• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Cheek Hardware

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Here it is Corey,

Base piece is finished. Just have to make the block that goes into the cheek piece. Everything drops right into the T/C inlet so were good.

We'll be in paint here very soon.

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

Re: Cheek Hardware

Chad, is this something you guys are going to be selling? Or is this just something you throw into your amazing rifles? I'm kind of looking for doing something similar way down the road for a stock I want to make.

Hardware looks just like the KMW LoggerHead hardware.
    The upper assembly design is identical and the lower unit is very close.

Clay

The lower unit is nowhere near close.

I'm using a spring loaded steel claw to grab the pins. The KNW slices the center of the base to allow the screw to clammer down around the pins.

The pin bores are diamond honed so that they run like ice skates. Nice and slick till you snug up the clamp screw. Then it locks down solid with very little screw pressure required.

Also the unit is form fitted to the stock inlet. It doesn't have the "sprocket teeth" on the ends for the epoxy to bite onto. I grooved the periphery so that you don't see it. Its also at a right angle to the direction the part would naturally want to try and come loose from. Not that these things really have a habit of coming loose.

The top is virtually identical. In fact that's what I used to model it just because it was quick/dirty and had the 1.500" center to center hole spacing. I added the bronze washers just to be a little different so that I didn't completely plagiarize the thing.

I decided to skip the C clip thing as its just another part to loose in the field (ever drop one in the grass? -good luck finding it) Instead I engraved a scale on a pin. This way you pull it, do whatever you have to do, and reassemble to the line you were using.

On the target rifle cheek hardware, I make it so that the top is removable and the height setting is retained. The jack screw stays in the base. The owner didn't want a thumbwheel on this one so that's why I went this route.

Similar in some ways, vastly different in others.

Not Thrush

One of the original speed gods Clay Smith

That is his logo Mr. Horsepower

No disrespect just got to give proper homage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Toby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not Thrush

One of the original speed gods Clay Smith

That is his logo Mr. Horsepower

No disrespect just got to give proper homage
    </div></div>

Amen. It's got Lonnie's twist on it though with the dollar bill cigar. . .
    smile.gif

Looks nice! Any chance you'll be offering this as a kit for us DIY's? The KMW hardware has been in very short supply this summer.