• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Check out my new Target AR15!!!

BadBowtie03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Palmetto, FLA
Hey guys check out my new target AR
icon_smile_cool.gif
icon_smile_cool.gif
I just got done building it... well kinda. I didnt build it from scratch just different parts added and or changed around. It is a .223 National Match RRA upper with a YHM diamond rail, and JP enterprises exhaust brake. The scope is a falcon menace mil/mil with leupold steel mk4 rings. The lower is a spikes tactical with an AR gold trigger and a hogue grip. The stock as you can see is a magpul ubr and it also has a yhm bipod mount with a harris 1a2lm bipod. The one with notches. Tell me what yall think... do ya think it will be pretty accurate? We are going to load up some sierra 65grain game kings for target stuff and for coyote hunting. Do you think that will be a good round? I heard they are really accurate... we are going to use varget powder and federal brass. Im not sure yet on the powder charge. I dont think i missed anything...

Disclaimer: Ok and im sorry about not having the safety on... please dont bitch at me about that. I was practicing dry firing out side with the gold trigger and this thing has never had a round down the tube yet. let alone one even in the chamber.

2010-02-25171353.jpg

2010-02-25171250.jpg

2010-02-25171323.jpg

2010-02-25171439.jpg

2010-02-25171501.jpg

2010-02-25171533.jpg

2010-02-25171551.jpg

2010-02-25171619.jpg

url]

url]

Re: Check out my new Target AR15!!!

Awesome setup! Congrats!

That is a very pretty rifle, if I may offer a couple suggestions, it will shoot better.

First, unless you are a real big guy, that scope is gonna be a bit high for a good cheek weld. Getting your head in the same spot is critcal for making consistent shots.

Other thing is kinda laong the line of the first, you may like a PRS stock better, so you can adjust it for the good cheek weld. Shooting the 5.56 is lot easier than the 7.62 but you want to maintain good habits.

Show us how it shoots, hope it is as good as it looks!

Yeah I hear ya... I was trying to keep the weight down a bit so I went with the ubr stock. Right now it feels ok, it might need to be a bit lower for my big goober head. Is there any kind of rise out there for that stock? Or would you just reccommend a lower mount? thanks

About the safety, I never leave mine on because I leave the trigger discharged. It's slightly(and I mean VERY slightly) better for the three dollar springs in most trigger mechanism.

If I take it out for pictures, I usually just drop the BCG unless I have something special to show for it.

Back on topic, Great looking rifle! I like the PRS stock on my AR15, but it does add considerable weight to it, and your rig looks on the lighter side of things.

Looks like it has potential. What are the specs on the barrel? Also, you are probably going to want a different bipod for most shooting situations (need a swivel and probably a shorter version).

Definitely need a range report when you have time to get some rounds down range!

Great!
Now that the AR is done.

Take that poor tired Weber Kettle Grill down to the VFW so it can be ceremoniously & respectfully destroyed.

Spring is 3 weeks away!!!

John
crazy.gif

The barrel is a 20 incher with 1/8 twist... anybody got any suggestions for loads with those 65 grain game kings? Are they pretty deadly? Accurate? Thanks for the compliments! And we will see how I like the bipod on that gun... I have the same one on the ar10 and like it there...

+1 on the Magpul PRS. It will set that rifle off in the looks department and also have a cheek rest for the proper eye relief. It is a long barrel so it needs a Precision styled stock. I understand the heaviness issue but that long of rifle is not ever going to be used in CQB.

Overall very nice looking rifle.

I just put a PRS on my AR15. It has a 24" heavy barrel and I was a little worried about the wait but jstarsz is right. Your not clearing a house with that thing and what I found is that although it added a couple pounds it really helped the balance a lot. Still leaving it a little muzzle heavy but making it more manuvarable off the bipod.

PRS is the way to go for sure. Positive cheek weld with a little practice and adjustment. Good luck!!

Oh ok cool, i dont remember exactly who went second... but either way... we will be at the next sniper event hopefully and we will arrive in either my baby blue colored silverado or he has a red jeep grand cherokee with fog lights on the front. Come say hello!

Nice rig...I agree with the PRS comments. I have one on mine and don't worry about the weight.
url]
[/img]
DPMS 24" Cryo'ed barrel
free float handguard
Jewell trigger
Magpul PRS stock
DPMS upper&lower
Scope thrown on for pics...Leupold 6.5x20

Don't mean to hijack this thread...just up for comparison.

The PRS is the perfect stock for precision AR shooting, but the UBR is an excellent stock as well. It is just more suited for a carbine. with a 1 in 8 twist, shoot 69-75 grainers thru it. You might be cutting it close with 77s, as they recommend a 1 in 7 twist, but grab a box of 50 and try em out. My 1 in 7 seems to like 69 SMKs on top of 24.5 gr of varget. With 77s, RL15, varget and VV N140 seem to work well. Still have yet to take it out past 200 yds, but I am really looking forward to throwing the 77s out to 500.

That's a sharp looking rifle. How do you like that YHM forearm? I'm considering getting one myself for an SPR that I plan on piecing together in the next few months. Was it easy to install?

Hey guys thanks for the comments, yeah I love the forearm. It is very reasonably priced and it wasnt too bad to install. I had never done one before where you had to take it all apart buy I got that DPMS wrench and it wasnt too bad.

I did end up getting the PRS stock and I like it a whole lot more.

That exhaust brake is great too! I know it might not be necessary, but this think literally feels like a cap gun. I can just stare at the target and over and over put on in the some spot. Its great.

Yes the brake is stainless and Im not sure about them making a 30 cal one. I would just check with JP enterprises... thanks

The 65 grain SGK can be an accurate bullet. My RRA Varmint shoots it sub moa with 25 g of H335 in Win brass and Remington 7 1/2 primer. The Nosler 60 g Ballistic Tip is also worth a look.

How are you liking the AR Gold trigger? I am curious how it stacks up against the Geissele Match? I have a JP on one AR, and the Geissele on another. I am looking to build a dedicated lower for a Grendel upper.

I was going to suggest firing up the grill, in celebration of a job well done. Now if it/you shoot as good as it looks, Burgers, just a little pink in the middle.

Sparks!, Now I know what my DPMS 24" Heavy will look like when my PRS is installed.

Disclaimer oh hell ,now the target at 200 yds will sort out the bugs if any -nice set up ..i have learn abit working on ar myself many things will work but the right mix for the job is key !