out today. Drop data was right on. Didn't figure out how to get a real time wind number until I got home so.... that was a little frustrating but completely my fault for not reading the instructions as well as I should have. Shot at 460, 600, 750 and 1000. The 460 drop data was maybe a 1/4 MOA high but everything else was right on.
The best part is you can adjust and true your data. So if you are 0.25 MOA high, you can tell the Kestrel that...

Reactions: erslll and TACC
Ok, I have been debating on buying one of these as well, and said what the hell. If all of you guys are saying it's such a great deal , I'll jump in on it.

First time owning one, will definitely looking for tech support in the near future.

$249 for the sportsman is just about 50% off

Ok, I have been debating on buying one of these as well, and said what the hell. If all of you guys are saying it's such a great deal , I'll jump in on it.

First time owning one, will definitely looking for tech support in the near future.

$249 for the sportsman is just about 50% off
I’m glad I waited and got a great deal but I wish I had gotten one long ago.
It’s nice to not have to pull phone out and worry about it sliding down a hillside or accidentally stepping on it.