• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheek Riser for Seekins Element

uppercut11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2020
I just received my Seekins Precision Havak Element in 6.5 PRC and mounted my Leupold VX-5HD 4-20 x 52 scope on Seekins low rings. I need about 9/16" of extra cheek rise and am looking for recommendations on the best cheek riser to add. I have looked at:
1) Bradley Adjustable - Expensive compared to others and also look kind of clunky with the velcro straps. The advantage of course is not having to drill the stock.
2) Victor Titan - Inexpensive but only adjustable in increments. However, one space should put me about right. Not sure I like the idea of two screws into the top of the stock. Doesn't seem like that connection would be very strong with just screws threading into fairly thin plastic and then foam and seems like if you damage the threads you are screwed.
3) Hawkeye - Inexpensive and adjustable in any increment. You have to drill clear through stock but at least it is then a bolt to nut engagement. Without a cutout for the hand not sure if it would get in the way of the shooting hand. I like the knobs better than the large knobs on the Matthews.
4) Matthews adjustable - More expensive than Victor or Hawkeye by about double. You have to drill clear through stock but at least it is then a bolt to nut engagement. Has a cutout for shooting hand. Adjustable in any increment. Has an upgrade to allen key but I can't tell if that is replacing the large plastic knobs or what.

I appreciate any input on these options or others I haven't considered. I am also interested to hear from anyone who has installed the adjustable ones that drill through stock to see how difficult this was to get it lined up and working right. I have watched videos and they make it sound fairly forgiving, but I am awful nervous to drill through my stock!

I've done two Matthews, one in a wood stock and one in a B&C synthetic. It was a pain to get it lined up on a small drill press, but I'm picky; I ended up building a jig that would hold a stock to the drill press platform (more important for pillar jobs, which was my main focus) out of some 2x8's and some bolts/nuts/washers. You could do it with a hand drill if you aren't too picky and use a slightly larger drill bit.

As for the Matthews hardware, I replaced the original knobs with these, they feel way better to my fingertips and also seem nicer than plastic:

Seems silly to take an ultralight rifle and put something big and clunky on it. I'd advocate for something like the manners ultralite cheek riser. Will take a little work on your end, but should be a nice lightweight option.

Reactions: Stoweit
I've done two Matthews, one in a wood stock and one in a B&C synthetic. It was a pain to get it lined up on a small drill press, but I'm picky; I ended up building a jig that would hold a stock to the drill press platform (more important for pillar jobs, which was my main focus) out of some 2x8's and some bolts/nuts/washers. You could do it with a hand drill if you aren't too picky and use a slightly larger drill bit.

As for the Matthews hardware, I replaced the original knobs with these, they feel way better to my fingertips and also seem nicer than plastic:

Thanks for the tip. I do like the look of those much better than the knobs that come with it. So have you been happy with your Matthews? Anything you don't like on them?

Dude you just spent 2700 on a rifle now you want to save 10.00 on a cheek riser. Lol ok
It's not a matter of saving $10. As I said, it seems to have fewer options than the Matthews and is also more expensive. Why would I buy something that seems inferior and is also more expensive?

Seems silly to take an ultralight rifle and put something big and clunky on it. I'd advocate for something like the manners ultralite cheek riser. Will take a little work on your end, but should be a nice lightweight option.
I could not agree with you more! It is frustrating that I can't find weights for any of these products. I can find a post on here about the manners cheek riser but can't find anything on their website. Is that something you can just buy or do you have to have a manners stock and get them to work with you to add the cheek riser?

Try the stock doctor. Seen some great work on Grayboes.
All I can find (gun stock related) when I search for stock doctor is a guy that does custom wood stocks. Could not find anything on cheek risers except he does them for shotguns. Am I on the wrong page?

Why not foam, duck tape, and a stock pack over? Simple and cheap.
It would certainly work but the foam would compress a bit over time. Mostly I just spent 4x the price I have ever spent on a gun before and don't want to duct tape it. I do appreciate the suggestion though. Would probably be the way I would go on most of my other guns.

This is who Farmall was referencing - he's a member here as well. Not sure if he'd be able to do anything with the Seekins stock, but worth asking. He does top notch work!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 9.58.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 9.58.12 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 131
Make your own saddle out of a sheet of kydex. Mount with velcro tape.

I could not agree with you more! It is frustrating that I can't find weights for any of these products. I can find a post on here about the manners cheek riser but can't find anything on their website. Is that something you can just buy or do you have to have a manners stock and get them to work with you to add the cheek riser?
Call them. They'll sell it separately.

Thanks for the tip. I do like the look of those much better than the knobs that come with it. So have you been happy with your Matthews? Anything you don't like on them?

Other than my Bergara B14 HMR, the Matthews is the only riser I’ve used. I like it for the price, and honestly I’ll never own another rifle that doesn’t have an adjustable comb one way or another. My one wish with the Matthews is that it was a little narrower up top, I feel I have to roll my head over the riser noticeably more to get into the scope’s eyebox than the Bergara. But I’m not sure how feasible that is, since it naturally has to start wider than the stock to install.

I’m not convinced that the Manners Elite Cheek Piece which has been recommended wouldn’t have the same issue, though.

Ultimately, the Matthews is a high-quality execution of a tailgate solution. I like them for what they are, they’re great, but on a $2700 rifle I might look for something a little cleaner and more professional. Call that stockdoc fella, see what he says.

This is who Farmall was referencing - he's a member here as well. Not sure if he'd be able to do anything with the Seekins stock, but worth asking. He does top notch work!
Thanks! I contacted Joe at the email address you sent and he has been super responsive. I ordered a victory titan since it is fairly cheap to see how I like it and how much it weighs. I need a riser on another gun too so if I don't love it for the element I will put it on that savage.

This is a stupid question to most of you probably but I have need had experience with a stock with the kmw loggerhead hardware installed for an adjustable cheek riser. I know it is standard on some of the nice stocks like the manners. My question is how exactly does it work? From what I can tell you use an allen wrench from the side to lock it in so it can't pull out and it looks like you use e-clips to set your height where you want it so it is the same when you take it on and off? I have seen reference to it being adjusted side to side (toward or away from the shooter) but how is this adjustment made? If anyone knows of a review or video showing all of this I would appreciate a link. I have been searching but can't find anything.

Last edited:
Other than my Bergara B14 HMR, the Matthews is the only riser I’ve used. I like it for the price, and honestly I’ll never own another rifle that doesn’t have an adjustable comb one way or another. My one wish with the Matthews is that it was a little narrower up top, I feel I have to roll my head over the riser noticeably more to get into the scope’s eyebox than the Bergara. But I’m not sure how feasible that is, since it naturally has to start wider than the stock to install.

I’m not convinced that the Manners Elite Cheek Piece which has been recommended wouldn’t have the same issue, though.

Ultimately, the Matthews is a high-quality execution of a tailgate solution. I like them for what they are, they’re great, but on a $2700 rifle I might look for something a little cleaner and more professional. Call that stockdoc fella, see what he says.
Thanks. That is good insight on the width of the riser. I agree that seems to be a necessity of the design but I can see where it would have that issue. I had not considered that before. I reached out to Matthews and they said that system is a little under 5 oz so roughly the same as the loggerhead hardwear kit that the stock doc would be installing.

Just to close out this thread, I went with the Stock Dock and he did an outstanding job. Could not be more pleased. Highly recommend him!

stock pic2.JPG
stock pic1.jpg
I realized today there is a problem. With the riser adjusted the bolt can't open far enough to chamber a round from the magazine. Some material will have to be removed from the riser. I texted the Stock Doc and he said to send it back and he will fix and send it back the next day.