• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheapest place for a Kestrel?

I went to the website for the upgrade only option, I purchased the dongle for $23 on Amazon, the website would never process my order regardless of card used.

Spoke to Corrie this morning , when I explained the problem she volunteered to resolve it. I had the file within a half hour or less, the upgrade is complete and very easy as others have said.

I have limited interaction with their support but I am liking it so far. A thumbs up to Corrie

had the 4500nv and the washout was terrible and altitude was off by like 400 ft.

just ordered one from Doug. $250 can’t be beat. Free shipping and no tax it’s a no brainer

Reactions: TACC
Anybody else having wonky battery meter readings with their sportsman? I just got my sportsman last week and upgraded it last night. First time I turned it on it was at 100% but now its all over the place 11-40% and I've hardly messed with it waiting for the upgrade.

I've got a 5500ag kestrel that I've been using for spraying and for environmentals for my ab mobile app,, its not like that and i don't recall if I've changed the battery since I got it 2 years ago.

Last edited:
Anybody else having wonky battery meter readings with their sportsman? I just got my sportsman last week and upgraded it last night. First time I turned it on it was at 100% but now its all over the place 11-40% and I've hardly messed with it waiting for the upgrade.

I've got a 5500ag kestrel that I've been using for spraying and for environmentals for my ab mobile app,, its not like that and i don't recall if I've changed the battery since I got it 2 years ago.
Make sure you're in the right battery mode: lithium, alkaline, ni-mh.

Mine showed ~40% after doing the firmware upgrade. I took batteries out and put back in. I believe it continued showing lower battery % for a day but now it’s showing 100% again after using it a few times over the last week.

I forgot to mention that mine did the same the first day, and like Brett said, after the upgrade it no longer shows the fluctuating battery.

Ok, interesting thanks.

I did just get off phone with Kestrel as when I did the update last night I could still only put 3 guns on it when I was setting it up this morning. Looks like it updated the firmware but not to the elite version he said so they sent me another file and I will try again tonight. I asked about the battery thing and he said it was a known complaint in the sportsman and they may do a firmware update to fix it. Sounds like if I can get the upgrade done tonight it will have it fixed.

Update: 2nd try at upgrading was successfull but don't think it did anything for the battery metter. Will get a new battery just to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
I have a brand new Kestrel 5700 4Dof that i may be listing FS soon.

Why are you selling ? I've been looking at a kestrel for a little while now and was contemplating the 4dof or the 5700 elite. Leaning more towards the 4dof since I've been using the app. Have zero experience with these things, is one more difficult to operate than the other ?

Also just jumped in on this deal today! Looking forward to its arrival and then upgrade!

I upgraded mine to Elite a couple of days ago and have been noticing weird battery readings also. Seems like it says 44% on the first screen but then 75% on the second AB screen when you turn it on. I will have to try taking the battery out and putting it back in.

I didn't completely understand what the target card was before the upgrade but am more than impressed once I did figure it out. Since all of my distance shooting has so far been on the same range with known distance targets, seems pretty handy to set those targets up once and then be able to quickly access them each time I shoot. Yes, probably going to be close to the same data most of the time but it will be interesting to see how the weather does effect it.

Ordered late Friday, shows up early Monday! Ordered the dongle from Amazon on Thursday with prime, still not here!
Thanks Doug for the super service!

same thing...battery hasnt run out tho

I have limited interaction with their support but I am liking it so far. A thumbs up to Corrie

I just wanted to add another thumbs up for Corrie. She’s all that customer service should strive to be. Friendly, knowledgable, helpful, and customer focused. Kestrel is fortunate to have her.

Any benefit to calling Doug other than to say hi over just ordering online.

I have the 4dof but can’t really pass up the AB version for this price.

I looked on camerallandny.com, couldn't find anything for Kestrel. I'm looking for a 5700 with Hornady 4DOF.

Any benefit to calling Doug other than to say hi over just ordering online.

I have the 4dof but can’t really pass up the AB version for this price.

yeah, the benefit to you in calling is that he doesn’t run afoul of manufacturer minimum advertised price policies. From my personal experience with him it can save a few more pennies in most cases.

From what I have seen they are MAP priced everywhere. I did get one price matched at scheels from the 4th of july sale on Kestrel's site

From what I have seen they are MAP priced everywhere. I did get one price matched at scheels from the 4th of july sale on Kestrel's site
This kinda a semi-older thread. But Doug was running Sportsmans for a steal... then many of us upgraded to Elite through Kestrel well under normal price or MIL/LEO/Industry pricing Kestrel provides.