• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Cheapest rings/base you would get

ashiha

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2011
Arizona
Having a debate with a friend. I'm a firm believer after experiencing cheap products that you should buy once and cry once. I use Seekins on my rifles. They have treated me well in the past and I have no reason to take my business elsewhere. Buddy is building a rifle and wants to go cheap on his stuff and thinks some stuff like a weaver base and SWFA rings will do the job just as good (308 R700).

So I'm curious as to the general opinion; What would be the cheapest base/rings you would put on your rifle?

I use the Burris extreme tacticals almost exclusively anymore. I used the leupold style rings for years until I had one fail under heavy recoil. IMO there is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. Big name doesn't always mean best product or value.

I think the Burris Extremes are cheap junk, but to each their own.

For me, the low end of acceptable is a Weaver rail with recoil lug, and a set of TPS rings. An even better option, however, is a Weaver rail, and a set of quality used rings from the classifieds here, or elsewhere. The Nightforce UL rings on my rifle were $50 used.

egw base, warne rings - the advantages gained by anything more $$$ are largely imagined

bedding the base saves more grief

For a quality ring that doesn't cost a lot, look to Talley one piece.
Talley Lightweight Aluminum 30mm Scopemount
They work very well, but do limit mounting options. Other than those, the least expensive i would recommend would be TPS. Personally I run Badger's and Aaland, but have the Talley's on my wife's 243.
(As a side note, I bought a set of the Burris Ex.'s, and have never seen a bigger pile of poop in my life. They would not hold a SS 10x at all, I wouldn't trust them to hold a flash-light on a 22!! And these are the same rings as the SWFA rings. )

Im running the Weaver rail with the recoil lug with Loopy MK IV rings on an '06 rifle. All in under $150....

In my opinion and it's already been said, EGW base and TPS rings. Both are well made products that won't break the bank on a cheaper set up.

Cheapest - Weaver grand-slam + Weaver tac base
Anyone not on welfare - TPS on top of TPS

P.S. I wouldn't buy anything over TPS either, unless you have a special-application niche, and willing to deal with the headaches that entails.

Interesting. It seems as though people mostly go for the medium priced options with TPS.

I've got a Weaver base and rings because it was all I could afford. Also ammunition has been a bit out of my budget lately, but I can't wait to see if there's any disadvantage.

Cheap stuff might seem acceptable to you, but it seems like a waste of time/money to me after trying a variety of different bases/rings over the past 30+ years.

For rifle rail or rings, Nightforce is about the cheapest I will use, but I do have one rifle with Talley bases and rings (a Weatherby action).

I also have one .22LR with an EGW base (trued up and bedded), but it will soon be thrown away and replaced with a custom set (rings/bases) from Kelbly.

Learned a lesson some years back with Burris rings, never again.

I have some revolvers with Leupold bases and rings, and would not recommend anything less for handguns (SSK and Weigand may be better choices for heavy recoiling cartridges).

For a rail system, I like Seekins/Seekins. The fit and alignment is absolutely outstanding. I'm sure many of the other tactical rings would fit just as well, but I really prefer the flush mounting screws over the cross bolt that sticks out on other styles.

On hunting rifles, I don't mind the Leupold Dual Dovetail (not the front dovetail with rear windage mount). They seem very solid and are smooth and low profile.

My worst experience recently was actually with Talley one piece rings/bases. Any misalignment of the receiver holes will translate directly to your scope with no opportunity to adjust between the ring and base. Your only option is to lap the rings, which I despise. About all that lapping the rings can accomplish is taking a misaligned set up and making it fit looser. Not a good recipe for a solid mount.